What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The game against warrington

jenninga

First Grade
Lets cut dino some slack...sure, he is illiterate, pessimistic and possibly drunk, but hes got a point re: our attack, which I hope can be purely blamed on the conditions. It was a gritty win of the back of determination and Benji/Widdop brilliance, and I think well see a fair bit of that this year. Although improved from 2014, our ball movement was still clunky, attack wasnt deep enough when we were spreading it and timing wasnt the best. There were some nice angles from Thompson and Friz, but would like to see that sort of hole-hitting from Dugan.

Attacking kicks were near flawless, and Rein played brilliantly, although I think he may need a spell on either side of half time.

Enjoy the win, but lets not get carried away with a gritty, gutsy display.

We won the comp with gritty ,gutsy displays so if we win playing this way I won't have a problem.

BennyV

Referee
We won the comp with gritty ,gutsy displays so if we win playing this way I won't have a problem.

I disagree. When we won the comp, the media were banging on about how our attack sucked and we were boring. In reality, this was on when we were compared to media darlings like the Tigpies or the Faiders. We had a handful of plays and executed them perfectly every time. Timing was perfect. Angles were perfect. Passes and attacking kicks were perfect. Everything flowed beautifully.

It was gritty and gutsy, but in a different manner to this mornings game, because it was also fluent and well drilled.

kit66

Bench
Does the team play and rely too much structure in attack?

I think it might look that way because we are in trial mode and working on some set plays and structures from the pre-season training.
Hopefully this year we'll have a good mixture of structured attack and the kind of ad-lib play you get from the likes of Benji and Dugan.
Our attempts to spread the ball this morning looked a bit rusty and rushed but that'll get better after a few games and better weather - and please, please better Centres because we really need to get the ball to Nabuli in space ( if we can Nabuli will be rookie of the year ).

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I disagree. When we won the comp, the media were banging on about how our attack sucked and we were boring. In reality, this was on when we were compared to media darlings like the Tigpies or the Faiders. We had a handful of plays and executed them perfectly every time. Timing was perfect. Angles were perfect. Passes and attacking kicks were perfect. Everything flowed beautifully.

It was gritty and gutsy, but in a different manner to this mornings game, because it was also fluent and well drilled.

Agree 100%

But I like the fact that you acknowledge that we are showing true grit, regardless of fluidity, which will come in time when combos settle, particularly in the centres.
But my biggest positive is that they look really steely and competitive. Even if we dont make the 8, I really think we will make it hard for teams to beat us. Last year, we couldnt compete against the top 8 sides. Well this year, I reckon we could push any of them to the wire.

jenninga

First Grade

Exactly what I meant,
just didn't want to go into detail.

7Seven7

Juniors
Positives. WE WON........ Hoorooo

Marshal was maestro-esq.
Widdop has his kicking boots on .
Josh back where he should be and got MOM.
Thompson loved it out there.
Ah Mau = work horse.
Rose very good.
Rein, best game in 2 years and played 80.
Marqueto relishing his return.
Nightgale, well, is Nighingale.

Negatives ( come get me now ).

Obrien out of his class. Got pummeled and looks lost. Maybe nerves?
We will miss BMOZ, derhhh as Eto apart from 1 tackle was very poor in both reading the game and D.
Trent must have run for 200 metres today... all on the same spot.
Captain looked very tired, started well, but faded badly.

Did we play with 1 centre today ? Both showed nothing at all in attack. No threat whatsoever. Good tackling practice though.

No Benji today, with those deft passes, in goal kicks, chip to Dugan and leadership, we lose.

OK, rip away.

surfin

Juniors
Hi guys, I don't post on here normally but as a Warriors fan decided to come have a look at your thoughts on Neilson, he seems like a nice enough bloke but unfortunately it's all down hill after that. Like the Warriors you have a beast of a winger that will never see the ball as Danes one and only move is the step back into the defense play and under no circumstances should you draw and pass to the winger. Now that move would be almost bearable if he ever actually broke a tackle, but when he's running nothing seems to happen, as in, I see your feet moving but your going nowhere. Anyway all I can say after that is I'm glad he's yours and not ours.

ellskimore

Juniors
Hi guys, I don't post on here normally but as a Warriors fan decided to come have a look at your thoughts on Neilson, he seems like a nice enough bloke but unfortunately it's all down hill after that. Like the Warriors you have a beast of a winger that will never see the ball as Danes one and only move is the step back into the defense play and under no circumstances should you draw and pass to the winger. Now that move would be almost bearable if he ever actually broke a tackle, but when he's running nothing seems to happen, as in, I see your feet moving but your going nowhere. Anyway all I can say after that is I'm glad he's yours and not ours.

Yeah. He looked good in Melbourne because he had the luxury of open space so often. I can't really work out what he offers other than somewhat solid defence.

Mr Red

First Grade
Positives...
1. Best kicking game from the dragons I have seen in a long time
2. Barge Ass Marshall looks like he's been to weight watchers...looks to have lost a kilo or two, hopefully this will bring back his speed which was lost last season
3. Frizell and JDB both looked hungry and tough

Negatives...
1. Goal line defence still not hard enough for my liking
2. We really sucked at working out from our 20.... Worse than last year. Already missing B Moz in this area
3. OBrien looked very poor offered nothing
4. Right edge with MArshall and Farrell looked paper thin in defence on several occasions

Happy with the win but still some glaring problems in the forwards and our overall speed of the play the ball and general speed we played the match at.

7Seven7

Juniors
leeson was great . he really has a dig. euan in for round 1 ?

If they pick the team on the trials, LAM is a walk in. In my little time on this forum not many rate him.. I do.
The pommie boy back in for Obrien, he needs more work. Marketo on the bench.
Quick google search for 2 centres please. Eto gets another start... just.
Rose a must on the bench, commentator's mocked him a bit, thats OK.

Anyone else notice the driving hit Ah Mau put on one their props in the second half?
Bacon and eggs breaky on the turf.
Dugan will be blues numero uno this year.

TheRev

First Grade
The Video Reffing I really enjoyed also.. they only play it at normal speed (or close to), they do quick checks.. I thought one of them been ruled a slight bobble (if put into super super slow mo), but at normal speed looked fine.. the whole thing took all of 20 seconds, compared to 4-5 minutes in NRL land..

I wasnt particularly impressed by any of the dragons today, just a high standard across the paddock, good signs as go into the season, with lots of room for improvement hopefully in the backline.

It had a grandfinal kind of atmosphere (even though it clearly wasnt!), I thought thats why Mary went for Neilson, but it was a mistake, 3 good candidates in Runciman/Matautai and Aitken maybe mid-season.. the centres should come from those 3 imo, were definitely missing speed out wide.

ellskimore

Juniors
The Video Reffing I really enjoyed also.. they only play it at normal speed (or close to), they do quick checks.. I thought one of them been ruled a slight bobble (if put into super super slow mo), but at normal speed looked fine.. the whole thing took all of 20 seconds, compared to 4-5 minutes in NRL land..

I wasnt particularly impressed by any of the dragons today, just a high standard across the paddock, good signs as go into the season, with lots of room for improvement hopefully in the backline.

It had a grandfinal kind of atmosphere (even though it clearly wasnt!), I thought thats why Mary went for Neilson, but it was a mistake, 3 good candidates in Runciman/Matautai and Aitken maybe mid-season.. the centres should come from those 3 imo, were definitely missing speed out wide.

Yep. This is the big thing for me. Speed in the backs is very important. Fair enough if he wants to keep one of Farrell/Nielson in for reliability or experience but at least open up the other centre spot for some genuine attacking options.

bottle

Coach
Yep. This is the big thing for me. Speed in the backs is very important. Fair enough if he wants to keep one of Farrell/Nielson in for reliability or experience but at least open up the other centre spot for some genuine attacking options.

Yep. I'd keep Farrell at this point in time. Blood a youngun into firsts.

surfin

Juniors
Yeah. He looked good in Melbourne because he had the luxury of open space so often. I can't really work out what he offers other than somewhat solid defence.

I think that was the Warriors thinking when they signed him, but after watching him for a couple of seasons I don't think he even brings anything special there.

7Seven7

Juniors
Yep. I'd keep Farrell at this point in time. Blood a youngun into firsts.

Neither of them, Farrell / Neilson would walk into a spot in the comp unfortunately.
Forgive me I am yet to understand why we would need to "keep" 1. Runciman has played limited 1st grade and so has Mata... Throw em in now. Let them experience a few blunders early on. On paper, we have the weakest centre pairing in the comp.

bottle

Coach
Neither of them, Farrell / Neilson would walk into a spot in the comp unfortunately.
Forgive me I am yet to understand why we would need to "keep" 1. Runciman has played limited 1st grade and so has Mata... Throw em in now. Let them experience a few blunders early on. On paper, we have the weakest centre pairing in the comp.
Because I think that apart from the attempted intercept today, which was a poor play I'll concede, that Farrell has actually been strong. I was quite disappointed in him last year, but in the limited amount I've seen thus far he has shown me enough to persevere with him.
I'm not sold on Charley for first grade yet. Mata has been good. Aitken was ok as well. We have depth and choice, that's the good part.
If it was me, I'd give Farrell more time.

Cagey Mac

Bench
O'Brien wasn't that bad in attack and solid in defence but you'd have to rate Cooper ahead of at the moment
Aitken and Mata'utia for certain in the centres. Farrell is a winger IMO and not a centre. Aitken most certainly is and reads the game very well.
Nabuli is huge and the conditions didn't suit yet he was great under the high ball and combined better with Duges in defence better than BMoz in the beginning