What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show Thread 2007

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
byrne_rovelli_fan82 said:
. didn't like Peter's attitude either. Trying to be all clever and make his lot loook so smart. I have never really had a problem with SOuths but until him and Crowe took over they are really ticking me off

Fancy that huh? A club official defending his organization. :sarcasm:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think most people don't have a problem with 90% of what Souths do, its how they go about doing them

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Jobdog said:
I think most people don't have a problem with 90% of what Souths do, its how they go about doing them

Can you give me an example of something not involving Craig Wing?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The whole drummer boy fiasco for one. Souths were the only team in the competition at that stage to not have cheerleaders. Why did they do it? Because things were a little bit quiet on the media front in the previous few weeks. It seems to me that Souths do things just for nothing else but media exposure. To be honest, its hardly surprising when you have good ole Rusty at the helm.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Jobdog said:
The whole drummer boy fiasco for one. Souths were the only team in the competition at that stage to not have cheerleaders. Why did they do it? Because things were a little bit quiet on the media front in the previous few weeks. It seems to me that Souths do things just for nothing else but media exposure. To be honest, its hardly surprising when you have good ole Rusty at the helm.

Fair enough, but that is only two examples. And I don't know if the club would of gone through the hassle of hiring someone to choreograph, hiring drummers, etc for the simple fact that things were quiet on the news front. I'd like to think they did it to enhance the game day experience of the fans.

Clearly you have an issue with clubs marketing themselves. Obviously no concept of PR either. Thats cool.

yobbo84

Coach
S.S.T.I.D said:
Fair enough, but that is only two examples. And I don't know if the club would of gone through the hassle of hiring someone to choreograph, hiring drummers, etc for the simple fact that things were quiet on the news front. I'd like to think they did it to enhance the game day experience of the fans.

Clearly you have an issue with clubs marketing themselves. Obviously no concept of PR either. Thats cool.

I noticed that there were drummers as the players ran out in SOO2. Catching on perhaps? I think the problem is Souths are doing things in terms of marketing and sponsorship that are unheard of. People don't understand what's going on so their first reaction is to rubbish it. Like it or not, a lot of what Souths are doing will become the norm in 2-3 years.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
S.S.T.I.D said:

Marketing themselves? :lol: Please.

On the subject of the cheerleaders, they didn't want the "hassle" of getting someone to choreograph? WTF were they doing for the previous 8-10 years? Souths had cheerleaders then if I remember correctly. Oh and "enhancing the game day experience" of fans with drummer boys, for sure, I know how that works :sarcasm:

You said it yourself - things were quiet on the news front in regards to the club, so they thought they'd be "different" so they'd get exposure.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
yobbo84 said:
I noticed that there were drummers as the players ran out in SOO2. Catching on perhaps? I think the problem is Souths are doing things in terms of marketing and sponsorship that are unheard of. People don't understand what's going on so their first reaction is to rubbish it. Like it or not, a lot of what Souths are doing will become the norm in 2-3 years.

Nah mate, we are just attention seekers. ;-)

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Jobdog said:
Marketing themselves? :lol: Please.

On the subject of the cheerleaders, they didn't want the "hassle" of getting someone to choreograph? WTF were they doing for the previous 8-10 years? Souths had cheerleaders then if I remember correctly. Oh and "enhancing the game day experience" of fans with drummer boys, for sure, I know how that works :sarcasm:

You said it yourself - things were quiet on the news front in regards to the club, so they thought they'd be "different" so they'd get exposure.

OK, lets say that Russ did it purely out of boredom. In 12 months that is two examples.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Jobdog said:

That's what the AFL does. That's what soccer does.

Publicity about the game is positive.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't have a major problem with what Souths do, its how they do it. For example, the drummer boy thing - was it really worth being splashed across the newspapers for the coming days after they decided to do it? Why did they make such a big deal? The answer is because they wanted to be all "look at me, look at me" which can be attributed to Rusty and PHAC. Since those two have taken over, it seems all we hear about is Souths this and Souths that.

Mr Saab

Referee
Jobdog said:
Whats so Newcastle about the Footy Show? Apart from Chief and Matt? I'll admit that Chief is starting to not get so funny anymore, so feel free to get rid of him

When did he ever start to be funny...let alone "starting to not get so funny anymore"

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Jobdog said:
I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't have a major problem with what Souths do, its how they do it. For example, the drummer boy thing - was it really worth being splashed across the newspapers for the coming days after they decided to do it? Why did they make such a big deal? The answer is because they wanted to be all "look at me, look at me" which can be attributed to Rusty and PHAC. Since those two have taken over, it seems all we hear about is Souths this and Souths that.

You know what? For a while there it was actually pissing me off so I can appreciate how it would've annoyed opposition fans.

What I am saying is that it makes news by virtue of the fact that it is Russell Crowe. We aren't doing things with the intention of making the from of the paper. It just happens and will continue to happen until Russell heads back to the U. S and A.

yobbo84

Coach
Jobdog said:

That's great. Shouldn't it be a wake up call to the other 14 clubs (the Titans are doing enough self-promotion) to start marketing themselves better?

Mr Saab

Referee
Once souths start to get some success on the field (make the 8) plus the combo of Rusty and PHAC, they will become the most hated team in the comp.
Not that thats a bad thing mind you....Manly are hated again and i am sure their supporters dont care
Brisbane also...care factor zero

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Mr Saab said:
Once souths start to get some success on the field (make the 8) plus the combo of Rusty and PHAC, they will become the most hated team in the comp.
Not that thats a bad thing mind you....Manly are hated again and i am sure their supporters dont care
Brisbane also...care factor zero

Absolutely no doubt. It is already starting to happen.