What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

RHCP

Bench
This 'pick and stick' business is going way too far. Dropping a large amount of players after just one game is not something I'm in favour of, but players have to earn their jerseys. If you've been playing poorly and there's a bloke behind you playing out of his skin, then you move aside because your opportunity to prove yourself has been wasted.

I'm not saying that you have one or two bad games and your out, but there's a big difference between players like Anthony Watmough and Jarryd Hayne, who have shown their value to the side and deserve second chances and the flavour of the month who is our apparent 'future'

At some point we've got to stop thinking about the next 5 years and remember we've got a series to win in 2011.

adamkungl

Immortal
Larence & Jennings for the centre combo IMO, with Croker closely behind. I wouldn't pick Lyon cos he's just not into rep footy, and Gasnier's getting a tad long in the tooth.

They're definitely 2 positions that are wide open though. Hopefully they don't go for any of the old brigade - Tahu, Cooper, Lyon, Gasnier or the impotent Beau Scott.

I rate Lyon...I could cop le Gaz.... but if Scott, or the peahearts Tahu and Cooper are ever mentioned in the same sentence as Origin again... :crazy:

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
He showed plenty of good signs in 2007 but he nailed it in 2009.
No, he really didn't. Everybody just thinks he did because he played so well in attack. In defence, he was one of the worst wingers in NSW SOO history.

Trying to explain and prove this to people is like breaking rocks. The video evidence is there for anyone to look at it. He was out of position and defended like Ross Conlon's grandmother in every match.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Kevin Gordon should be on the wing.

For some reason, he loves your pathetic state, and is a proud NSWelshman, but by all means pick Uate :roll:

Pathetic? Grow up.

Sorry not everyone is like Inglis and tries to jump through any loophole to get his rep jersey (and money that comes with it) a bit earlier.

Typical of Qld trying to steal more players that they have no real claim to, apart from the grey rule book.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Kev Gordan is a very good player and I wouldn't be un happy if he was picked.

However he is mostly a finishing winger (a great one) whereas uate can create something out of absolutely nothing

Joker's Wild

Coach
The fact Uate scored so many tries on the end of our sh*tty backline is testemony to that Vic.

Aku will be there barring injury

Big Pete

Referee
No, he really didn't. Everybody just thinks he did because he played so well in attack. In defence, he was one of the worst wingers in NSW SOO history.

Trying to explain and prove this to people is like breaking rocks. The video evidence is there for anyone to look at it. He was out of position and defended like Ross Conlon's grandmother in every match.

In 2007/2009?

No he wasn't, at least not enough to be a liability and his attacking prowess certainly made up for it.

lsta5838

Juniors
Depending on form and injuries, I have gone for:

1. Hayne
2. Gordon (Michael)
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Morris (Brett)
6. Carney
7. Pierce
8. Snowden
9. Young
10. Weyman
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen
14. Gidley
15. Mannah
16. Leroyd-Lars
17. Watmough

I have probably missed someone that should be there. I haven't chosen Ennis or Farah. I would choose Farah over Ennis, but I think having Young in the 9 makes the team look really solid. Gidley can come on and play 45-50 mins at hooker, while Young is on the bench, or in the backrow.

What I would go with

1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Gordon
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Lahrs
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Gallen
12. Watmough
13. Lewis

14. Bird
15. Mannah
16. Grant
17. Galloway

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Thought I might play around a bit with a side. Here goes:

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Gordon
5. Uate

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. TLL
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Tolman/Grant/Galloway/Douglas/Weyman
15. Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Gidley

timka4

Bench
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Lawrence
4. Lyon
5. Uate

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. TLL
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Lewis
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Snowden
15. Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Gidley (Only use him in the last 15-20 min or not at all)

I really liked what Mannah did in the 10min he was given in game 3 last year. I think he will be overlooked this year, through no fault of his own

typicalfan

Coach
I have said before in the left centre thread my idea of Hayne in the centres.

My side rather than simply basing it on nrl form, I will base it on having the most talented outside backs getting the ball most often while in the forwards ones are a mix of size, aggression, workrate and agility.

1. Josh Dugan
2. Michael Gordon
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Chris Lawrence
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Tom Learoyd Lars
9. Robbie Farah
10. Kade Snowden
11. Luke Lewis
12. Paul Gallen (c)
13. Greg Bird

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Anthony Watmough
16. Aiden Tolman
17. Tim Mannah

I would consider Heighington in for Watmough. The only alternative to Gidley on the bench would be to perhaps throw Hayne on the bench and let him come on and rove around.

Hayne at centre is left field but I want him on the edges using his side to dominate like Inglis does. My alternative to Dugan would be Stewart if he starts well.

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I would also consider swapping Watmough for Heighington on the bench, good point

+1 here. Bloody good player. He won't take a backward step and he will go looking for work. A far more rounded player than Watmough. Not better or worse, just rounded. He's got a good defence, good attack, good workrate. Watmough is great in attack, has a good workrate but isn't a great defender. Just depends on balance.

dogz08

First Grade
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Lawrence
4. Jennings
5. Gordon
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. TLL
9. Farah
10. Weyman
11. Lewis (c)
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Gidley
15. Snowden
16. Mannah
17. Watmough

abpanther

Staff member
I would also consider swapping Watmough for Heighington on the bench, good point

I disagree.

I like Heighington as a player but to get his true worth he needs to start and play big minutes, playing him off the bench is a waste IMO. Our bench needs impact players and guys like TLL and Watmough can provide that.

Hutty1986

Immortal
If we can set the foundations up front, we can roll the toads this year. Geez it'll be tough with two games on their dung heap though