What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The game against warrington

Disagree. They have some great forwards who were really putting it to us. I was wondering a few times why we didnt spin it early to catch them on the outside.

Agreed. But....

I recorded the match (being football starved), and after watching it a second time, am sticking with my original analysis.

We clearly won the forward battle and hurt more than they did.

Also, while I'm far from convinced that we can make the eight, I do love our halves pairing.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Oh sorry I thought it went to the team. At least it went to a dragon. I saw Duges get a glass statue thing for MOM so he must have got both. He cleaned up.

jenninga

First Grade
I agree that JDB needs to start having an impact REAL quick. He's been very forgettable. Doesn't deserve s spot just for s couple of text book tackles. He hasn't done much in the last few years and dragons have been burnt too many times holding on to "hope".

I really "hope" he breaks out this year. He needs to develop a Bradley Clyde type game. At the moment he's in no mans land IMO

It was Jack's first hitout this year and probably hasn't had as much training as the rest due to whatever injury he was recovering from,so I would cut him a little slack.
But agree ,would like him to finally step up this year.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I agree and can perhaps see Jake play that Dean Young type utility role, switching between dummy half and lock. Could even start him at hooker for the 1st 15 mins then bring on Rein and let Marketo revert to lock when captain Creagh needs a rest.

Marketo is also a capable ball player and can fill in a 5/8 in pinch

Cagey Mac

Bench
Disagree. They havd some great forwards who were really putting it to us. I was wondering a few times why we didnt spin it early to catch them on the outside.

That's true but we outlasted them
We are also used to more room than the refs afforded us
It took us some time to adapt to the longer hold down time as well
We were getting off their players initially much faster than they were
Refs far more lenient apparently
As the game wore on, we adapted and tiredness set in, there was more space, we began to dominate

jenninga

First Grade
so no one is talking about our non existant attack

Sometimes teams need to grind out wins and this was one of them.Conditions didn't favour throwing the ball around and by scoring with clever little kicks was good enough today.
Gee 2010 must have really pissed you off.

love my saints

Juniors

Non existant attack that scored 18 points in wet conditions??? Cool story dude...
How bout giving credit where credit is due... we were less prepared then them, 2nd trial compared to how many games they have played, we have alot of new combinations and players compared to there steady squad, we played in wet conditions, to super league rules, in front of there home fans, AND WE BEAT THEM.
Smile dude, lifes too short to live it full of negativity.

dungay dragon

Juniors
This group is really starting to gel well
they also appear to want to play for each other , and not as individuals
The halves pairing of marshall and Widdop is getting smoother each match Nabuli did some special things and was safe under the high ball . All the forwards showed promising glimpses headed by Thompson Marketo and Frizell
Feel they will really serve it up to the Storm in Round 1 @ Kogarah

Cagey Mac

Bench

Slippery conditions
3 tries to 2
Brilliant kicking by Marshall
Deft kickind by Widdop and determined follow up by Thompson
Domination of yardage in the 2nd half
Penalty count of 5:0 against us at one point
No free rides upfield on the back of penalties for us
Scored from their red zone more times than not
They played to a game plan and won
You're looking for a reason to complain
There isn't one
Wait until next time maybe

Dragon66

Juniors

Everybody's talking about it! We all seem to agree that Neilsen and Farrell are not the answer and it's time for a bit of youthful enthusiasm and aggression.

Defensively we are on the up but second phase play from the forwards is still non existent and the centres too sluggish with the ball.

The potential is there, it is just getting the right combinations.

This year our kicking game is 10 out of 10.

Last edited:

karuah6

Juniors
Slippery conditions
3 tries to 2
There isn't one

Well said. Where's Dino's mate, Grouch, oh that's right, we won:D:

Highland Saint

Juniors
Would be good to see a bit more second phase play but in those conditions we looked to be playing it safe + the 5 meter on side rule. Attack would have been better if we had 2 centres out there and one more barnstorming forward

bottle

Coach
Slippery conditions
3 tries to 2
There isn't one

Can you stop talking sense, you're making my brain hurt.

BennyV

Referee
Lets cut dino some slack...sure, he is illiterate, pessimistic and possibly drunk, but hes got a point re: our attack, which I hope can be purely blamed on the conditions. It was a gritty win of the back of determination and Benji/Widdop brilliance, and I think well see a fair bit of that this year. Although improved from 2014, our ball movement was still clunky, attack wasnt deep enough when we were spreading it and timing wasnt the best. There were some nice angles from Thompson and Friz, but would like to see that sort of hole-hitting from Dugan.

Attacking kicks were near flawless, and Rein played brilliantly, although I think he may need a spell on either side of half time.

Enjoy the win, but lets not get carried away with a gritty, gutsy display.