What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The game against warrington

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Original centre selections were Aitkin & Mata'utia don't know why the switch.
Nabuli answered some more questions and didn't let us down. Marshall excellent MOM IMO.
The forwards all did pretty well with Thompson stepping up. Widdop solid.
Don't know why they didn't go the FG sooner in better position and Marshall' s flick pass at the death was a rush of blood that we can do without.
Great preseason hit out
Go the Dragons

Rush of blood yeah, but with no ramification. In the superleague, the advantage rule is different. They call it a 'Free Play' and it works similar to a "Free Hit' in 20/20 cricket I think. I could be wrong but I think they can just go for it and if there is an intercept or turnover within that play, it gets taken back for the original transgression.

I thought the Dragons were the more physical of the two sides. Does anyone agree?

Warrington were expecting to dominate us in forwards, and they put in a very good effort, but we stood tall, and were far more stinging in defence.

Also, (Ye of little faith) Benji's back baby!!!

ellskimore

Juniors
Original centre selections were Aitkin & Mata'utia don't know why the switch.
Nabuli answered some more questions and didn't let us down. Marshall excellent MOM IMO.
The forwards all did pretty well with Thompson stepping up. Widdop solid.
Don't know why they didn't go the FG sooner in better position and Marshall' s flick pass at the death was a rush of blood that we can do without.
Great preseason hit out
Go the Dragons

In ESL rules when a player makes an error it activates the 'free play rule' which allows the opposition team to attack with an extended advantage. The advantage lasts until the end of the play unlike in the NRL where the advantage is only after a pass or certain amount of metres gained. Marshall didn't take any risk whatsoever seeing as no matter what happened it would go back for a scrum.

dragoncountry

Juniors
I think the best way to describe that win was Dour & solid.
I cant say I was overly excited about too much of it.
for another offseason of concentrating on attack we were very ordinary.
our big forwards were spent in defence in the second half, slow to retreat.
Really in all honesty if that's the best we have in the centres we are DOOMED.
again like CS I thought off the bench Marketo was our best, always makes 2 or 3 tackles in a row to try and lift the boys.
I hate to say it but. ANOTHER LONG SEASON.:x

Twenty10

Juniors
JDB, hurts other players in just about every tackle and you want to play him in the cutters team?

I agree that JDB needs to start having an impact REAL quick. He's been very forgettable. Doesn't deserve s spot just for s couple of text book tackles. He hasn't done much in the last few years and dragons have been burnt too many times holding on to "hope".

I really "hope" he breaks out this year. He needs to develop a Bradley Clyde type game. At the moment he's in no mans land IMO

ellskimore

Juniors
again like CS I thought off the bench Marketo was our best, always makes 2 or 3 tackles in a row to try and lift the boys.

That's a very pessimistic take on a win against a team that has already begun its season, in 3 degree conditions and a parochial home crowd. People should not view Warrington as some reserve grade team. We had to adapt to foreign conditions and their rulebook, with only a couple of genuine trial games under our belt. This was a good win.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I agree that JDB needs to start having an impact REAL quick. He's been very forgettable. Doesn't deserve s spot just for s couple of text book tackles. He hasn't done much in the last few years and dragons have been burnt too many times holding on to "hope".

I really "hope" he breaks out this year. He needs to develop a Bradley Clyde type game. At the moment he's in no mans land IMO

And I really do agree with you. But I think the main reason for this is because he is playing consistently out of position.
He played his entire junior career in the back row and now he is being played in the front row at 105kg. He played his best footy last year when he was slotted into lock, which is HIS position. He isn't line runner or a barger. He is a plug. Any player that runs at JDB, doesnt get much further.
I really feel if he is to reach his potential, he needs to play lock.

Cagey Mac

Bench
In ESL rules when a player makes an error it activates the 'free play rule' which allows the opposition team to attack with an extended advantage. The advantage lasts until the end of the play unlike in the NRL where the advantage is only after a pass or certain amount of metres gained. Marshall didn't take any risk whatsoever seeing as no matter what happened it would go back for a scrum.

I wasn't sure about the rule. Thanks for the explanation

Cagey Mac

Bench
And I really do agree with you. But I think the main reason for this is because he is playing consistently out of position.
He played his entire junior career in the back row and now he is being played in the front row at 105kg. He played his best footy last year when he was slotted into lock, which is HIS position. He isn't line runner or a barger. He is a plug. Any player that runs at JDB, doesnt get much further.

With Merrin perhaps on the outer you may get you wish.

Twenty10

Juniors
As a game, it was awesome to watch. Few penalties, little wrestling shit, and plenty of ball movement despite the rain!
Our defense is still not that great, slipped into habits of sliding without moving forward. In dryer conditions it could have spelt danger.
Our attack looks improved, but still missing some depth there, hopefully gets a bit smoother as the season goes on. Doesnt help that our centres were pure ass, neither should be there rd1.
Halves looked flash, Benji especially looks dangerous but Widdop also looked good. Kicking game was amazing. Would like to see Dugan running some lines off them, not enough of it. Not sure how Dugan got MOM.

Forwards still an issue. I mean, Thompson and Friz are great to have on the edge, and Creagh is nessecary. I also liked Marketo. But the other guys are just adequate, and guys like O'Brien, Ah Mau, Rose, even JDB arent going to catapult us into the 8. Need something there.

And credit to him, Mitch Rein was good! Hit hard in defense, passing lifted, good scoots and best of all, NO DUMB DECISIONS. Well done.

All in all, good game...still think we are looking 8-11th at this stage, but will be a much more fun season!

I thought rose had more of an impact than any of our Forwards in thd last 3 years. 2 of his runs in particular got the team on front foot. Until he came on we couldn't get any go forward at all.

Twenty10

Juniors

May be you are right. But I find it hard to understand that he has to learn s nee ps option at this stage of his career. I have real fears for him fading Away off the scene. Much hyped, and is yet to deliver any thing. Really, anything.

bottle

Coach
Agree re JDB. Doesn't seem to hit the line the way he did when he first came on the scene even. Had so much upside. Where's it gone?
Yes he can hit, but so can Jake.

Cagey Mac

Bench

Oh come on... Really!
Rank outsiders
Parochial crowd
Unfamiliar conditions
Unfamiliar combinations
Less match-hardened than the opposition
18-12 and fitter than them at end game
Who did we doubt before the game?
Thompson, Rein, Nabuli, Rose!
They all stood up
We have depth in the centres in Aitken, Mata'utia and Runciman
We are in good shape
We'll finish in the top eight
This is a better side than 2014 by quite some margin

Saintsified

Bench
Oh come on... Really!
Rank outsiders
Parochial crowd
Unfamiliar conditions
Unfamiliar combinations
Less match-hardened than the opposition
18-12 and fitter than them at end game
Who did we doubt before the game?
Thompson, Rein, Nabuli, Rose!
They all stood up
We have depth in the centres in Aitken, Mata'utia and Runciman
We are in good shape
We'll finish in the top eight
This is a better side than 2014 by quite some margin

clap clap

post of the day

Cagey Mac

Bench
Agree re JDB. Doesn't seem to hit the line the way he did when he first came on the scene even. Had so much upside. Where's it gone?
Yes he can hit, but so can Jake.

De Belin ran sideways a little but he's had less game tim than the others
Marketo is a very good utility player and will be invaluable during the season
Mulholland has made some astute decisions and Jake will prove to be one of his best

bottle

Coach
Mulholland has made some astute decisions and Jake will prove to be one of his best

Yes I must admit JDB really hasn't had much of a go this season yet, so perhaps a bit harsh. It about expectation I suppose. A few years ago I thought he would be the new Raging Bull.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

Think Marketo can play a bit of hooker too.

BennyV

Referee
I thought the Dragons were the more physical of the two sides. Does anyone agree?

Warrington were expecting to dominate us in forwards, and they put in a very good effort, but we stood tall, and were far more stinging in defence.

Disagree. They havd some great forwards who were really putting it to us. I was wondering a few times why we didnt spin it early to catch them on the outside.

Coffs dragon

Bench

I agree and can perhaps see Jake play that Dean Young type utility role, switching between dummy half and lock. Could even start him at hooker for the 1st 15 mins then bring on Rein and let Marketo revert to lock when captain Creagh needs a rest.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
On paper it is not a better side than 2014 but on the field they play much better. The conditions were tough and it was a solid effort. The Dragons only had 2-3 cracks in the first half close to their line and scored twice which was impressive. Second half they had more possession in the opposition 20 and couldn't score.

That try saver Nabuli did was my highlight on Monoghan in the 1st half. I thought losing BMoz we will miss this as he was good as stopping tries but it looks like Nabuli will do a pretty solid job in defence and stop a few tries. Was looking forward to seeing Aitken and Runciman but Mary obviously went for experience under these conditions and did not want to risk the 2.

There was no bad player out there tonight. All played a pretty good role in this win. Warrington are not a bad side you know.

Lets see what impact this game has.

At least Saints have a trophy this year. I heard they were playing for the Harry Bath trophy today. Can anyone confirm this?

http://warringtonwolves.com/the-harry-bath-trophy-7752

The Harry Bath Trophy

Posted on Wednesday 18th of February 2015 in Club News
The Harry Bath Trophy
Wire legend Harry Bath became the first Australian-born captain to lift the famous Challenge Cup trophy when Warrington won in 1950.

We are proud to honour ‘The Old Fox’ Harry Bath by announcing that the Man of the Match for this Friday's World Club Series game between Warrington Wolves and St George Illawarra Dragons will be awarded the Harry Bath Trophy.

Former Wire stars Alastair Brindle and Jackie Edwards will present the winner with the trophy.

The career achievements of Bath rate him as the finest forward never to have played for Australia. Injury robbed him of the chance to play against the touring Great Britain side of 1946. Then after two Grand Final wins for Balmain he came to England.

Bath played 346 matches in a nine-year spell at Warrington, earning the Heritage Number 493. He scored 90 tries and kicked 812 goals for The Wire. He won two Challenge Cup winners medals and two Championship winners’ medals.

In 1957 he returned to Australia and joined St George, playing three seasons for them and winning the Premiership each time. He retired after the 1959 Grand Final, in which he was sent off, to pursue a career in coaching.

Bath coached Balmain to two Grand Finals before winning the 1968 and 1970 World Cups with Australia. He returned to St George to take his young side dubbed ‘Bath’s Babes’ to Premiership success in 1977. He repeated the achievement in 1979 before retiring in 1981.

Harry Bath passed away in 2008 at the age of 83. He will always be remembered as a Warrington, St George and Rugby League legend.

“Those who drank from the well should never forget those that dug it”