What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

Charlie124

First Grade
Excellent show tonight, i think the panel is the perfect mix too, Gus (love him or hate him) will be a great addition to the show assuming this is permanent.

bartman

Immortal
I found Voss's comment regarding a player who told him that last week, within 15 mins of entering a club/pub that he'd been offered sex three times (I think it even included group sex).

What would make eye opening TV is if they sent an undercover cameraman out with some of these guys so the public could see first hand what is on offer to these players, and the way that girls react to them.
Sure, it was an illuminating comment. But what would that show achieve? What would that show change?

Will it change anyone's behaviour? Or just reinforce it... Will it change wider perception of rugby league's image? Or again, just reinforce it...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
those are the 2 worst CEOs they could have on.

well, possibly cronullas and manlys are up there too.

not impressed with this show.

won't someone in the RL media grow some balls.
:lol: You've made some silly comments mate but this f**king tops it :lol:
im not watching it, why is Magnay 'embarassing herself'?
She submitted her tips for one team as they appeared on the screen, and then talked up the opposition. Eventually she protested her innocence saying "I'm just a woman" to which Fatty said "no means no". I :lol:ed
I found Voss's comment regarding a player who told him that last week, within 15 mins of entering a club/pub that he'd been offered sex three times (I think it even included group sex).

What would make eye opening TV is if they sent an undercover cameraman out with some of these guys so the public could see first hand what is on offer to these players, and the way that girls react to them.
I can't believe more hasn't been made of this. But of course, it's just the male's problem :roll:

Godz Illa

Coach
Sure, it was an illuminating comment. But what would that show achieve? What would that show change?

Will it change anyone's behaviour? Or just reinforce it... Will it change wider perception of rugby league's image? Or again, just reinforce it...
Won't it be 'illuminating'? Won't it inform the discussion and provide further truth which is after all, the essence of journalism? Something 4 Corners was once known for?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: bartman thinks that league is doing nothing toward the problem...

God-King Dean

Immortal
I can't believe more hasn't been made of this. But of course, it's just the male's problem :roll:

The bias against men is just as sickening.

The attitudes is best summed up in this:

Dispite what happened, people says Johns should have known better.

On the other hand, we still have people giving sympathetic towards the women after she bragged about it the next day.

" She might have realized she'd been mistreated later... "

:lol:

sando88

Not a Moderator
why do the media positively discriminate women in all these incidents.. its always the mans fault, he should have know better blah blah. what blame does the woman ever cop?

Kiki

First Grade
jesus christ some of you are deadset f**king idiots

give me a call when you read up on the psychology of sexual assault and how it actually affects women.

and btw you all KNOW i am no WOMEN ARE AWESOME MEN ARE EVIL crusader so don't even try to pull that crap with me.

bartman

Immortal
Won't it be 'illuminating'? Won't it inform the discussion and provide further truth which is after all, the essence of journalism? Something 4 Corners was once known for?
Maybe... might be for people who don't already accept that's the case, and move beyind that to what the game must do re its public image regardless.

:lol: bartman thinks that league is doing nothing toward the problem...
Not doing enough, Timmah... at least have the decency to paraphrase someone correctly, instead of just have your own fantasy debates against statements that no-one is making. :eek:

Godz Illa

Coach
Maybe... might be for people who don't already accept that's the case, and move beyind that to what the game must do re its public image regardless.
How many already accept it as the case? You're notorious on this forum for jumping all over these incidents, an almost self-appointed public image crusader, yet you admitted the insight from Voss was illuminating. What percentage of that very public would also find it illuminating? A high one, I imagine.

bartman

Immortal
How many already accept it as the case?
Who knows? All of us are just guessing, and opinions are like arseholes.
You're notorious on this forum for jumping all over these incidents, an almost self-appointed public image crusader, yet you admitted the insight from Voss was illuminating.
:lol: Notorious. It's just a discussion forum, we'd have nothing to discuss without people giving their differing opinions.

But it's the game's public image that's relevant, and the game's public image I care about. If you don't think that's important to the game's future, that's your call.

What percentage of that very public would also find it illuminating? A high one, I imagine.
That's fine. My guess is less of the greater public would bother watching such a show though. Whether that's because they already know that's what it's like out there, but still make judgements on players choices anyway, I don't know.

Who knows? All of us are just guessing, and opinions are like arseholes.

:lol: Notorious. It's just a discussion forum, we'd have nothing to discuss without people giving their differing opinions.

But it's the game's public image that's relevant, and the game's public image I care about. If you don't think that's important to the game's future, that's your call.

That's fine. My guess is less of the greater public would bother watching such a show though. Whether that's because they already know that's what it's like out there, but still make judgements on players choices anyway, I don't know.

what i find interesting bartman ( and correct me if im wrong) but a card carrying lefty like yourself seems to have forgoten that players have rights.

I understand the games image is important to you , but at what cost? how much of a players private life does he have to give up until your happy?

It just seems to run at odds with some of the political opinions i have seen you express.

bartman

Immortal
what i find interesting bartman ( and correct me if im wrong) but a card carrying lefty like yourself seems to have forgoten that players have rights.

I understand the games image is important to you , but at what cost? how much of a players private life does he have to give up until your happy?

It just seems to run at odds with some of the political opinions i have seen you express.
Interesting is fine hh... I wouldn't call myself a card-carrying lefty, left on some issues, a little conservative on others. I'm not a fan of that black and white style of political labelling... but for what its worth I guess I am generally "lefter" than some, and than you for example (based on other posts).

The whole "leftist" civil liberties agenda is a difficult one though imo. Players do have rights, but they also have responsibilities and choices - more choices and responsibilities than the average person in my view, due to their higher than average wage, higher status in society, spare time/lifestyle afforded by this etc.

Trouble is, the life of a player will always be a balance between the freedom of those choices their careers give them, and the extra responsibilities that it carries. At the end of teh day they have a choice to be in that career or not - probably as much or more choice than a Christchurch barmaid does.

Players losing their rights won't specifically "make me happy", but the game doing what has to be done to improve its image and survive and thrive in the sports marketplace will. If players needing to be a little more sensible in behaviour to protect their own image and income - as well as their industry's standing and future - will do the trick (and I think it will), then it's a worthwhile sacrfice for the good of the code, imo.

bartman

Immortal
Fresh. Nice avoidance of the question, but it's ok, I know what your real guess would be.
You want me to guess? I'd say most rugby league fans accept and know that's what goes on. I'd say it wouldn't take much for a lot of the public to realise that rugby league/sports stars are kind of like movie stars, music idols etc, and would presume that sex comes theyr way without them seeking it.

So my guess is that most of the public wouldn't be too surprised. I found it illuminating, because examples and detail aren't usually given in the public domain like they were tonight. But I still don't think a show made up of footage of it would change anyone's opinion of how players choose to react to that.

A show featuring sex, voyeurism and sensationalism - sure, no-one would watch that.
Stick on a good soundtrack, some decent trailers, and you might be talking... but a documentary 4 Corners style thing on it? I think would rate less than last Monday's.

Godz Illa

Coach
My guess is most people would be staggered by the insight. And persuaded
Stick on a good soundtrack, some decent trailers, and you might be talking... but a documentary 4 Corners style thing on it? I think would rate less than last Monday's.
You sound as naive as "Clare". If that 4 Corners report was a documentary so was 'The Hurricane'

bartman

Immortal
My guess is most people would be staggered by the insight. And persuaded
We beg to differ. I think the general publiuc's view of rugby league players has been getting to an all time low in the past twelve months. The sympathy simply isn't there to call on, Matty Johns and his funny characters aside.

You sound as naive as "Clare". If that 4 Corners report was a documentary so was 'The Hurricane'
Documentary-style Godz... as opposed to Underbelly style, which was where I was heading with the trailers/soundtrack comment. (Should have included a wink ;-))

stormysally

Juniors
the show just finished in melbourne
Its hard for me to say cause i love matty but the show was actully really good tonight

Latest posts