What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Finals Crowd Thread

Brutus

Referee
Would it be better to play a Storm prelim final on a Fri or Sat night in Melb considering it's AFL GF weekend.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron says he is excited by the prospect of selling a rugby league preliminary final to Victorians on the same day as the AFL grand final.
The Storm secured an NRL preliminary final after Parramatta upset minor premiers St George Illawarra on Sunday to gift Melbourne a free passage to host a grand final qualifier at Etihad Stadium.
But the Docklands venue is booked for the VFL grand final on Friday September 25, meaning the Storm must play their game on the Saturday evening - only hours after the AFL decider is completed at the MCG.
With a guaranteed all-Victorian AFL grand final in the making, the Storm will at least benefit by hosting one of the NRL's best supported teams with the winner of Brisbane and St George Illawarra to face Melbourne for a place in the decider.
"We are certainly surprised but we will take it," said Waldron of the Storm's home preliminary final.
"The AFL grand final is during the day, it is a fantastic opportunity for all those people who have come in from out of town to come straight across the bridge and watch ourselves and whoever it is put on what no doubt will be an epic final.
"I think it's a great thing to have an opportunity to attract a lot of visitors from out of town to a double header with the AFL grand final and a Melbourne Storm preliminary final against a very worthwhile opponent."
Waldron said he would approach the NRL about special promotions to help sell the game in what would no doubt be a difficult local market saturated with AFL coverage.
"Hopefully we can put in place in conjunction with the NRL a media program that provides enormous opportunity for people to come along and experience what should be a great contest no matter who we play," he said.
"The experience of both should be fantastic, who knows what we could do.
"We can attract a healthy audience and that is the most important thing."
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...ppy-to-go-behind-afl-grand-final/default.aspx

Willow

Assistant Moderator
StG v Parra will be played in front of 17k and should of got 50k
What do you base this on? Where do the extra 30,000 people come from?

The game only sold out two days before kick off. Last weekend Bulldogs v Knights home final only got 21,000 at the venue you're promoting. It looked very ordinary, and hardly a good advertisment for the game.

Perhaps you meant 50,000 empty seats.

So will the dragons fill their ground? lol at them if they dont...
Don't you mean lol at the News Ltd lackies predicting a crowd of 50,000?

FTR, Kogarah was a sell out, no freebies either.

Looked tremendous on TV too - a great advertisement for the game.

babyg

Juniors
re the 8.30 start. why didn't they just do the old Friday night switch with the Qld and NSW game. I'm wouldn't have been fussed with the second final on an hours delay.

lockyrulz

Juniors
What do you base this on? Where do the extra 30,000 people come from?

The game only sold out two days before kick off. Last weekend Bulldogs v Knights home final only got 21,000 at the venue you're promoting. It looked very ordinary, and hardly a good advertisment for the game.

Perhaps you meant 50,000 empty seats.

Don't you mean lol at the News Ltd lackies predicting a crowd of 50,000?

FTR, Kogarah was a sell out, no freebies either.

Looked tremendous on TV too - a great advertisement for the game.

If a hyped up semi between St George and Parra couldn't attract at least 35k, then something is seriously wrong in Sydney.

Nothing short of idiocy this game wasn't shifted. What a waste.

sydney is junk

small crowds, no support.

if the match gets 25K I will be wowed.

apparently, according to some of you excuse-loving twats, it'll take weeks to arrive at the stadium from their homes, and once there, the view will be so atrocious, most will wonder why they even bothered.

Oh yeah, AND in spite of living in one of the most affluent times in history, people will actually have to borrow money from short -term money lenders in order to afford a ticket!!

So most of you will claim its !NO WONDER!! the crowd is sooooooo small....

(by the way, maybe I was exagerating with the affluence, nsw is a mess, and even in ancient Carthage, most houses had a spa bath and luxurious quarters.....carthage was the rival to rome, and was incredibly rich....unlike sydney.....1500 years ago....what a long decent sydney!!!)

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
Be thankful that Sydney lets you play rugby league, cause we all know Qlders wouldnt be able to organise anything on their own!

Goddo

Bench
I don't know where this "Sydney is rich" thing comes from. Its entire history has been of struggle. Convicts> Irish/English colony poverty in 19 Century> poverty through the World Wars. Thats why Rugby League was loved in the suburbs. Its Sydneys own working class game.

If there is an Australian city born with a silver (golden actually) spoon its Melbourne. Founded on a river, so nice straight streets. Agrarian industry, find lots of gold, chosen by Brittish Empire to be "London of the South".

If anything, Brisbane for most of its history is no more important than say Townsville, Rockhampton, Newcastle, Grafton or Lismore as a regional centre. Remember what South bank was like before 1988 anyone? Maybe thats why it has only one NRL team. Still thinking small, just in a big stadium now.

And that is PBB and why State of Origin sells out - the inferiority complex they have as Queenslanders. At least that sells seats to State of Origin games.

lockyrulz

Juniors
I don't know where this "Sydney is rich" thing comes from. Its entire history has been of struggle. Convicts> Irish/English colony poverty in 19 Century> poverty through the World Wars. Thats why Rugby League was loved in the suburbs. Its Sydneys own working class game.

If there is an Australian city born with a silver (golden actually) spoon its Melbourne. Founded on a river, so nice straight streets. Agrarian industry, find lots of gold, chosen by Brittish Empire to be "London of the South".

If anything, Brisbane for most of its history is no more important than say Townsville, Rockhampton, Newcastle, Grafton or Lismore as a regional centre. Remember what South bank was like before 1988 anyone? Maybe thats why it has only one NRL team. Still thinking small, just in a big stadium now.

And that is PBB and why State of Origin sells out - the inferiority complex they have as Queenslanders. At least that sells seats to State of Origin games.

Yea I used to feel inferior, then I met some of you, and read posts like this.

Cured that right up.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If a hyped up semi between St George and Parra couldn't attract at least 35k, then something is seriously wrong in Sydney.
Tell that to the promoters of ANZ Stadium and their 59,000 empty seats last weekend.

I suppose if you keep plucking figures out of the air, you'll eventually convince yourself that it is fact. Hey, the tabloids are masters at it and suck people in all the time.

But the reality is that your figure is not backed up by fact.
lockyrulz said:
Nothing short of idiocy this game wasn't shifted. What a waste.
The only idiocy is thinking the game could be rightly shifted one week beforehand.

It's a rip-off to the sponsors and supporters that stuck by the team all year.

Don't like it? Then talk to the NRL - it is their rule. If the NRL wants to change the rule, they have to do at the beginning of the season.

Brutus

Referee
Tell that to the promoters of ANZ Stadium and their 59,000 empty seats last weekend.

For an 8.30pm Bulldogs v Knights match which was overshadowed media-wise by a standalone Sunday afternoon Dragons-Eels game.

Now be honest Willow, how many do you think the Dragons v Eels would've attracted at the SFS or ANZ yesterday? Taking into account that your average potential ticket buyer is far more likely to be attracted to a bigger stadium for this "event" style game rather than an uncomfortable suburban ground when full.

On tele it looked like just another club game.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ah the irony of telling someone they're plucking figures out of the air and you can't even get your own right.

Irrespective of that, comparing Bulldogs v Newcastle, where the teams' fan bases are two hours apart, with Saints v Parramatta, where each teams fans can access the venue much quicker, both Sydney teams, plenty of media... :lol:

lockyrulz

Juniors

You know the irony here is that in your desperation to defend your club, you actually do it a disservice. If you really belive that the level of interest between the bulldogs and Knights was the same as St George and Para then you know very little about league.

If howeveryou are right and I am wrong then league in Sydney has massive problems. The broncos get more than 20 k to watch them play the raiders in a regular fixture ffs.

I suppose if you keep plucking figures out of the air, you'll eventually convince yourself that it is fact.

How is that any different from your imagined low figure at ANZ? You have no idea how many would have turned up had the match been shifted there.
Hey, the tabloids are masters at it and suck people in all the time.

So are NRL club media types by the look.

But the reality is that your figure is not backed up by fact.

Nor is yours. They are guesstimates of course.

The only idiocy is thinking the game could be rightly shifted one week beforehand.

Oh please! Surely Sydney isn't that inept?

It's a rip-off to the sponsors and supporters that stuck by the team all year.

LOLZ
Don't like it? Then talk to the NRL - it is their rule. If the NRL wants to change the rule, they have to do at the beginning of the season.

All I am doing is commenting on the obvious idiocy of it all. You are the one defneding it. God only knows why.

Goddo

Bench
Yea I used to feel inferior, then I met some of you, and read posts like this.

Cured that right up.

Yep. now you know your inferior. ;-)

Even the Queenslander PM who goes for the Broncos and Maroons got into trouble when he said "when you head north from Brisbane you can hear the banjo music in the distance."

lockyrulz

Juniors
Yep. now you know your inferior. ;-)

Ok, you do realise that makes no sense yes? Just checking..

Even the Queenslander PM who goes for the Broncos and Maroons got into trouble when he said "when you head north from Brisbane you can hear the banjo music in the distance."

However many fingers it takes to strum a banjo I confess to not knowing, but my educated guess is, it is a finger too far for you. Inbreeding is a hideous thing, and I commend you for not letting it stop you from living your life as best you can.

Goddo

Bench
lol. Qlder calling inbreading hideous. I thought it was the national sport up there.

Anyway, enough bullsh*t, although it is fun. The original point I was making was Brisbane has grown into a city more recently, and needs more teams, and Sydney is poor. Redcliffe/Sunny Coast or Ipswitch/Logan are most likelies but with so many places wanting a club, and the titans only recently introduced, may have to wait for a Sydney club to relocate or fold, possibly Manly or Cronulla.