What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Finals Crowd Thread

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What figures have I not got right?

Were there more 21,000 at Homebush? Did any game in Sydney get more than 25,000 last weekend?

I'm curious if you actually have anything to back up whatever it you're trying to say. Or maybe you're looking to have an argument just for the sake of it. So out of character Timmah.

It seems that you still think the scribblings of gossip columnists and the tabloid media are in some way related to 'facts'.
Epic :lol: Just like a tabloid journalist you seem to do your best to pick the out the meat and leave the bones. I've stated my opinion on here multiple times regarding the Dragons/home ground situation - I don't agree with the Telegraph's ongoing campaign and I don't believe it's the Dragons fault. It's the NRL's fault for creating the situation and not acting on it much earlier than a week before due to media pressure. But don't let that get in the way of a good public reaming ;-)

As for your numbers, 21,000 + 59,000 = 80,000. ANZ has had a capacity of 83,500 from memory, since it's reconfig was finalised in 2003. Not a big difference but still of note. So the figure you were after was actually around the 62,000 mark.

Even so, it eclipsed Sunday's crowd by 3,000...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Saturday 8:30pm vs a team whose fanbase is 2-odd hours away...

against a Sunday 4:00pm almost local derby at a ground that can't seem to get much past 18k...

lockyrulz

Juniors
I've aleady given a figure of between 20,000-25,000. It based on what happpend with ticket sales and the crowds achieved throughout the weekend. Not plucked out of the air like some.

What nonsense. Obviously ticket sales would have been affected by

a. Knowing it wqas going to be played at a larger, better venue.
b. Knowing that more tickets would be available.

We have a problem here either way. Either your effort at an estimated figure is nothing short of laughable, or the crowd pulling power of two high profile sydney clubs is nothing short of pathetic.

I would love to hear loudstrats excuse. What an embarresment for both clubs and league in Sydney.

alexc

21000 is f**king sh*t house.

In other totally unrelated news 30000 tickets were sold today for the Brisbane game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The NRL needs to take control and put matches in suitable stadiums for finals. Had Sunday been Dragons v Penrith then Kogarah would have been fine. But Dragons v resurgent Parra? Common sense is what's needed.
You're advocating a precedent where the NRL breaks it's own rules to make a quid for their 50% stakeholder.

I have no problem with any club abiding by the rules. It just has to be agreed upon at the beginning of the year, not days before.

You didn't get your way, I can see that.

It was a packed house, enjoy it for what it was. Or rubbish the game. Your choice.

lockyrulz

Juniors
You're advocating a precedent where the NRL breaks it's own rules to make a quid for their 50% stakeholder.

I have no problem with any club abiding by the rules. It just has to be agreed upon at the beginning of the year, not days before.

You didn't get your way, I can see that.

It was a packed house, enjoy it for what it was. Or rubbish the game. Your choice.

Or the club could have just moved it.

The broncos moved their final against the cowboys for the betterment of the game.

lockyrulz

Juniors
They moved their home game from the SFS, to Townsville for an all Qld game. Hardly a big compromise.

They handed their oppostion a final in front of a parochial crowd. This is far more of a compromise than shifting to another Sydney venue ffs...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
They handed their oppostion a final in front of a parochial crowd. This is far more of a compromise than shifting to another Sydney venue ffs...

You find it suprizing that a News Ltd club, moved their home game to a stadium that would sell more tickets, the profits of which would half go back to, you guessed it, News Ltd.

lockyrulz

Juniors
You find it suprizing that a News Ltd club, moved their home game to a stadium that would sell more tickets, the profits of which would half go back to, you guessed it, News Ltd.

So having failed to establish your idiotic argument that the broncos agreeing to shift a finals game to townville is a lesser compromise than the dragons shifting one down the friggen road, you resort to this drivel.

The only thing that surprised me is you spelling surprise with a z. Didnt see that coming...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Add on the notion that they fancy themselves as a controller of public opinion.

Some would say a conflict of interests.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Add on the notion that playing it at a larger venue would mean more money for the game, and more opportunity for dragons and Eels fans to actually go watch it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Locky, you seem intent on getting my attention while at the same time completely ignoring the debate. Plus you're getting a bit upset with people that are disagreeing with you. OK...

Tell me, did you go to Homebush or Kogarah last weekend?

If not, then why?

lockyrulz

Juniors
Locky, you seem intent on getting my attention
Not really. I'm somewhat surprised at the stupidty of the arguments you have put forward though.
while at the same time completely ignoring the debate.
By this drivel I assume you mean disagreeing with your poorly construed excuses for your clubs decision to be selfish. I note you have now lapsed into 'it's all a news ltd conspriacy'

Plus you're getting a bit upset with people that are disagreeing with you. OK...

LOL read your own posts of late Willow? This finals series is really getting to you isn't it? Have you lived long enough to see the dragons win a gf? I'm guessing no, would explain your obvious stress levels.
Tell me, did you go to Homebush or Kogarah last weekend?

Ahh no...

If not, then why?

Well for one, my team wasn't playing, secondly, Sydney is a bit far to travel given I live in Brisbane.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So what do you want, a medal? I was rather hoping you would explain the relevance of your inane question. Oh well
You seem unsettled.

Point is, do you know anything about Sydney venues?

Don't get upset locky, I'm only asking to make sure that really understand the local situation in Sydney.
lockyrulz said:
Another irrelevant question, but yes Willow, I do.
Good for you. Where are you sitting?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm just thankful the Dragons game wasn't the one shown on Spike TV.

:lol: fmd. One of the most enjoyable games I've seen all year and you think people will be tut-tutting at the sight of people standing.

People.like.the.hill.

get it through your skulls.