What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

watatank

Coach
That may be so but he shouldn't even be in the backline. Much more suited to the forwards. Still, Stuart will go for size and Williams is the biggest back available.

mrpwnd

Bench
Tbh, I just see him being more of a potential game breaker than some of the backs that we have in line for the NSW squad.
I personally can't rate Jennings yet as he's performed poorly in big games, Morris has flopped this year, Champion could potentially make it and Lawrence is pretty damn consistent but none of them have the strike power that Williams could possibly be capable of.
Of course he's still developing and this is all speculation on my part.

mrpwnd

Bench
He can have some great moments, but he is too lazy. Brain explosions in defense as well.
laziness and brain explosions can be attributed to immaturity as a player, he's still very young. But now that he's playing consistently in first grade I wonder if he can develop that maturity and class, IMO he's well on the track I'm sure peoples opinions may change when he begins playing more consistently next year.

Forwards should be

8. Learoyd-Lahrs
9. Farah
10. ??? The problem area. NSW lack a 2nd world class prop. Probably choose between Weyman and Mannah. Bit bias but Dane Tilse could be a bolter
11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

We lack one world class prop let alone a second and we need atleast three if we're to match Queensland up front.

The first thing that needs to be done is deciding who is the fullback, five-eighth, halfback and hooker and not just for one f**king game.

My picks would be Hayne or Dugan, Carney, Pearce and Farah, and these players should be automatic selections for at least two years, barring injury and irrespective of the result of the first few games.

The side desperately needs time to gel and form combinations. The rest of the side should be picked around these players.

Agree 100% they should be looking at that spine you mention for a minimum of 2 and probably 3 or 4 years not one f**king game like they have done and IMO we should be picking attacking players not so called "origin" players who have cost us with sh*t penalties in the past.

chefman21

Juniors
We lack one world class prop let alone a second and we need atleast three if we're to match Queensland up front.
The good thing is we've got some real talent coming through. I can easily see three or even four of Snowden, Tolman, Douglas, Mannah, Grant, Hunt or TLL reaching that status. TLL is close already. Mannah, Tolman, Snowden and Douglas are my other favourites in that order.

Agree 100% they should be looking at that spine you mention for a minimum of 2 and probably 3 or 4 years not one f**king game like they have done and IMO we should be picking attacking players not so called "origin" players who have cost us with sh*t penalties in the past.
We need a proper 10 year plan that no matter what coach we have at the time, they pick the same core group of players each year for continuity. The only thing is it needs to be reviewed every 3 years. There are already a group of 6 or 7 players who are in that group I think who have played Origin or will play Origin.

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
Tbh, I just see him being more of a potential game breaker than some of the backs that we have in line for the NSW squad.
I personally can't rate Jennings yet as he's performed poorly in big games, Morris has flopped this year, Champion could potentially make it and Lawrence is pretty damn consistent but none of them have the strike power that Williams could possibly be capable of.
Of course he's still developing and this is all speculation on my part.

Sorry, but Champion doesn't get even close for me.

1. Dugan
2. hayne
3. Gasnier
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
13. Gallen
12. Bird
11. Lewis
10. Weyman
9. Farah
8. TLL
14. Young
15. Snowden
16. Mannah
17. Douglas/Galloway/Grant/Tolman (depending on who is in the better form at the time)

T.

Yosh

Coach
What does everyone think about the Gaz? I mean he has been there, done it before. He isn't as potent (yet) as he was before but I think having Gaz and Lyon in the centres is a safe bet. Gaz on the right and Lyon on the left.

1. Dugan
2. Uate
3. Gaz
4. Lyon
5. Hayne

I think something like that could be very awesome. Experience in the centres and explosiveness out on the wings. Let me know what you think.

Also in the forwards I think its time to Farah an extended run. Ennis definately not the answer. He is terrible, if anyone disagrees please be a Qlder or you should not follow league anymore.

8. TLL
9. Farah
11. Gallen
12. Lewis
13. Bird

I think something like that would match QLD and set a good platform for players like; Watmough, Mannah, Snowden to come on. Thoughts?

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
laziness and brain explosions can be attributed to immaturity as a player, he's still very young. But now that he's playing consistently in first grade I wonder if he can develop that maturity and class, IMO he's well on the track I'm sure peoples opinions may change when he begins playing more consistently next year.
Definitely, but it will be at least 2 years before he is considered.

Also it seems a lot of people have forgotten about Gordon on the wing (or centres if slotted there next year for Penrith). He had a good game defensively in game 3. He had no ball at all in attack and Beau Scott inside of him, so you can't rate his attack.
End of this year he was on fire, some of his stats were better than Haynes at the back-end of 09'. I would be happy with a centre pairing of Gordon and Lawrence, Powerful attack and defense.

Last edited:

chefman21

Juniors
What does everyone think about the Gaz? I mean he has been there, done it before. He isn't as potent (yet) as he was before but I think having Gaz and Lyon in the centres is a safe bet.
If he is in form, or showing an ounce of form he is a must for me. On his day he is as good as Inglis.

watatank

Coach
Gaz and Lyon are both right centres....if you're looking for experienced left centres then you would be looking at Cooper and Tahu.

Oh and Gaz should really be the first centre picked if NSW is going to be serious about strike players. Much better than the likes of Jennings, Lawrence whose name seems to pop up a lot.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont know what to make of Gasnier. I can only really remember one Origin game where he had a great game and went past Inglis all night. I think it was game 1 in 08. The next week Inglis tore him a new one (Gaz was injured, ill give him that). But that was to Bellamys plan, his centres are hole running centre, something that Gasnier is not, but did in that game.

Gaz is a player that beats his opposite, but I can never really remember him doing it at Origin level.

So yes, while Gasnier is as good as Inglis "on his day", how often is Gaz "on his day"?

For me, Gasnier is sitting right there with Lawrence, Lyon and Jennings. Best performing centres will and should get the gig.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont know what to make of Gasnier. I can only really remember one Origin game where he had a great game and went past Inglis all night. I think it was game 1 in 08. The next week Inglis tore him a new one (Gaz was injured, ill give him that). But that was to Bellamys plan, his centres are hole running centre, something that Gasnier is not, but did in that game.

Gaz is a player that beats his opposite, but I can never really remember him doing it at Origin level.

So yes, while Gasnier is as good as Inglis "on his day", how often is Gaz "on his day"?

For me, Gasnier is sitting right there with Lawrence, Lyon and Jennings. Best performing centres will and should get the gig.

Big Pete

Referee
Well said Tez.

Gasnier was definitely one of the Blue's best that night...he and Stewart were really unlucky not to get that honour from Bird who was behind at least a few players on that night.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
Gaz and Lyon are both right centres....if you're looking for experienced left centres then you would be looking at Cooper and Tahu.

Oh and Gaz should really be the first centre picked if NSW is going to be serious about strike players. Much better than the likes of Jennings, Lawrence whose name seems to pop up a lot.
Hey again Wata.

Gasnier and Lyon have repeatedly failed to defend Inglis.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
Pretty funny to see Knighta fans putting Uate as a certainty, the guy has gone from nothing to a lock without even playing 1 origin game.

I still don't see what Lawrence has done that puts him miles ahead of guys like Morris and Jennings (who were there when we last won a game)
Trent Waterhouse was there the last time you won a match - That doesn't mean he should be picked again.

Yosh

Coach
Well whoever has the hardest right hook should play right centre. Only way we are going to defend Inglis is if has concussion...

Larence & Jennings for the centre combo IMO, with Croker closely behind. I wouldn't pick Lyon cos he's just not into rep footy, and Gasnier's getting a tad long in the tooth.

They're definitely 2 positions that are wide open though. Hopefully they don't go for any of the old brigade - Tahu, Cooper, Lyon, Gasnier or the impotent Beau Scott.

Latest posts