What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Luke O'Donnell thread

f**k off JM lol, didnt think it went through as it took a hundred years alright, and I had it ready to control V cause I thought it didnt.

Whats Doing

Bench
Ashton Sims ls apparently leaving the Broncs. His younger brother has just left to join the Cowgirls but I would be targeting him.

macavity

Referee
Ashton Sims ls apparently leaving the Broncs. His younger brother has just left to join the Cowgirls but I would be targeting him.

have thought this for months - he didn't kick on at the Bronx but I think at the right club he could be very good.

Joker's Wild

Coach
We have supposedly signed Warren Schillings from the Qld cup and he may be playing for the Centurions tomorrow.
Warren is a big, aggressive guy who played in our 2006 and 2007 Flegg sides. He came up through Wests juniors with Mullo, Patto, Walsh, Seu Seu and Inglis, and i think he played some reserve grade for us as well.
He was in the Newcastle rep side in 2008 I think, and went to the Qld cup with Jacob Ling last year.
He played a few trials with the Titans.

Played for the Ipswich Jets I believe and from what I saw was going pretty well. Not a standout but seemed to hold his own.

Not keen on Ashton at all as I am a big follower of Norths Brisbane up here and he has been absolute crap for them nearly every time he has played. I guess if we can give Kafusi a shot then Ashton may just turn it around for a shot at a permanent FG spot

D

Deleted member 10972

Young and very big Roosters prop Martin Kennedy is off contract. 190cm, 110kg, and apart from a clanger of a falcon vs Bulldogs earlier this season, he has played very well. Took on some of New Zealand's, Canberra's, Melbourne's and Brisbane's big boys and did seriously well.

Johns Magic

Referee
Young and very big Roosters prop Martin Kennedy is off contract. 190cm, 110kg, and apart from a clanger of a falcon vs Bulldogs earlier this season, he has played very well. Took on some of New Zealand's, Canberra's, Melbourne's and Brisbane's big boys and did seriously well.

Had no idea Kennedy was off-contract, would love to get him.

Looks very promising, the sort of signing we should be going for.

Serc

First Grade
Thanks for posting Newie...interesting times! Am all for us signing him.

roopy

Referee
Have we ever signed a current SOO player?

If so, i don't remember it - even Ben Kennedy was not a rep player before we signed him.

Karmawave

Bench

If so, i don't remember it - even Ben Kennedy was not a rep player before we signed him.

From memory, BK played for NSW in 1999 - during his final season with the Canberra Raiders. So yeah, we have.

Karmawave

Bench

From memory, BK played for NSW in 1999 - during his final season with the Canberra Raiders. So yeah, we have.

Ben Kennedy played for NSW in Games 2 and 3 of the 1999 SOO series while still at the Canberra Raiders.

Serc

First Grade
Thought I would give the title of this a little change...given there's been a few LOD articles posted in here so far, including this one!

O'Donnell a gamble for Knights
ROBERT DILLON
12 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

HE could be an inspirational, Ben Kennedy-style enforcer who gives Newcastle Knights a much-needed injection of mongrel and intimidation.
Or he could be one of the most highly paid spectators at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
That is the gamble the Knights appear intent on taking after tabling a three-year contract offer to volatile North Queensland, NSW and Australian forward Luke O'Donnell last week.
As the Newcastle Herald revealed on June 19, the Knights are interested in uniting O'Donnell and his younger brother, Sharks under-20s back-rower Kyle, in Newcastle next season.
Kyle, who scored the match-winning try for Cronulla in yesterday's 14-12 National Youth Cup victory against his future club, has signed a two-year deal with Newcastle.
Knights management are waiting for an answer on whether Luke will be joining him, and could have it as early as this week.
The elder O'Donnell sibling is a formidable player, with and without the ball.
The prospect of him pairing up with Dragons star Neville Costigan, who has signed with Newcastle for the next three years, would give the Knights a back row capable of roughing up any team.
But there is a flip side to O'Donnell's aggressive playing style, and that is his horrendous judiciary record.
Since his NRL debut in 1999 he has spent 29 weeks - more than a full season - on the sidelines through suspension.
Cooling his heels since Origin II after a three-week ban for spear-tackling Queensland winger Darius Boyd, he has missed more games because of foul play than any current player.
And any club that wants to sign O'Donnell has to weigh up that risk, because chances are he is unlikely to change his ways this late in his career.
Knights coach Rick Stone appears to have evaluated O'Donnell's pros and cons and decided recruiting him is a risk worth taking.
Asked by the Newcastle Herald three weeks ago whether O'Donnell's disciplinary record was a factor the Knights would need to consider, Stone replied, "It probably is. If you're going to pay big bucks, injuries and judiciary are obviously a couple of key areas you're looking at."
Yesterday the coach was quoted as saying he thinks O'Donnell "gets a bad rap" regarding his judiciary record and could be "exactly what we need" to add some starch to Newcastle's pack.
"You just have to accept that he is going to run the gauntlet a little bit at times, but I don't see it as any real concern at all," Stone said.
Waiting in the background to see how the O'Donnell negotiations unfold is Knights stalwart Steve Simpson, who is hoping to return in the next few weeks from recent knee surgery.
Simpson expressed a desire in April to continue playing next year, but Knights officials have indicated they want to defer any decision until he is back on the field, which is fair enough.
By then they may have added Costigan and O'Donnell to a back-row rotation that includes Zeb Taia, Cory Paterson, Matt Hilder and Constantine Mika.
There is a chance Simpson could fill a role for Newcastle next year by moving to the front row on a regular basis, especially if Ben Cross heads to England, as appears likely.
But if Knights management are concerned about (a) Simpson's age and (b) his ability to stay on the park, then it seems ironic that O'Donnell shapes as a possible replacement.
Simpson is 13 months older than O'Donnell, who will be 30 by the time next season kicks off.
Over the past five years Simpson has played in 77 games, while O'Donnell has played in 60.
Since they debuted within three months of each other in 1999, Simpson has appeared in 216 NRL games, O'Donnell in 163.
Regardless of whether a player is unavailable because of injury or suspension, it is just as costly for his club.
With O'Donnell, what you see is what you get.
He might cost a not-so-small fortune, but there will be no money-back guarantee.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/odonnell-a-gamble-for-knights/1882195.aspx

Here's a 'positive' about his judiciary (and injury) record...he has played a Doogs-like 163 games in his career. So certainly could have a number of good years still left in him.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yep, and like Doogs he is ultra fit and is very strict in what he eats. He could play well into his 30s

Man I would love to see him in the red and blue

I also liked what I saw in young Kyle too. He is big and skillful and looks to have a big motor. Anyone else think he could make a devastating left centre? He spent a fair chunk of the game out on that left side yesterday causing all sorts of havoc in the U20s

I actually didnt realise LOD was 30 I thought he was somewhere between 26-28 to be honest with you...... Very big gamble.