What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Yep
minor suspension sufficient and accident
Not the hysterical media post match coverage and everybody weighing in on the trial by media
FFS Channel 9 were playing MRC with the charge book out
Should he have been sent off.. probably either or
But Robbos post media whinge and NRL and Perenara bunker bash and poor Rooster player negligence, was gold and worth a 10 fold fine 😁👍 and Robbo to be suspended from coaching longer than Mitchell will receive a suspension..
I may be a bit over the top there 😝
The self righteous attack on Latrell by all and sundry was sickening

No doubt it was going to be a “I’m going to smash you side on tackle” amongst a couple of mates and unfortunately went astray due to several factors.

Unfortunately the incredibly soft nature of some of the stuff that has copped suspensions this year and the constant cry of the media “to clean up the game” will see him suspended longer than what it is really worth.

Whikst I dislike Gallen intensely he does provide a voice of reason when it comes to these situations as he simply calls it like it is in that it is a physical game and things do happen.

Worth 2 weeks IMO and whilst on that how the hell did all this carry over points rubbish come about?

By all means rub them out for as long as each individual event warrants but the notion that you get longer now because of something prior is ridiculous.

All that carry over points is saying is “we didn’t get it right last time”

blacksafake

First Grade
The self righteous attack on Latrell by all and sundry was sickening

No doubt it was going to be a “I’m going to smash you side on tackle” amongst a couple of mates and unfortunately went astray due to several factors.

Unfortunately the incredibly soft nature of some of the stuff that has copped suspensions this year and the constant cry of the media “to clean up the game” will see him suspended longer than what it is really worth.

Whikst I dislike Gallen intensely he does provide a voice of reason when it comes to these situations as he simply calls it like it is in that it is a physical game and things do happen.

Worth 2 weeks IMO and whilst on that how the hell did all this carry over points rubbish come about?

By all means rub them out for as long as each individual event warrants but the notion that you get longer now because of something prior is ridiculous.

All that carry over points is saying is “we didn’t get it right last time”
Agree with most OT particularly Gallen but that hit is worthy of more than 2 weeks.
Yes it was probably a case of wanting to hit a “mate” hard but it went wrong & should be looking at 6 weeks imo.
The lack of remorse when confronted by Manu was not a good look either.
Not sure exactly when carrier over points came in but they should be abolished & every case treated on their merits without fines or early pleas.

ALSGI

Bench
Agree with most OT particularly Gallen but that hit is worthy of more than 2 weeks.
Yes it was probably a case of wanting to hit a “mate” hard but it went wrong & should be looking at 6 weeks imo.
The lack of remorse when confronted by Manu was not a good look either.
Not sure exactly when carrier over points came in but they should be abolished & every case treated on their merits without fines or early pleas.
Agree.
Rava gets 5 weeks.
Mitchell should get more.

Quickly becoming one of the grubbiest players out there. See the carry on after his try. Does it all the time and not what kids should be looking up to. Shame really.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Agree.
Rava gets 5 weeks.

Quickly becoming one of the grubbiest players out there. See the carry on after his try. Does it all the time and not what kids should be looking up to. Shame really.
Agree also. This was why the shoulder charge rule (and given there was no wrapping motion this qualifies) was brought in. Poor Rava has missed half the season for tackles that bore little to no risk - and certainly far less risk than the one last night.

Souths are a very unlikeable team. But then again so are Melbourne and Easts. It's going to be tough to find someone to barrack for this September.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree also. This was why the shoulder charge rule (and given there was no wrapping motion this qualifies) was brought in. Poor Rava has missed half the season for tackles that bore little to no risk - and certainly far less risk than the one last night.

Souths are a very unlikeable team. But then again so are Melbourne and Easts. It's going to be tough to find someone to barrack for this September.
Penrith without question, a very likeable team imo. Cleary is an all time great in the making.

Old Timer

Coach
I here what some posters are saying re Rava etc but in all fairness that shows what a farce it all is.

Rava should have only been given 👏👏👏 for his tackle and should never have missed a game.

But because he did many say therefore LM should get even more which IMHO is a false argument.

There are things that happen because of nothing but intent and things that happen as a result of circumstances somewhat beyond your control which is how I saw last nights incident.

Re his celebration after his try I say good on him as he was just showing the emotion that he dealt against his former club in a very much “get that the f**k up you” way.

I remember the great Phil Kearns doing that against the might of the All Black’s and for mine it was a defining moment for the Wallabies and LM’s passion is very much the same IMO.

qld redvee

Juniors
Big rig
yesterdays daily telecrap had the story .. we wanted to loan Jacks for 2 weeks ..... then if Lussack performs we may try to get him over for next year as he is down the pecking order at easts

Trifili13

Juniors
6 weeks early plea or 9 weeks if he fights and loses it sound ok to me. You play a high risk game and lose you pay the price. IMO you can't just say he was going for a big hit and things happen on the field as it's a contact sport otherwise everyone is going to be saying the same thing.

I agree with a lot that you say OT but going for a big hit and fracturing someones cheekbone is worth more than 2 weeks. Manu might have been falling a bit but pretty sure it was Mitchell's shoulder that did the damage which would indicate that Manu was still relatively upright.

be55

Juniors
Who cares really it’s a rugby league forum not a legal forum. Time and place for everything I guess.
Yeah...god forbid anyone discussing and having an opinion on an incident involving one of our new recruits 🙄

Nor an emotional, moral or PC lesson forum which it has slowly become over 5 years I have been on here
I joined for the league fun banter, strong opinions and debates it used to be all about without emotion and as long it was forum legal you could debate or argue league anything rationally.

It is only a few high horses that spoil it
suppose all that whinge tells I need a break too! 😝
The only reason that's your attitude to what happened is because you see everything through your Hook coloured glasses...you can't be objective at all...as soon as people started making comments about Burgess, you somehow took it as a criticism of your almighty leader, because Hook was the one who signed him...No one was even passing judgment on Hook for anything...

Before virtually any news had come through about what happened you were already rolling out the excuses for him...Your undying love and support for anything that Hook does, is completely over the top at times...

As for "moral or PC lesson" i thought you were all about Hook changing the culture and weeding out the bad eggs...

I guess that's just your attitude when it suits the narrative right...Your glowing praise for recruiting a player coming off of a 9 week suspension for multiple eye gouging offences pretty much proves that...

Something tells me that if Hook turned up to your house every day and keyed your car and pissed in your pool, you'd just tell everybody you deserved it...

No offence...maybe i need a break as well 😋

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree.
Rava gets 5 weeks.

He seems to be picking up some of the traits of the wabbit’s former fullback Greg Ingles - both tremendously gifted players who seemed to occasionally wander over to ‘ the dark side ‘ of footy .

Still for mine the damage inflicted upon Manu was sickening - accidental or not , he should be gone for the season .

kit66

Bench
Am I the only one who thinks Mitchell’s hit on Manu wasn’t high. , he was in his knees ffs.

Latrell's intention was to shoulder Manu right from the start, he made no attempt at a normal tackle in any way, no arms no bend and drive, nothing, he stays upright and leads with the shoulder, totally reckless and showed no concern for the welfare of the player he was about to hit. He deserves whatever he gets. Should have been marched.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I here what some posters are saying re Rava etc but in all fairness that shows what a farce it all is.

Rava should have only been given 👏👏👏 for his tackle and should never have missed a game.

But because he did many say therefore LM should get even more which IMHO is a false argument.

There are things that happen because of nothing but intent and things that happen as a result of circumstances somewhat beyond your control which is how I saw last nights incident.

Re his celebration after his try I say good on him as he was just showing the emotion that he dealt against his former club in a very much “get that the f**k up you” way.

I remember the great Phil Kearns doing that against the might of the All Black’s and for mine it was a defining moment for the Wallabies and LM’s passion is very much the same IMO.

OT, I normally find myself on the same side of issues as you but my view relating to Latrell is a bit different. Having said that I am much more in accord with your quoted post than your earlier one.

I never have inside info for the Forum, so in Latrell's case where I do, I feel compelled to comment. I have met Latrell away from footy on a couple of occasions, worked with his Dad about 25 years back and have had the chance to reconnect several times with his Dad in recent years. A fine footballer in his own right, a tremendous guy and a great worker for his community.

These are the points I would like to make:

1. I thought Latrell's tackle was dangerous. Had Latrell's right arm made contact with Manu's head it would have smashed him. Instead the shoulder or chest did the damage to the cheekbone. As a result I believe the MRC's judgment is reasonable especially when compared to their blitz of a couple of months ago.

2. Despite the saga the inside story of Latrell leaving the Roosters was simple - they didn't want him any more so you are probably spot on with the ball slamming.

3. Off the field Latrell is a very quiet, even shy, young man. Humble and unassuming. Very strong sense of family. A very decent kid.

4. I regard myself as privileged to have been sent a copy of a school assignment in which Latrell was interviewed. He shows a very gentle side to his nature, showing great respect to the teenager interviewing him. He outlines the appalling racism to which he was subjected while playing his junior football in the Manning District. All in a calm, factual manner. Having spent 30 years working with kids in the area and aware of the level of racism I observed in my time there, his quietly told stories brought tears to my eyes. No boy should have been subjected to what he copped.

5. It seems to me that at times Latrell's aggression is over the top. I don't excuse that but assume that the way he plays his footy is a response to what he suffered while growing up. It must be ingrained in him if coaches like Robinson and Bennett have not been able to eradicate it.

ALSGI

Bench
OT, I normally find myself on the same side of issues as you but my view relating to Latrell is a bit different. Having said that I am much more in accord with your quoted post than your earlier one.

I never have inside info for the Forum, so in Latrell's case where I do, I feel compelled to comment. I have met Latrell away from footy on a couple of occasions, worked with his Dad about 25 years back and have had the chance to reconnect several times with his Dad in recent years. A fine footballer in his own right, a tremendous guy and a great worker for his community.

These are the points I would like to make:

1. I thought Latrell's tackle was dangerous. Had Latrell's right arm made contact with Manu's head it would have smashed him. Instead the shoulder or chest did the damage to the cheekbone. As a result I believe the MRC's judgment is reasonable especially when compared to their blitz of a couple of months ago.

2. Despite the saga the inside story of Latrell leaving the Roosters was simple - they didn't want him any more so you are probably spot on with the ball slamming.

3. Off the field Latrell is a very quiet, even shy, young man. Humble and unassuming. Very strong sense of family. A very decent kid.

4. I regard myself as privileged to have been sent a copy of a school assignment in which Latrell was interviewed. He shows a very gentle side to his nature, showing great respect to the teenager interviewing him. He outlines the appalling racism to which he was subjected while playing his junior football in the Manning District. All in a calm, factual manner. Having spent 30 years working with kids in the area and aware of the level of racism I observed in my time there, his quietly told stories brought tears to my eyes. No boy should have been subjected to what he copped.

5. It seems to me that at times Latrell's aggression is over the top. I don't excuse that but assume that the way he plays his footy is a response to what he suffered while growing up. It must be ingrained in him if coaches like Robinson and Bennett have not been able to eradicate it.
Thanks for the insight mate. Good to know there’s a good guy in there too.

Some call it aggression but I see a grub with the over the top stuff. Like I said in a post, his grubbiness is a real shame he is enormously talented and could be a really great role model.

Maddragon99

Juniors
It was the worst hit I’ve seen in a long time.
Why does Latrell Mitchell have to play like such a grub? He’s obviously a very talented footy player but he’s also a dirty grub. Awful hit on a mate he used to play with, as you say one of the worst we’ve seen for a while.

I was surprised Easts let him go couple of years ago but there was obviously some behavioural issues there that Easts didn’t want around.

thebigredv

First Grade
And just like that I'd say easts and south's chances are over.

Manu and Latrell have been having outstanding seasons.

Storm, Panthers and Manly only possibilities left unless theres a big miracle.

Latest posts