What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Word

Juniors
Have been calling for this for years, and finally it's being recognised as one club. Slow as a wet week, but they've done it. Whoever managed to convince the stubborn pelicans on the board, build them a statue.
100% it's the right move but it's still only a nominal change. Real change for the better will only come when they scrap the joint ownership situation. 50/50 ownership is the real issue for me. They need someone to take over 100% and really back the club financially and push it forward. We seem to be stuck in the past, and the idea that apparently the club should be half owned by the St George area and half owned by the Illawarra area is outdated and hamstrings us. I couldn't give a monkey's which area the owner comes from as long as they love the club and put some money into our pathways system and training facilities.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Just read that Andrew Lancaster will remain as chairmen for 2 more years. Board electing to scrap the year on year off system we had previously. Can be reelected as well after the 2 years. Board has also decided to removed the title of ‘Joint Venture’. We are now just 1 club. St George Illawarra Dragons.
Hooray!
One little step for man, but a giant leap for Dragonkind

Parko1310

Juniors
100% it's the right move but it's still only a nominal change. Real change for the better will only come when they scrap the joint ownership situation. 50/50 ownership is the real issue for me. They need someone to take over 100% and really back the club financially and push it forward. We seem to be stuck in the past, and the idea that apparently the club should be half owned by the St George area and half owned by the Illawarra area is outdated and hamstrings us. I couldn't give a monkey's which area the owner comes from as long as they love the club and put some money into our pathways system and training facilities.
Completely agree

Mojo

Bench
Mary let Jai go when he was only a pup? From what he showed in that clip that was a mistake as he has developed into a terrific spine utility that Flanno could use..
Fair dinkum, between Mary and Hook, you could be forgiven for thinking they were actually trying to destroy the club. Glaring examples of ego having no place in leadership - (along with Gus). It's a weird thing that a genuine focus on the progress of others is the defining characteristic of good leaders and humility sustains success. Admittedly both qualities are very difficult to put into practice.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Mary let Jai go when he was only a pup? From what he showed in that clip that was a mistake as he has developed into a terrific spine utility that Flanno could use..
I dunno. I thought we let him go prematurely, but he played a season with Parramatta after he left us and only played a handful of first grade games for them. In the games I watched he looked very average. No doubt he has improved since then and his ESL highlights reel is impressive, but I can't help thinking ESL is the best place for him. Bringing him back would be a mistake both for him and for us.

Parko1310

Juniors
Simply, Field isn't good enough for the NRL. Let's not pretend he's the next JT because he's a Dragons junior. He's lightning quick, but that will only get you so far in this comp. Why would we look at Jai Field when we can look at players like Meaney, Tracey, Metcalf. It makes no sense, all of these options are far better and can play the role better, i.e. cover halves and fullback. Plus, all possibilities of actually making the first team, especially Meaney and Tracey.

Phantom V

Juniors
Gre
Fair dinkum, between Mary and Hook, you could be forgiven for thinking they were actually trying to destroy the club. Glaring examples of ego having no place in leadership - (along with Gus). It's a weird thing that a genuine focus on the progress of others is the defining characteristic of good leaders and humility sustains success. Admittedly both qualities are very difficult to put into practice.
Great point! I think in the case of Hook and Mary, their downfall was loyalty to certain individuals to the detriment of the team as a whole.

BLM01

First Grade
I dunno. I thought we let him go prematurely, but he played a season with Parramatta after he left us and only played a handful of first grade games for them. In the games I watched he looked very average. No doubt he has improved since then and his ESL highlights reel is impressive, but I can't help thinking ESL is the best place for him. Bringing him back would be a mistake both for him and for us.
100% Johnno
ESL is the place to glow when there is no NRL club to go

qld redvee

Juniors
supposedly we are looking at resigning burns and conner muhl.. , if we sign burns does that mean that the edge forwards we are talking to have turned us down ? and if we resign conner then is it at top 30 or development . Further does it mean flanno has given up on signing another hooker .. Things are bad if we have to resign burns and russell .. where the hell does any improvement come from for next year ????
all the talk of wait and we will see is starting to be just that TALK .... we need new players not the same old ones .

denis preston

First Grade
supposedly we are looking at resigning burns and conner muhl.. , if we sign burns does that mean that the edge forwards we are talking to have turned us down ? and if we resign conner then is it at top 30 or development . Further does it mean flanno has given up on signing another hooker .. Things are bad if we have to resign burns and russell .. where the hell does any improvement come from for next year ????
all the talk of wait and we will see is starting to be just that TALK .... we need new players not the same old ones .
Agree, new faces in the 17 at the very least will improve things. If not then we have the same ole same ole to look forward to next year. it goes against what Webb & Flanno have be alluding to the past month. Say our mantra again “ I must be patient, I must be patient “

Dragon David

First Grade
If this is the scenario of what is to come with the retention of Burns, Russell etc and only the signing of Sele and Flanno jnr, it's no wonder that Master Hunt is continuing to look for a way out. I am sure that Flanno has said that we need middle and edge forwards and a couple of backs but again I see it as a lot of hot air and whatever is being said could be exactly what Flanno wants but I have the feeling that there are no suitable ones available or that those that are don't want us as the club to play for.

Actions speak louder than words and we are seeing lots of the verbs, nouns, syllables, adjectives etc, in the press, so it's about time that we either hear that they are close to signing someone and that now that Millard has come to the club as the recruitment/pathways guru we might see some names on the website or breaking news in the tabloids.

redVinme

Bench

It's frustrating for sure but go have a look who is off contract that we can talk to right now. Players off contract in 23 is so thin and you "can't" make an offer for anyone off contract in 24 until Nov 1st. So unless you want more but just slightly different plodders the club is better waiting and hoping to get some early releases after Nov 1.

I'm don't think I'm exaggerating saying anyone we can grab now is a sideways move at best in the forwards.

I want signings too but am gonna temper expectations until then at least. Of course the club will still probably be useless then but at least this way I get a few weeks of hope 😂

TruSaint

Referee
It's frustrating for sure but go have a look who is off contract that we can talk to right now. Players off contract in 23 is so thin and you "can't" make an offer for anyone off contract in 24 until Nov 1st. So unless you want more but just slightly different plodders the club is better waiting and hoping to get some early releases after Nov 1.

I'm don't think I'm exaggerating saying anyone we can grab now is a sideways move at best in the forwards.

I want signings too but am gonna temper expectations until then at least. Of course the club will still probably be useless then but at least this way I get a few weeks of hope 😂

Im looking at Flannos appointment as a total reboot/rebuild.

Big names, will come once we are established as a fair dinkum footy side.
Right now, clear out the deadwood, sign / extend potential, and see what the market has.

Dont want to go down the path of paying overs for the sake of it.

Latest posts