What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Rumours emanating out of England suggest Trent Barrett will be appointed Wigan’s coach in the coming days.

What a shame.

BLM01

First Grade
Still, no thanks.

Barrett lost all credibility with his “Cronulla represent the best chance of a premiership before retirement” after finishing up with Wigan as a player in 2008.
Look..I am also one of Mary's biggest critics and frustrated like most with some team selections and coaching style and wish for someone better and believe we have not got the mentality within to be a consistent Top 4 side especially win a comp. That is down to the coaching team, style, conservative
plans and just lack of nous and smarts to go to another level.
But the names bandied around have no better runs on the board
Our next coach must be a proven better NRL option than Mary whoever that may be.

That is why i will stick my head out to be chopped off by everyone and maintain Toovey is the only one so called AVAILABLE I would give a crack at..with his mate Noddy as his assistant who is helping Morris.
Next would be ARTHUR. He has a worse record but I like his no BS no nonsense style and the way he coaches his sides to play. He is not an excuse man and is not afraid to promote and relegate and his club board created a mess for him in recent years.

People call for Holbrook but I am sorry a Super League coach for me is too big a risk and dont see how he is proven better.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Look..I am also one of Mary's biggest critics and frustrated like most with some team selections and coaching style and wish for someone better and believe we have not got the mentality within to be a consistent Top 4 side especially win a comp. That is down to the coaching team, style, conservative
plans and just lack of nous and smarts to go to another level.
But the names bandied around have no better runs on the board
Our next coach must be a proven better NRL option than Mary whoever that may be.

That is why i will stick my head out to be chopped off by everyone and maintain Toovey is the only one so called AVAILABLE I would give a crack at..with his mate Noddy as his assistant who is helping Morris.
Next would be ARTHUR. He has a worse record but I like his no BS no nonsense style and the way he coaches his sides to play. He is not an excuse man and is not afraid to promote and relegate and his club board created a mess for him in recent years.

People call for Holbrook but I am sorry a Super League coach for me is too big a risk and dont see how he is proven better.

Toovey will never leave his beloved Manly.

Arthur would be interesting at a club with a stronger roster and better culture.

Old Timer

Coach
So having read so many of the posts re "quality coaches or lack there of" someone best tell the NRL not to expand because it isn't actually about the shortage of players, it is all about the shortage of quality coaches who can in fact create quality players.
If we as a club can't find someone better than coach then the NRL is completely f**ked and has no future whatsoever.

BLM01

First Grade
So having read so many of the posts re "quality coaches or lack there of" someone best tell the NRL not to expand because it isn't actually about the shortage of players, it is all about the shortage of quality coaches who can in fact create quality players.
If we as a club can't find someone better than coach then the NRL is completely f**ked and has no future whatsoever.

Now your talking about the real elephant in the room. The whole game has a huge problem as it has thrown everything except the kitchen sink in regards to support, money to the elite level and nothing else.
The result is what you have now. Professional sport..we wanted it apparently, we got it!
Managers, media & the corporate embracing professional elite level sport and all the merry men in administration and the media enjoying the ride as their pockets get lined with $$$.
Who cares about what happens to levels below 1st grade and the Joe Bloe supporter coming into the gate.

Outside the last 15 years recent winning premiership coaches of Bellamy, Robbo, Bennett, Green, McGuire, Flanno (susp), Hasler there are no real coaches that pop their head up. Except the first 3 and Flanno the jury is still out on their credentials now going forward. Sheens before that in 2005.
There is also a lack of talent without importing more Polynesian, NZ & Super League English players across the NSW / ACT based teams. Just watch Canterbury Cup difference between 1st grade and then that difference again between Jersey Flegg.
The old days someone could back up for 2-3 grades when Under 23's. Cant happen now. Shame

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Expansion into new areas = more funds from media outlets in new areas which will line the pockets even more of the current media employees, NRL heirarchy, admin, managers and then players.
Why would they not want it?

denis preston

First Grade
Now your talking about the real elephant in the room. The whole game has a huge problem as it has thrown everything except the kitchen sink in regards to support, money to the elite level and nothing else.
The result is what you have now. Professional sport..we wanted it apparently, we got it!
Managers, media & the corporate embracing professional elite level sport and all the merry men in administration and the media enjoying the ride as their pockets get lined with $$$.
Who cares about what happens to levels below 1st grade and the Joe Bloe supporter coming into the gate.

Outside the last 15 years recent winning premiership coaches of Bellamy, Robbo, Bennett, Green, McGuire, Flanno (susp), Hasler there are no real coaches that pop their head up. Except the first 3 and Flanno the jury is still out on their credentials now going forward. Sheens before that in 2005.
There is also a lack of talent without importing more Polynesian, NZ & Super League English players across the NSW / ACT based teams. Just watch Canterbury Cup difference between 1st grade and then that difference again between Jersey Flegg.
The old days someone could back up for 2-3 grades when Under 23's. Cant happen now. Shame

The old days in a one city comp ?

BLM01

First Grade
No. State comp first was Ok from 1982.
I accepted Brisbane and Qld teams joining the comp and did not have to go to the extremes it has based on chasing the $ at the expense of everything that propped it up. Still could have had 3 grades in a QLD / NSW based combined based competition. Salary cap does not have to be $10 mill. Who says, what if it is was only $1mill and the best player earns $100,000. We still would have people playing rugby league.
Why did our comp have to include NZ (maybe OK)..but Melb could not of cared less.

AFL expanded where it is played in more states but they still have not expanded offshore or included Tassie or NT in their premier comp. They expanded into Sydney & Brisbane where it was not their premier sport but still large volume of people were playing the game here at a local park level.

Old Timer

Coach
Loved those days.
All the main games at 3pm and the local grounds were pretty much just as fool then as now so what did expansion actually achieve?
  • An arrogant Broncos team that has been pampered to ever since it came in.
  • A Melbourne team that is even more arrogant and pampered than the Brisbane one.
  • A Warriors side that is just a constant joke considering what it was supposed to be.
  • A plethora of failed franchise' and of course the Superleague war.
  • SOO which has become the pinnacle of the game rather than the premiership and the Test team.
  • I would say that Canberra and Newcastle have done their share of hard yards and are deserving of a spot and god love them they do try to promote junior football.
  • I must admit, I don't mind the Cowboys but if I had my way they would be collateral damage as I'd just have a NSW comp and f**k the rest.
  • If you went back to a NSW comp, IMO it could work and prosper whereas Vic would die the next day and Qld in a season or two as they have no basis to run from and have been parasites on Sydney teams for years.

Bench
I remember the days when you roll up to Saints Leagues club on game day, members were allowed to park there.
A few quite ones at the bar, then over to Kogarah get a couple of those hot dogs which have been boiling from the last home game get your copy of Rugby League week, find your spot on the hill get your saints gear on and watch all grades.
Those were great days. Those days are sadly missed

blacksafake

First Grade
I remember the days when you roll up to Saints Leagues club on game day, members were allowed to park there.
A few quite ones at the bar, then over to Kogarah get a couple of those hot dogs which have been boiling from the last home game get your copy of Rugby League week, find your spot on the hill get your saints gear on and watch all grades.
Them hot dogs,;) Once you smothered them in sauce & mustard they still tasted ok:p

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Very true indeed, 2010.
In the late sixties, early seventies, Chang, Smithy and various players would park their cars around the fountain till dad found a spot for them. They all had flash car, presumably loaned from Dominelli Ford and alike, hence the opportunity for me to get a signature etc from them.

Great days they were.......................Thanks for bring back some good memories.

Latest posts