What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The myth of the 'big 5' Sydney clubs

Bengal

Juniors
The unevenness of the comp this year and the below par performances of the more well-supported clubs has been the primary reason why crowds are ho-hum at the moment.

Packy

Bench
How are Dragons so low? They could play in Brisbane every week and draw more than that

Loudstrat

Coach
Exactly Bengal.

Roosters fan making threads about crowds = guaranted failure.

The fact that they are NOT classes as one of Sydney's supposed big 5 says a lot - given that they are a good crowd puller usually.

BunniesMan

Immortal
There's nothing like shooting off prematurely. Souths will have a better average than Easts before the end of the season. The other big Sydney teams are having bad seasons. By the end of the year Easts will only be beating these Sydney teams in crowds. Good effort.

Billythekid

First Grade
Newcastle and GC with the same rating? Could you make yourself look anymore like a dunce. I realise it was a troll post but you have to at least put in some effort, if it's too obvious it doesn't really work.

The biggest one team town on the planet

Wrong.

-yet their residents are less likely to attend games than Sydney residents. Rating: Z

Morgan research? Galaxy poll? Where is your survey of resident's intention?

Oh, you have not got any quantitative research asking about residents intention? And you are just inferring this to bolster you argument? You just made this up based on a misunderstanding of statistics?

Endless money, promotion

Haha. Sydney teams have neither the wit nor the capacity to promote the game. Why not drag everyone down to your level! :lol:

and premierships thrown at them,

Yep. Because the NRL has done everything possible to make sure that the Storm have the most premierships possible against their name. Oh wait...

I note you agreed with everything I said about Sydney teams. Indeed, 90% of what I wrote.

So you were right about that.

big hit!

Bench
What average would Easts have if they didn't get to host Anzac Day?

Ditto Canterbury and Good Friday?

Looks like spin is not just limited to GWS. Taking average home crowd numbers at face value is a mug's game. Bit like how the AFL raves about GWS averages of above 20k early in the season when a match against the Swans who provide 95% of the crowd is an extraordinary event.

Newcastle and GC with the same rating? Could you make yourself look anymore like a dunce. I realise it was a troll post but you have to at least put in some effort, if it's too obvious it doesn't really work.

Newcastle have had decades to get their shit together in one of the most hardcore rugby league towns in the world. And without the near free memberships that have been run off like Ben Bernanke at the money presses, they would be in the toilet.

If you want to look like a dunce, just compare raw figures. Oh, that's right. You just did.

As big hit said:

Taking average home crowd numbers at face value is a mug's game.

ozenzud

Juniors
Canbrrra and Penriff crowds are a real big worry really. They are bad if the team is going OK and worse of they are going crap.

Easts, have they actually got supporters? They get crowds from time to time. Take away the hype this year and they'll go back to two blokes and a dog at there matches. They must count members who never turn up as well. Seriously, 11,000 posted crowd and there is actually about 1000 people there.

Patorick

Staff member
Considering Manly's had one Sunday afternoon game all year, not too bad.

yobbo84

Coach
Let's bring this thread back up at the end of the year. Souths still have home games to come vs the Dragons, Bulldogs and Roosters.

The home averages of Bulldogs/Rabbitohs (Good Friday - 51k) and Roosters/Dragons (ANZAC Day - 40k) are always going to fluctuate year-on-year depending who gets the home game.

Zigwaa

Bench
Did the OP start this myth? As I've never heard the term 'the big 5 Sydney clubs" before or anything similar applied to the clubs menioned.

firechild

First Grade
Considering Manly's had one Sunday afternoon game all year, not too bad.

This. Scheduling makes a huge difference to crowds. Penrith get Sunday arvo games all the time and Manly get next to none. Manly have 7 MNF games scheduled which, while only 2 are home games, makes a massive impact on the psyche of the fans. Memberships are down for the first time in years and unsurprisingly crowds are affected.

Godz Illa

Coach
Anzac Day and round 1 gave the Roosters a friendly boost

Saints fans are pretty fickle

Outnumbered them 10 to 1 at the 2010 GF

kungl sux cox

Fire

First Grade
Did the OP start this myth? As I've never heard the term 'the big 5 Sydney clubs" before or anything similar applied to the clubs menioned.

Similar to the "Five Families" of New York.

Dragons being the most powerful of the five.

Doust being the most powerful (and stupid) Don in Sydney.

987392.jpg

Valheru

Coach
There's nothing like shooting off prematurely. Souths will have a better average than Easts before the end of the season. The other big Sydney teams are having bad seasons. By the end of the year Easts will only be beating these Sydney teams in crowds. Good effort.

You better hope so for your sake. Imagine the embarrassment if easts pipped the most popular sporting club in the known universe on attendance numbers

What average would Easts have if they didn't get to host Anzac Day?
Ditto Canterbury and Good Friday?
Looks like spin is not just limited to GWS. Taking average home crowd numbers at face value is a mug's game. Bit like how the AFL raves about GWS averages of above 20k early in the season when a match against the Swans who provide 95% of the crowd is an extraordinary event.

Do you remember how last year souffs hosted the opener and Good Friday, it also happens next year? I don’t recall hearing any souffs fan claim their numbers were skewed last year and I anticipate the same next year.

Dont forget that you finish at home against easts in what could be a minor premiership battle. You will be happy to benefit from our attendance then I bet.

Ozzy

First Grade
You would know all about that.

Latest posts