What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Finals Crowd Thread

miccle

Bench
shame the neutrals didn't turn up. That is an area our game still lags alot compared to others. We shouldn't have problems selling out any finals game in the supposed heart of the game.

Agreed in some respects, but last night's match wasn't really one for the neutrals anyway. No real history/bad blood between the teams, not a lot of media attention or promotion of the game itself. Most people saw the result as being pretty predictable, and it was really a tough game to market.

The crowd was pretty ordinary, but I can understand why neutrals didn't turn up.

Dogs v Eels on the other hand, being played in an 80k capacity... I think there will be plenty of neutrals at that one, and I'd be one of 'em if I lived in Sydney.

bobmar28

Bench
bobmar is convinced that we should be like the US.

He likes to conveniently ignore the fact that the majority of Australia's population is on the east coast so it isn't a valid comparison.

East coast, west coast, who cares? If we can't fill a stadium in a city of 4.3 million then 9 teams is too many.

Evenflow

Bench
What prices did they charge tonight?

I do agree with your thoughts on pricing for finals games...should be at a level where people can afford to go. However, prices don't seem to deter afl fans rocking up in big nos for finals.

For next week's prelim in Melb. prices were lowered to try to attract more fans to Etihad because we have the afl gf to contend with and also the Melbourne Show....

Last nights prices for Parra v Tits were:

Adults
Cat 1: $55
Cat 2: $45
Cat 3: $35

Junior
Cat 1: $45
Cat 2: $35
Cat 3: $20

AFL tickets for corresponding week 2 games were:

Adults
Premium: $69.50
Prime: $57
Standard: $47
Standing room: $42
Restricted view: $42

Junior
Premium: $17
Prime: $14
Standard: $11.50
Standing room: $10.50
Restricted view: $10.50

Judging by those kids prices i think the NRL could really learn a thing or two from the AFL in that regard. IMO it's ridiculous that childrens prices are so near that of adults prices in the RL finals. Halve those prices and i think you'll see many more parents willing to take their kids to the game as it'd be that much more affordable.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I don't know why people are beating themselves up over this. 28K is not a bad crowd for the SFS.

Week 2 of 2009 is fairly consistent with the crowd numbers for week 2 in recent years. I guess people had higher expectations - or wanted to believe.

Week 3 will be a little higher again. The Grand Final will be packed as expected. By then, how it looks to .2% of Americans on one network will be a non-issue.

ozjet1

Agreed in some respects, but last night's match wasn't really one for the neutrals anyway. No real history/bad blood between the teams, not a lot of media attention or promotion of the game itself. Most people saw the result as being pretty predictable, and it was really a tough game to market.

The crowd was pretty ordinary, but I can understand why neutrals didn't turn up.

Dogs v Eels on the other hand, being played in an 80k capacity... I think there will be plenty of neutrals at that one, and I'd be one of 'em if I lived in Sydney.

not even Hulk Hogan was enough to entice fans.

IMO, pretty f**ked to play the match at the SFS which is nowhere near Parramatta-Blacktown-Hills District anyway. Sure, it was pretty much the ideal venue in terms of capacity for the game, but any Sydney Sider will agree that Gold Coast fans have an easier trip to and from Moore Park on a friday night than those living in the Parra district.

Brutus

Referee
Mmm... is was thinking 58k for Friday night, but if the weather is fine and the build up already is enormous...65k now.

Can't see it getting much higher than 65k with all the stadium members who probably won't turn up. Hope I'm wrong. Would love to see over 70k.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
It will be a good crowd....wont crack 50k though...probably 42k...

cmon this is sydney remember, its always safe to estimate the crowds on the low side!

bobmar28

Bench
Well you avoided most of my points bobmar28, but I do agree with you that a 25K Jubilee would be tremendous. The thing is, it is possible. There are long term plans. But from what I've read here, you could make Kogarah a 30K stadium and pack it out every week, and there would still be opposition supporters looking to drag it down.

When Kogarah has a drop in attendances, there were wankers laying in the boot.

But when (in 2009) it has more sellout crowds than any other venue, a new breed of wankers line up.

Opposition supporters should just be honest and say they don't want their team to play there.

All I want to see is decent sized all seat stadiums. People standing on hills belongs in the past.

bobmar28

Bench
yeah for sure everyone would be so happy that all their clubs history would disappear that they'd now fill out stadiums all supporting the one team :crazy:

That might be better than sitting in a near empty stadium in the middle of winter supporting your suburbs team.

beave

Coach
I hope you are right Tim, because you know that if it doesn't break that mark, there will be diatribe galore in here about the death of footy in Sydney...........

Willow

Assistant Moderator
All I want to see is decent sized all seat stadiums. People standing on hills belongs in the past.
Yes, I understand your fears, you think it looks bad to the yanks.

Believe it or not, not everyone agrees with you.

Besides, you can buy a seat in one of the stands. Have you ever been to Kogarah?

adamkungl

Immortal

I still don't get your fixation on hills.
If people will pay for them, why not?
You have the option to sit in the stands if you don't like standing with the plebs.

That might be better than sitting in a near empty stadium in the middle of winter supporting your suburbs team.

You have problems with winter too now?