What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2009

bartman

Immortal
the show just finished in melbourne
Its hard for me to say cause i love matty but the show was actully really good tonight
Agree. I think they handled it all very well.

There was some genuine emotion for Matt from his real life mates, but some strong and necessary points made about the future direction the game needs to take.

He is a fall guy, and as they said probably paying for the players sins of the past ten years. But as they also said, the game needed a kick up the arse, and to draw a line in the sand and get serious about players attitudes and encouraging respect (and accepting nothing less).

The Tank

Bench
TWO And A Half Men has been a ratings winner for Channel 9 but last night the same TV custodians of league offered its long-suffering NRL audience a play on that show's name - in the form of The Footy Show.

Best described as Two Men And A Halfwit, the program continued to struggle with the fallout from the naming and shaming of its favourite son, Matthew Johns.

But even before the opening credits had rolled, host Paul Vautin had put his foot in it, bungling a promo for the show during the 6pm news.

Already under fire for his slap happy reaction to Johns initial apology last week, Vautin added to the impression he was dismissive of the controversy by simplifying it as "the whole shebang." A poor choice of words, to say the least.

In depth: The Matthew Johns affair

Little wonder by the time Vautin came to open the show at 9.30pm, he was reading directly from a prepared script.

Better safe than a loose cannon like Vautin, David Gyngell?

Thankfully for Nine, Johns friend and commentary colleague Phil Gould saved the hour: offering constructive criticism of the ABC program and a raw response to the impact it has had on his mate.

"This was the sledgehammer the game deserves," he said, adding "there are no winners in all of this."

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg, a panel guest also deserves praise, giving league fans hope there are still real men prepared to do the right thing in this great game.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25486342-5001021,00.html

FFS, why does Vautin keep copping it?

Engine

Juniors
Fatty is the modern day Rex Mossip. I actually like him on the panel. He is a dinosaur, but he provided non-politically correct humor.

People need to lighten up. Even Jackie saw the funny side of it. Im starting to appreciate her contributions to the show. The guys are unable to really blend her in effectively.

Quigs

Immortal
I posted this on one of the other threads.

I just can't believe how big an issue the NZ incident has come to
There was an incident last year - yeah thats right 2008 not 7 years ago, but lets not let facts get in the way of a good ratings sensationlist old story - hey

-----------------------------------------------------

Yeah its not like three of them went into the public toilet of a still opened and operating nightclub and engaged in sexual acts with one woman who at the time agreed to the idea.

Mr Gallops is going to wipe those type of players out of the game.

Mr Gallop won't stand for that type of an incident happening in our great game.

Mr Gallop said, whether it is legally wrong or morally wrong there is no place in this great game for men like that that downgrade and disrespect females.

Hang on, this current incident involving the Sharks happend 7 years ago. 7 Years ago.

The THREE SHARKS PLAYERS involved in the nightclub incident which happend last year are still playing league, some for their country, The THREE SHARKS PLAYERS are still contracted in 2009............ ummhhhhhh hang on a minute, the three players arn't from Cronulla.

(Lifting the corner of the carpet and sweeping vigorously)

Shhhhhhshoooosh, don't mention the nightclub group sex incident of 2008 - afterall the police did thoroughly investigate it and nothing illegal happend did it, afterall. And Bruno did contact Mr Gallop and, and, and, and,

Cheers
Quigs

Brutus

Referee
Excellent show last night.

Gus, Vossy and Fatty were great.

Gus was brilliant actually.

The agenda against Vautin by the Telegraph mob is deplorable.

Last edited:

Big Time

Juniors
I agree show was excellent. I was concerned how it would be handled but they pulled it off. I wonder wonder what Wilson will have to say today. Gould made a lot of sense last night. Whilst he is obviously a great mate of Johns, he did not hide behind the fact that he did not like what happened that night in 2002 and understood there has to be consequences. The two CEO's did a good job too.

All that we need now is the other blokes to come out. They are slowly being strangled with at least 6 of them coming out yesterday and stating they had no involvement. Never really expected the likes of Kimmorley or Preston to be involved anyway.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Very impressed with tonight's show so far, I'm surprised how well they've handled everything.

Credit where it's due. A serious topic (the wider one, not just focused on Johns), being treated seriously with a good mix on the panel and guests, and it's great TV imo.

I agree, I've never heard Gus make sense before

lol when did Nigel Vagana become such an intelligent and articulate individual

all credit to him, he spoke well imo

A lot of weak sh*t there.

They completely ignored the elephant in the room: which is the willingness of the female parties in these acts, and the right of players to indulge in whatever legal sexual practices they like.

Quite simply everyone is thinking but a person is basically ending their career by comming out and saying it.

Mr Saab

Referee
It wasa good show, no stupid comedy from Johns is the main reason for that....didnt have him interject when Voss asks a question he didnt like.
With these three on the panel it will make for much better viewing.

miccle

Bench
Amazing show last night. First time I've sat through more than 20 minutes of TFS without going to sleep or switching stations.

Gus was fantastic. His analogy of the traffic light scenario, and his call that this is the "sledgehammer the game needed", was amazing. I don't usually like the bloke much, but there is no doubting his passion for the game and his level-headed approach to life as well as football. Mr Gould, take a bow. You represented our game extremely well last night IMO.

Vossy was great, too - and I think Fatty and Magnay complimented the panel nicely. Very impressed with Greenberg as well. He spoke very passionately about these issues and it's clear IMO that he is a driving force behind the Bulldogs ongoing battle to clean up their image. He's well and truly winning the war at the club.

Overall, a fantastic show and I think the 7-8 people involved in the program showed enough to suggest that they need to be involved in the future goings-on in the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe... might be for people who don't already accept that's the case, and move beyind that to what the game must do re its public image regardless.

Not doing enough, Timmah... at least have the decency to paraphrase someone correctly, instead of just have your own fantasy debates against statements that no-one is making. :eek:
Well what isn't RL doing that it should be? It's all well and good
Who knows? All of us are just guessing, and opinions are like arseholes.

:lol: Notorious. It's just a discussion forum, we'd have nothing to discuss without people giving their differing opinions.

But it's the game's public image that's relevant, and the game's public image I care about. If you don't think that's important to the game's future, that's your call.

That's fine. My guess is less of the greater public would bother watching such a show though. Whether that's because they already know that's what it's like out there, but still make judgements on players choices anyway, I don't know.
And you don't think that could be through biased and misinformative (is that a word) reporting from the media on matters like this? They have a role to play like it or not...
Amazing show last night. First time I've sat through more than 20 minutes of TFS without going to sleep or switching stations.

Gus was fantastic. His analogy of the traffic light scenario, and his call that this is the "sledgehammer the game needed", was amazing. I don't usually like the bloke much, but there is no doubting his passion for the game and his level-headed approach to life as well as football. Mr Gould, take a bow. You represented our game extremely well last night IMO.

Vossy was great, too - and I think Fatty and Magnay complimented the panel nicely. Very impressed with Greenberg as well. He spoke very passionately about these issues and it's clear IMO that he is a driving force behind the Bulldogs ongoing battle to clean up their image. He's well and truly winning the war at the club.

Overall, a fantastic show and I think the 7-8 people involved in the program showed enough to suggest that they need to be involved in the future goings-on in the game.
Fantastic analysis.

Can I just say, wow, the Footy Show set is so small compared to what you see on TV. They all sit very close together.

And they don't have enough seats :fist:

And you don't think that could be through biased and misinformative (is that a word) reporting from the media on matters like this? They have a role to play like it or not...

Fantastic analysis.

Can I just say, wow, the Footy Show set is so small compared to what you see on TV. They all sit very close together.

And they don't have enough seats :fist:

Great show to be at too. Makes for a good pub story: "I was at the footy show when the Matty Johns sh*t went down and saw Gus cry LIVE! Possibly saw the first episode of the future of the show, most agree the panel has a good balance now.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Although I must say, it was good fun trying to avoid the 9 News cameras sussing out the crowd at the beginning, the bogus reporter asking opinions about the Johns matter.

Fantastic show, hope it continues this way. Anyone got ratings figures?

Sleep

Juniors
To me it felt like the girl went to work thinking she had something to brag about and then when everyone at the office reacted with "Really?" other disgusted replies and she soon became ridiculed rather than praised she quickly changed her tune to try and save face.

I've seen this happen in the workplace before literally. A girl came in bragging about sleeping with one of the co-workers. Once her boyfriend found out she changed her tune to rape, he went to the cops and it all unfolded messily. Fortunately others had text messages she sent regarding the incident and he was cleared.

That's just my opinion though. I haven't followed as closely as some of you. Good on Gus last night though. For the five minutes I watched he was really passionate and had no agenda. Called it like it was.

bartman

Immortal
Um, no... our public image away from league internet forums or peopel who actually go to games has taken a battering with incidents the past year or so.

RL needs to be stepping up its PR efforts, and as I've suggested elsewhere, being seen to be addressing this attitude/respect problem, that Vossy highlighted last night was more important than the Johns/consent issue.

I've put the idea elsewhere that RL could for $150K per club have 16 times the current education programs for players currently being attended by Vagana, O'Neill and their off-sider. Three full-timers per club gives 16 times more the reach, that means being able to get into schools in each club area, and probably just as importantly (as far as pour PR and image is concenred) being seen to be doing something.

Agree? Disagre?

It could be, but it's kind of irrelevant. RL doesn't and can't control the wider media. Just liek we don't and can't control the way that some women relate to players. So whinging about those two factors achieves nothing to get the game out of its PR problem. The game has to be proactive in changing its attitdues, which even the Footy Show guys (of all people) are starting to preach...

bartman

Immortal
Although I must say, it was good fun trying to avoid the 9 News cameras sussing out the crowd at the beginning, the bogus reporter asking opinions about the Johns matter.

Fantastic show, hope it continues this way. Anyone got ratings figures?
Agree. Fantastic mix on the panel, and fantastic mix of facing serious issues balanced with good footy talk. And no annoying momentum-stopping cuts to pre-filmed comedy. Fatty looked comfortable as host for the first time in years, he seems back to how he used to be pre-accident.

Haven't got ratings figures, but I think I heard it rated well. I would guess that it kept people viewing longer than under teh old format, where many didn't mind switching off halfway through, or as soon as your team had been talked about.

Raider_69

Post Whore
was really impressed by gould and greenburg. They spoke honestly, passionately but remained level headed. Both represented the code extremely well. Bruno looked out of his depth. Vossy was good and the show didn't lack anything without johns. His 'humour' wasn't missed.

Latest posts