What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Premier' Premiers...

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse you stated that the stats proved that the eels of 01 were a "class ABOVE those 3 teams looking at the stats"

sure the stats show they were a great attacking team, but they couldnt win the comp and that seperates the good teams from the greats.

Raiders plight is right on the money...the 1995 eagles were a better team than the 01 eels in terms of good teams that didnt win a comp.

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
perverse you stated that the stats proved that the eels of 01 were a "class ABOVE those 3 teams looking at the stats"
now you're twisting my words.
i said if anything they were a class ABOVE those 3 teams looking at the stats.
i know.. and have implied in this thread previously that stats can be thrown out the window when judging a great team. as history shows.. parramatta didn't win in 2001...

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kiwi said:
Ok lets hear it.

is it a premiership mr kiwi!? :D'

Facts are the 2001 eels can be the greatest team of all time via stats but if they didnt get the job on the day, it doesnt count for sh*t

Kiwi

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
is it a premiership mr kiwi!? :D'

Facts are the 2001 eels can be the greatest team of all time via stats but if they didnt get the job on the day, it doesnt count for sh*t

Bingo.

And if we look back to the top of the page perverse, what does it say?

A - Best team over the last decade

B - Best team to have not won a premiership

C - The "Premier" Premiers

D - I didn't look

Perverse, now remember you have 3 lifelines left. You still have

Lifeline 1 - I can't read too well whats the answer
Lifeline 2 - Ask the forum members
Lifeline 3 - Email a perfect stranger.

Mr Saab

Referee
dont get too stuck into perverse...he was just replying to someone that asked for the eels stats of 2001 to compare to the 1994/6/8 teams.
perverse was not implying that the eels were better than those 3 teams.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Geez, Parra was a better team then these others metioned, but the fact that they chocked on the first sunday of october 2001, does count against them but it does not detract from their overall performance, and thruout the year they were definately better than the eventual premiers

Mr Saab

Referee
maybe, maybe no eelsfanatic...have to remember that A Johns was out for 6 weeks with a knee injury suffered vs the dragons @ the SFS.
In that time the Knights won 2 and lost 4.
Its all "what ifs" but that knights were not that far behind the eels in 2001.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
maybe, maybe no eelsfanatic...have to remember that A Johns was out for 6 weeks with a knee injury suffered vs the dragons @ the SFS.
In that time the Knights won 2 and lost 4.
Its all "what ifs" but that knights were not that far behind the eels in 2001.

well atleast u agree they were behind the eels

Mr Saab

Referee
in terms of stats yes, but overall the knights had the eels measure in 2001...with johns in the team

stoodamire said:
96 Manly Team

22 18 0 4 549 (94-86-1) 191 (32-31-1)

Best defensive team ever?

I had them as #2, a bees dick behind Roosters 02.

Dunno about best defensive team but they'd have to be close. Funnily enough though, I thought they were just as good the year before too, but a GF loss counts them out.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
in terms of stats yes, but overall the knights had the eels measure in 2001...with johns in the team

Wasnt it you that said that you wouldnt ever jugde league by stats yet u also said

Charlie Saab said:
knights were not that far behind the eels in 2001

Mr Saab

Referee
i said i wont judge players by stats in another thread, but in terms of using stats to compare the teams i plead guilty.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
i said i wont judge players by stats in another thread, but in terms of using stats to compare the teams i plead guilty.

Before compare you have to judge, and i beleive u sed that on the tri-nations forum where we were comparing berrigan and cooper, so u judged using stats there, and u did it here as well

Mr Saab

Referee
i never listed the stats of each player...never have i done that. I have no time for comparing tackle counts, hit ups, missed tackles etc.
Someone else did.
All i said was that berrigan is not a hog ( someone said he was) as his winger has 11 tries in 18 games.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
yeah i agreed with u abt berrigan, but my point is u used stats to judge berrigan (i.e. saying hes not a hogg) and compare him to cooper

Mr Saab

Referee
getting picky now eels fanatic...

my main issue in relation to "comparing" players was using the : hit ups, etc as i stated above.