What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

Meth

Staff member
Gould for Johns will further tip the balance (hopefully) of it being a more Rugby League focussed show

God-King Dean

Immortal
The show is definitely better than previous years, & I look forward to watching it now. But I fear those years have already done the damage & this year or the next will be the last.

bartman

Immortal
The show is definitely better than previous years, & I look forward to watching it now. But I fear those years have already done the damage & this year or the next will be the last.
They need to start getting a recent ex player on there in interviewing segments or something from now on, so that they can groom a new host for when Fatty gives it away.

The new host has to be someone that will be relevant to the next generation imo, not just another existing commentator or an older ex-player. Can't think of anyone though :(.

babyg

Juniors
Great show, keep Magnay, Gould, Vautin and Vossy. They should have a rule for guests - only those who speak well and have something intelligent to say.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
was really impressed by gould and greenburg. They spoke honestly, passionately but remained level headed. Both represented the code extremely well. Bruno looked out of his depth. Vossy was good and the show didn't lack anything without johns. His 'humour' wasn't missed.

First time I have watched in years.. Gould was great.. Greenburg was outstanding.. He would make a fantastic future NRL CEO imho... Cullen though was a waste of space... Again it highlighted that the Bronco's a protected species after what went on at the end of last season.. It is embarrassing for the NRL..

LESStar58

Referee
Gould for Johns will further tip the balance (hopefully) of it being a more Rugby League focussed show

I have more respect for Gus now that I ever had after seeing him talk and cry last night. He is, in my opinion, greatly affected by this on a couple of levels.

The first and foremost matter is the state of mind of the girl. As he said, there is no winner in ANY of these situations.

Secondly, here is a man who is a friend of Matt and Trish. I don't think even Gus can grasp the overall seriousness this has for everyone and he's concerned for the well being and mental health of his friend and it's causing him great pain to see people he cares about suffer so greatly.

And finally, this is a man who knows it really is the last straw. Here is a man who has given his life to the code in every faucet of the game as a coach, player and now media commentator. The game is bleeding from a gaping wound and I think this would sadden anyone who loves rugby league as much as Gus does and I think nobody wants to see the game get bought out of this funk than Gus does.

LESStar58

Referee
Great show, keep Magnay, Gould, Vautin and Vossy. They should have a rule for guests - only those who speak well and have something intelligent to say.

Magnay was excellent. I did cringe slightly when Fatty offered up his "hypothetical" before Vossy spoke of the player who took him on the town one night.

StormChaser

First Grade
I think that was the best show so far this year, sad that it had to be about something negative, but I think they handled the whole situation outstandingly!
Never been a fan of Gus, but what he said was genuine, intelligent and heart felt. You couldn't NOT be affected by his words.

How about Greenberg!! What an amazing man to have associated with this game. It's leadership like this that will see this sport grow and flourish. If ever Gallop stands down, Greenberg would be perfect for the job. The Dogs are lucky to have him,

barney gumble

Juniors
I'm disappointed I missed it now so I'll have to get my hands on it.

Just go to the footy show website, all the good stuffs on there.
Outstanding show, compelling viewing. Gus won over a lot of people I reckon.
Magnay and Greenberg were also outstanding.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Sam Newman a few minutes ago on AFL Footy Show...

"Now, just before we go to the break, I want you to listen to this, and listen carefully and don't misconstrue what I'm gonna say. And what I'm about to say doesn't require applause or derision. We feel we should say this.

There's a woman in New Zealand, who is doing it tough at the minute, and we wish her and her family well. We don't know her name, we don't want to, and we don't know if she lost her job as a result of an incident that happened seven years ago.

But what we do know is a friend of ours - and friends are unconditional, that's what friendship is - a friend of ours is doing it tough as well. We do know his name, it's Matthew Johns, and we do know he lost all his jobs.

We don't condone in any way obviously what happened, but we do wish him and his family well.

We don't necessarily disagree with what this station did as far as suspending him, but I personally and I know these two boys here (Gary Lyon, James Brayshaw) who are good friends of Matthew Johns, hope he is back on channel nine sooner rather than later on the Logie winning NRL Footy Show, and wish him and his family well."

Really well done by Sam Newman. I have new found respect for the man.

Catweazle

Juniors
Gus was surprisingly articulate and sensitive. I hear he used to be a school teacher. I don't think he could have expressed himself and the feelings of a lot of people any better.

Brutus

Referee
I hear Danny Weidler is doing an exclusive interview with $BW tonight about his boxing career to be shown the The Footy Show.

Can't wait.:crazy:

Mr Saab

Referee
Typical footyshow...always giving exposure to other sports. Just when you think the show is back on track they do this.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Just heard on the BsB that the footy show tonight is interviewing SBW, The same bloke that shat on the game and bulldogs, it is a pre-recorded interview, this is a disgrace as far as I'm concerned

Latest posts