What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Forwards should be

8. Learoyd-Lahrs
9. Farah
10. ??? The problem area. NSW lack a 2nd world class prop. Probably choose between Weyman and Mannah. Bit bias but Dane Tilse could be a bolter
11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

chefman21

Juniors
Forwards should be

8. Learoyd-Lahrs
9. Farah
10. ??? The problem area. NSW lack a 2nd world class prop. Probably choose between Weyman and Mannah. Bit bias but Dane Tilse could be a bolter
11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

I'd stick with Weyman. I just think he has been used poorly. He should be running two off the ruck for maximum effect, rather than one out hit ups where Civo, Myles and co can belt seven shades of sh*t out of him. And he should be getting the ball flat, not deep where Civo, Myles and co can line him up... to belt seven shades of sh*t out of him. The other thing is that I think he hasn't had much of a run yet. He has only played 3 or 4 games, and I think many players don't really get going until they have played 8-10. I'd give him another series or two to see what happens. I mean, we've lost 5 in a row so the expectation is we will lose another 5. At least if we give him another two series then he has a fair few games under his belt and he brings much needed experience.

D

Deleted member 10972

NSW should be bringing in 4 props, 4 backrowers, 1 utility and 1 hooker as a well-balanced forward pack.

The way that the team has been picked over 4Nations, the backrow/utility combination would have to be:

11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Watmough

OR

11. Lewis
12. Young
13. Gallen

14. Bird
15. Watmough

OR

11. Lewis
12. Heighington
13. Gallen

14. Bird
15. Watmough

Either way, Watmough, Gallen, Lewis and Bird have to be there. After years of filtering through backrowers for NSW, these have emerged as the four best prospects for SOO selection. Hoffman, Creagh, Waterhouse, Laffranchi, etc simply didn't make the grade. I am expecting to see the first option, because Gidley seems to have something on the selectors, BUT personally, Bird and Lewis (and Young if picked) have plenty of utility value.

Starting props would be Learoyd-Lahrs and Weyman, without question. Have Douglas, Snowden, Mannah and Grant (and maybe Tigers duo Galloway and Gibbs too) duking it out for bench spots.

abpanther

Staff member
Pretty funny to see Knighta fans putting Uate as a certainty, the guy has gone from nothing to a lock without even playing 1 origin game.

I still don't see what Lawrence has done that puts him miles ahead of guys like Morris and Jennings (who were there when we last won a game)

timka4

Bench
I still don't see what Lawrence has done that puts him miles ahead of guys like Morris and Jennings (who were there when we last won a game)

I still thought J Morris played pretty well this year despite his team's sh*t performance. He scored a few great solo tries this year, which reflected his form last year. But it seemed like everyone gave up on him.

Although form is important, we need to pick the best players.

timka4

Bench
I'd stick with Weyman. I just think he has been used poorly. He should be running two off the ruck for maximum effect, rather than one out hit ups where Civo, Myles and co can belt seven shades of sh*t out of him. And he should be getting the ball flat, not deep where Civo, Myles and co can line him up... to belt seven shades of sh*t out of him. The other thing is that I think he hasn't had much of a run yet. He has only played 3 or 4 games, and I think many players don't really get going until they have played 8-10. I'd give him another series or two to see what happens. I mean, we've lost 5 in a row so the expectation is we will lose another 5. At least if we give him another two series then he has a fair few games under his belt and he brings much needed experience.
lol so you would select a prop that needs a couple of passes before he can receive the ball before he is smashed. He can be in your team, but not mine if he is going to be like that.

Douglas or Snowden or Galloway. 1 of these 3 will be a great starting prop alongside TLL.

chefman21

Juniors
lol so you would select a prop that needs a couple of passes before he can receive the ball before he is smashed. He can be in your team, but not mine if he is going to be like that.

Douglas or Snowden or Galloway. 1 of these 3 will be a great starting prop alongside TLL.

So you like one dimensional play with props who run one off the ruck so Myles, Civo and co can pick them off with ease? Like we have been doing the last 3 or 4 years? Personally I prefer using my players for maximum effect. If that means Weyman hits holes on the edge of the ruck at full tilt then so be it. It doesn't need to be a meathead bash fest which is what we have been doing for the past three or four years. We need to take the Queensland forwards out of play as much as possible, which means not always going up the middle, and definitely means not doing that one out sh*t we have become known for. We need to be getting our forwards running angles, hitting holes and going both one and two off the ruck.

timka4

Bench
No I'm not saying that, I meant I want a prop that can run off the ruck AND also 2 passes from the ruck. I don't want a prop that can only run it 2 passes off the ruck.
If Weyman isn't man or good enough to be able to run it off the ruck, then there are others who can. But I think he can run it off the ruck. Especially if TLL takes the first hit up. Weyman IMO has always had a far to big of a prop workload in all of his origin matches.

chefman21

Juniors
No I'm not saying that, I meant I want a prop that can run off the ruck AND also 2 passes from the ruck. I don't want a prop that can only run it 2 passes off the ruck.
If Weyman isn't man or good enough to be able to run it off the ruck, then there are others who can. But I think he can run it off the ruck. Especially if TLL takes the first hit up. Weyman IMO has always had a far to big of a prop workload in all of his origin matches.

There is no reason why he can't run one off the ruck if need be. Inside our own 20 he needs to. But being so big and immobile, having him trying to make metres in the middle of the park really knackers him. You can watch him play that meathead game in the past and he is done after the first 10. He just gets picked off with ease. It's okay to do that in club games where the speed, skill and intensity is lacking. But in rep games I think you have to push him to the edges where hopefully he makes an impact.

If he had better footwork he would be that much better in the middle of the park, but he doesn't. He could shift his angle of attack to adjust for holes or put some doubt in players minds. But he doesn't and can't. He just grabs the ball, bundles himself up into a giant ball and hopes for the best. Then when you hit him from the side he gets nailed. He may still get nailed by the backrowers or lock, but that means they have had to make an effort to get to him which hopefully will have opened a hole up and definitely will have tired them. With any luck he will get a quick play the ball.

If you can get one of the backrowers running an angle back towards the middle the next play - either off an inside ball, decoy runner or a quick pass, you should be able to punch a hole and get an offload, or at least use that speed and impact to create a quick play the ball and an out of position defender who has had to shift back across quickly.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
Yeah ok, I understand you now. I originally thought you were hoping to have Weyman purely running off a 2 pass out from the ruck, which I thought was strange. Just read it wrong

chefman21

Juniors
Yeah ok, I understand you now. I originally thought you were hoping to have Weyman purely running off a 2 pass out from the ruck, which I thought was strange. Just read it wrong

LOL! Okay! :D

If he was running purely two off the ruck we wouldn't have enough people doing work in the middle of the park.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Pretty funny to see Knighta fans putting Uate as a certainty, the guy has gone from nothing to a lock without even playing 1 origin game.

Uate and Gordan should be the wingers, only drastic form reversal or injury should cost them.

Lawrence has been just about the most consistent center in the nrl for the last 3 years. Even when the tigers play terrible he plays well. He is safe on defence and can also put on a massive hit. He can make a break from nothing or set up his winger which he does nearly every game. Over 100ms he would be just about the quickest bloke in the comp, anyone who saw him burn slater at leichhardt last year will atest tothis.

Plus he hasn't been part of the crap that's been dished up the last 5 years

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The first thing that needs to be done is deciding who is the fullback, five-eighth, halfback and hooker and not just for one f**king game.

My picks would be Hayne or Dugan, Carney, Pearce and Farah, and these players should be automatic selections for at least two years, barring injury and irrespective of the result of the first few games.

The side desperately needs time to gel and form combinations. The rest of the side should be picked around these players.

Yosh

Coach
This is the longest thread I've every started. The thread title doesn't even make any sense. Neither does anyone in here!

RHCP

Bench
This is the longest thread I've every started. The thread title doesn't even make any sense. Neither does anyone in here!
Not making any sense? We've all turned into carbon copies of you Yosh ;-)

mrpwnd

Bench
I wonder, what are peoples opinions on Tony Williams?
He could be a valuable asset in the centres over Jennings/Champion/Lawrence/Morris.

Big Pete

Referee
I wouldn't entirely rule out Tony Williams if he keeps on improving.

At this stage, I'd say no but if he keeps on developing that could quickly change.

Latest posts