What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing The Magic Round sin bin directive

Jono078

Referee
Thing I'm hating now is it feels like the more disciplined team is winning rather than the better football team.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Well considering last week paps was taken out of the game and now Ramsay out of the game due to head highs , you can see why the nrl have had to clamp down big time ... yes have done some I don’t agree with , but by and large most have been flush hits to the head

TIGER14

Bench
Vlandys is right that if CTE becomes a major issue in the NRL like it is in America with the NFL we may not have a game. But we also might not have a game if fans turn the TV off after seeing players being sin binned for the slightest high tackles.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys is right that if CTE becomes a major issue in the NRL like it is in America with the NFL we may not have a game. But we also might not have a game if fans turn the TV off after seeing players being sin binned for the slightest high tackles.

after the warriors sin binning that was me done for the night, didn’t bother tuning in to the sharks game, Netflix instead. Good luck nrl is all I can say, it’s just become a lottery.

siv

First Grade
Thing I'm hating now is it feels like the more disciplined team is winning rather than the better football team.

Been that way for years

You drop the ball or drop your focus and the opposition scores

RL is a game where you can have 3 people below par in your team and the opposition will win by 30

siv

First Grade
Should we bring back smelling salts and the magic spunge?

But seriously we also need to stop clubs putting players back on the field when they are clearly not medically fit after a concussion issue

This year we gave seen Melbourne fail with Papehousen, Canterbury with Lewis, Easts multiple players last year

Watching the lower grades I am seeing a similar issue with the same players getting repeat HIAs. While the year before covid they had no issues all season

Its clear that something is happening away from game day, that is contributing to the issue

souths_reborn

Juniors
I think you need to be careful that you don't get hoodwinked by V'landys' emotional rhetoric. He often likes to make out that the world is crumbling and that he is iron man of rugby league in order to justify his poorly thought out initiatives. As long as there is fan interest will always be a game of rugby league. The game has been played for over 100 years which suggests that it is going to take something cataclysmic in order to prevent people from playing it.

One issue that I am surprised that no one has discussed yet is the amount of power Peter V'landys has. In my opinion, no one person, regardless of their position, should have the authority to make decision of this magnitude. I think we need to put things in place in order to dilute the Chairman's power, at least when it comes to make decisions which affect the on-field product. If a policy as game changing as sin binning/sending off players for high tackles was going to be introduced then it should have come down to a vote between the games stakeholders.

siv

First Grade
I think you need to be careful that you don't get hoodwinked by V'landys' emotional rhetoric. He often likes to make out that the world is crumbling and that he is iron man of rugby league in order to justify his poorly thought out initiatives. As long as there is fan interest will always be a game of rugby league. The game has been played for over 100 years which suggests that it is going to take something cataclysmic in order to prevent people from playing it.

One issue that I am surprised that no one has discussed yet is the amount of power Peter V'landys has. In my opinion, no one person, regardless of their position, should have the authority to make decision of this magnitude. I think we need to put things in place in order to dilute the Chairman's power, at least when it comes to make decisions which affect the on-field product. If a policy as game changing as sin binning/sending off players for high tackles was going to be introduced then it should have come down to a vote between the games stakeholders.

It feels like Annesley is using this opportunity to implement a number of his proposals after being previously being rejected by the rules committee

Though lawyers/ health experts must have also provided a report on concussion

But to see the number if HIAs go up to 19 from the season average of 9.7 for a weekend, says we are seeing the reverse effect initially

Or we are seeing more milking

souths_reborn

Juniors
It feels like Annesley is using this opportunity to implement a number of his proposals after being previously being rejected by the rules committee

Though lawyers/ health experts must have also provided a report on concussion

But to see the number if HIAs go up to 19 from the season average of 9.7 for a weekend, says we are seeing the reverse effect initially

Or we are seeing more milking
That is a fair point on Annesley. However, I think a lot of the apprehension about this new sin bin/send off directive is because there has been a lack on transparency on the NRL's part over the implementation of this policy. For instance, who came up with initiative? Who was consulted? Were options other than sin bins and send offs considered? All these questions and more need to be answered. If the NRL and V'landys had been more open with the implementation of this new directive then maybe he wouldn't be copping so much abuse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is a fair point on Annesley. However, I think a lot of the apprehension about this new sin bin/send off directive is because there has been a lack on transparency on the NRL's part over the implementation of this policy. For instance, who came up with initiative? Who was consulted? Were options other than sin bins and send offs considered? All these questions and more need to be answered. If the NRL and V'landys had been more open with the implementation of this new directive then maybe he wouldn't be copping so much abuse.

that’s the thing. Where we find ourself now should be the very last resort to sort it out, not the first. Theyve compromised the games and turned fans off, and that should always be last resort. Maybe try much harsher post game penalties first then introduce this if that didn’t work. No one disagrees with the intended outcome but the way they’ve gone about it so far is extremely poor imo,

souths_reborn

Juniors
that’s the thing. Where we find ourself now should be the very last resort to sort it out, not the first. Theyve compromised the games and turned fans off, and that should always be last resort. Maybe try much harsher post game penalties first then introduce this if that didn’t work. No one disagrees with the intended outcome but the way they’ve gone about it so far is extremely poor imo,
Exactly right. What baffles me is that there is a precedent for this sort of approach working. It happened before in the 1980s with Jim Comans and his approach to cleaning up the game from acts of blatant thuggery. He basically handed out harsh suspensions and it fixed the problem; obviously there were still fights but the malicious acts were pretty much eradicated.

seanoff

Juniors
After what i heard during the week about how physical the in season opposed sessions are at training i think the NRLPA and the NRL will need to have a think about that,

In the NFL contact during practice is very light. They’ve worked out they dont need to have the players beat the shit out of each other during the week. The game is tough enough once a week.

The NRL is plenty tough. WTF are they doing? The game is hard. The week between should be about recovery not trying to replicate another game.

If they are really worried about CTE, its thought the sub concussive events might be as problematic as the concussive events. (See soccer in various places banning or limiting heading the ball in jr ranks). So why involve the players in more of those events?

So they think thy’ve solved on problem while ignoring what maybe the bigger problem.

siv

First Grade
I am confused after 2 sin bins Easts can continue to do high shots more deserving of a sin bin with no sin bin penalty

aussie7798

First Grade
Welcome to the National Sin Bin League. There wont be enough players for another team because we are going to need all of them for suspensions.

Latest posts