What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

Eelectrica

Referee
Eh Gamble (or someone else deserved to go), there was like 4 straight pens and a bunch of set restarts in their own 20 in a row leading up to it. Milford even gave away 2 set restarts in 2 tackles within 2m of the tryline.

Agree the tackle itself wasn’t worth a bin, though.
You're right, refs still need to be able to use the sinbin for teams defending and constantly giving away penalties hoping the opposition drops the ball before their line breaks. Same with professional fouls certainly. We had the balance about right with that as it was.

mozza91

Coach
The Tex Hoy one was one of the softest I’ve seen.

Although having him off the field for 10 minutes is a positive for the Knights.

mxlegend99

Referee
If my team had 50 put on them last night I’d say the same.
My team hasn't lost yet and Im not looking forward to any of the remaining games. I dont feel like the teams will have close to the same effect as the whistle blower and bunker will.

How f**king hard is it to get a balance between not letting blokes put a shoulder to the temple like they did on Tedesco last week, and not punishing a player for having the attacking players head make contact with him at some point during a tackle?

The bad tackles need binning. The terrible ones a send off. The majority of binnings this week didnt even deserve a f**king penalty. From ond extreme to another and it's ruining the game making it look like a joke

Headless Chook

Juniors
If the intention of this crackdown is to stop players from coming in contact with the head then the NRL has to let this run its course, at least for a few months. If the number of sin bin/reportable incidents hasn't decreased by then and we're still getting four binnings a game across most matches then the conclusion might well be it's just impossible for these to be eradicated from the game and the price that will be paid is an overall inferior product for the fan and the broadcasters.

But as we've seen before once the coaches and the media vent their outrage the inevitable backflip will happen, most likely from next round.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not saying they do, but players need to have a higher duty of care with what we know involving concussions and ongoing dementia.

Players have a split second to react. In that time the ball could bounce lower and suddenly an attacker is dropping. Instead or being around the ribs the head and neck is contacted.

Certainly a penalty is warranted but any more is just crazy

siv

First Grade
Tigers game all 4 sin bins were warranted

3 repeat infringements (3 x 6 again)
1 professional foul

Perth Red

Post Whore
Annesly on now on fox saying that gettting rid of shoulder charges and biffs has not impacted the entertainment of the game, I would totally disagree. Everyone says the wrestle damaged the game but I’d suggest the continuing watering down and weakening of the top tier of the game is turning people off a lot more. Surprising Tallis was sensible and made that point that the game at nrl is not the same as the kids game and shouldn’t be treat the same. It’s the top tier with professionals getting paid a lot of money and they should be willing to accept the risks that come with the pay cheque. I liken it to formula 1, the cars are so fast there’s a good chance if it goes Pear shaped you’re going to get injured or killed. No ones suggesting we should limit the cars down to 150kmh to make it safer. They minimise risk where they can but accept its part if their career choice.

Valheru

Coach
Annesly on now on fox saying that gettting rid of shoulder charges and biffs has not impacted the entertainment of the game, I would totally disagree. Everyone says the wrestle damaged the game but I’d suggest the continuing watering down and weakening of the top tier of the game is turning people off a lot more. Surprising Tallis was sensible and made that point that the game at nrl is not the same as the kids game and shouldn’t be treat the same. It’s the top tier with professionals getting paid a lot of money and they should be willing to accept the risks that come with the pay cheque. I liken it to formula 1, the cars are so fast there’s a good chance if it goes Pear shaped you’re going to get injured or killed. No ones suggesting we should limit the cars down to 150kmh to make it safer. They minimise risk where they can but accept its part if their career choice.

I've heard the punch comparison before and it doesn't pass muster because punching is not part of the game. Tackling is an integral part of the game and at times contact with the head will occur.

Last edited:
More offloads is exactly what we want to see.
It's a natural risk/ reward for both defence and attack.

Sure but not to a point where it becomes easy. Beetson was famous for carrying four defenders and slipping an arm out to offload. I wouldn’t want that lost to the game.

Saxon

Bench
A hybrid of Oztag and BBL.

Voss on commentary last night was celebrating his desire for 10 tries per game this "magic round".

It's clearly what the NRL want.
Might be what the NRL want, but not the fans. Most of us want to see good football, not one way traffic with no defence.