What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matty Johns Show: Thursdays @ 7.30pm on 7

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I really enjoyed it, probably one of the few.

alot of you guys here need to know that prime time analyzing of the games will never happen, it will attract just the die hards..too small.

I cannot believe people complaining that its trying to be too funny and to make it more rugby league....My wife actually enjoyed the show, which means its getting a bigger range of fans towards rugby league..some how I doubt an hour of talking to players and showing stats would have that same response.

Point is, we all know the major stats...we all post and read just about everything, this show was never going to be a stats show..i mean come on they didnt even show highlights from games, obviously because 7 doesnt have any rights whatsoever and it looks bad that FOX and 9 are getting advertisement from 7.

If you want stats, go on the net...if you want prime time news segments for rugby league...keep dreaming.

LazyDreamer

Bench
It's not woeful.

But I can't see how a show like this can survive in it's timeslot. They could be airing something that gets 1m+ viewers, this will be lucky to get half that. (unless whatever they are doing in the other states goes well.)

Exactly. Tonight's ratings will be due to the "car crash" factor. Next week will be the "water cooler" factor. Then it's free-fall ratings.

It'll definitely be moved if my missus has her way. No Ghost Whisperer is not good news when you're married to a redhead. Mind you, compared to the other rubbish she watches, at least it means a weekly perv at Jen Lo Hew.....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NRL on Fox has a few silly segments now, including one small talk one where a 10 year old kid interviews a player. it's cutesy at first but generally makes you cringe after a minute or two.

flamin

Juniors
Rugby league gets more viewers than a prime time tv show. If they actually made it about the footy people would watch.

From the telegraph: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-mattyjohns-show/story-e6frexnr-1225845437806
Indeed, industry insiders report there has been conflict between Johns and network suits over the final product. While he's wanted greater football content, they've demanded broader appeal for a prime-time slot that has just watched a long-running soapie.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Cant wait for the "oh how are we gonna compete with that?" from the Footy Show.

They'll probably throw in more stupid skits and try and be more funny than Matty Johns.

Seriously this is FTA of today, you're not gonna have the old style footy programs back in the 70s and 80s, where the whole show is serious talk, especially in that timeslot. Leave it to NRL on Fox, or NRL Tactics (which atm is much better than NRL on Fox)

Ch 7 obviously wanted Johns to be funny again like on the Footy Show. And dont forget it was always gonna like a "Footy Show" style.

I was always expecting skits on the show, and I actually didnt mind them as long as it involved Rugby League.

The only thing they would have to change is less Jason Stevens interviews with celebs.

I think Webcke is a great co-host and should always be involved with TV. He speaks well and great opinions.

CC was the best, but should be longer.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
NRL on Fox has a few silly segments now, including one small talk one where a 10 year old kid interviews a player. it's cutesy at first but generally makes you cringe after a minute or two.

Mate i dont whether its that or Ryan Phelan as host, I dont like it as much as last year's show.

Warren Smith was a pretty host, and whilst Phelan is good, he sometimes struggles getting stuff out.

Bring back Smith.

azzah72

Bench
Mate i dont whether its that or Ryan Phelan as host, I dont like it as much as last year's show.

Warren Smith was a pretty host, and whilst Phelan is good, he sometimes struggles getting stuff out.

Bring back Smith.

Well i'm glad you think he's pretty, I'm sure he'd be flattered

Goddo

Bench
I liked it.

It was a skit show that had footballers on it like the Footy Show, but without Fatty and his stupid head wobble, mentions of Keno, a set from 1992, and skits that actually make you laugh (wtf is that radio skit on tfs?).

TFS is too much like hey hey its saturday... the same boring crap every week with the same old talking heads with no new material. This new show will get boring eventually, but its good for now.

EDIT i thought the Penrith Panther skit was great.

Last edited:

Carnifex

Juniors
Got bit better towards the end...but thought it was meh for the most part. but will still watch it...better than the footy show!

Fui!!!

Juniors
Who is Matty John? ;-)

And yes I realise that's the name of the show but:

a) that's because they were too lazy to think of a better title; and

b) it's supposed to be a Rugby League show, regardless of it's name.

If it continues on the current path, it's likely to get RL ridiculed in the public eye soon enough.

It's pretty hard to have a proper rugby league show when you can't get footage to use.

Big Pete

Referee
I didn't mind it, better than TFS and it didn't drag as much.

It felt very edgy and Matty seemed much more serious than usual.

Webby surprised me, he's a good host.

Latest posts