What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
straight swap for jet ski ... probably offers a bit more .. Our main trouble is having a coach that can get the best out of players and use a game plan to assisst .
Salary cap - we are paying overs for too many players so we are forced to fill our roster with castoffs ..

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

The St George Illawarra Dragons are on the verge of securing their first new recruit for the 2023 campaign, with reports the Red V are preparing to make an offer to unwanted Warriors back-rower Jack Murchie.

The 25-year-old was not offered a new contract by the New Zealand club for the 2023 season despite impressing in his limited opportunities, thanks largely to the Warriors’ recruitment securing a number of more experienced options in Marata Niukore and Mitch Barnett.

While he doesn’t match them for experience, it’s believed the Dragons view Murchie as a good option to fill the void left by the departure of senior players including Tariq Sims and Josh McGuire.

Murchie has played 40 NRL games since making his debut for the Canberra Raiders in 2018, alternating largely between the second row and as an impact player off the bench. He also represented Australia at under-23 level.

NRL Rd 11 - Warriors v Wests Tigers
GOSFORD, AUSTRALIA - MAY 21: Jack Murchie of the Warriors is tackled during the round 11 NRL match between the New Zealand Warriors and the Wests Tigers at Central Coast Stadium on May 21, 2021, in Gosford, Australia. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
The Warriors have gone to lengths to ensure all players were aware of their contract status prior to the end of the season, and Murchie is just one of 15 players being let go prior to the arrival of new coach Andrew Webster.

While some players have already secured their future at other clubs, Murchie joins a group including Daejarn Asi, Jackson Frei and Dunamis Lui without a confirmed club for 2023.
So we lose a SOO player in Sims and replace him with a fringe first grade player
From the Warriors?

meanwhile the roosters lose their hooker verrills and sign the cheese. The dogs lose a few of their team and sign Adocarr, burton, Kikau. But we’re the ones with salary cap issues?

Last edited:

redVinme

Juniors
So we are now looking at Murchie from the Warriors to bolster our forward pack for 23...?
Hearing that JOHN BATEMAN wants back in the NRL
Tough as nails and real mongrel in his game
why wouldnt we at least inquire esp as the main suitors at the moment are the Tigers :rolleyes::rolleyes:
James Graham just got the punt he'd probs tell him to stay away from the joint lol..

thebigredv

First Grade
So we are now looking at Murchie from the Warriors to bolster our forward pack for 23...?
why wouldnt we at least inquire esp as the main suitors at the moment are the Tigers :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yes and even bigger yes.

Mentioned Murchie 6 months ago. TBH hasn't set the world on fire when I've watched but solid and definitely better than the likes of Poasa and Alvaro. Batemen proved he was up to it in NRL and would be a great acquisition. Something tells me our management wouldn't have the brains to make it happen.

justadragon

Bench
I would understand this if we were looking to bolster the KOE cup side which does need it but the delusional prospect of having Murchie replace Sims or Moose is idiotic, oh hang on its the Dragons , that is why it will happen and next year we will discover that we paid too much and our salary cap is stuffed, WTF is Flanno doing.

denis preston

First Grade
Calm down folks, this guy is only 25 and played 40 games, he was a junior rep player so may work out to be a handy pickup and not break the bank. there are hopefully plenty more signings to come, they cant all be top tier....
Agree Mickov but watch all the negative sarcastic responses to this ! I haven't heard of him but some on here have seen him play and all say he has upside so that's good and surely he doesn't put a big dent in our cap ?

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree Mickov but watch all the negative sarcastic responses to this ! I haven't heard of him but some on here have seen him play and all say he has upside so that's good and surely he doesn't put a big dent in our cap ?

What I have seen of Murchie is that he runs very good lines in attack. He isn't the bullocky type of runner that Sims and Moose are. He is 1.93cm tall and weighs 105 kg.

Defensively he is quite good and I think that he would be a good buy for us at a good price.

He would fit in with us either as a first grader or KOE Cup player, but I'm thinking he will be in first grade.

Mjab

Juniors
Paul Kent on 360 last night was complaining the Leichhardt Oval was charging $50 entry for the hill on Sunday. Holy hell that’s over the top!
just for interest sake, how much do we charge for Jubilee and/or Win outer ground?

I think $20 is about right but I’m out of touch. I’m old and soft now :) and sit in the stand.
looked at going to see Saints Parra at Bankwest as i hadnt been there before and apparently a great stadium to watch in
cheapest tickets were $100 from what I could see at the sides , not sure about the ends

no Idea Kogarah havent been years , not since Bennett left

Mjab

Juniors
Saints will think about just after he signs elsewhere
Their all too busy sleeping off their all you can eat buffet at the Taj

justadragon

Bench
I agree with you guys and my response wasnt meant to be sarcastic, my concern is once again we are buying a player who is a discard from another club, we have said Burns runs good lines, we thought jetski would go well, heck we even hoped for Burgess. As I said if he was purchased for KOE no problem, what has happened to our junior forwards, Coric , sherab etc. I just dont like the thought of the Dragons picking up players as reserves/backup for a couple of NRL games in an emergency and then we do a Woods, and now next year to top it off. Why didnt we have J Hunt in there for the majority of those games, he would have been way better for it now and a lot more upside than Woods.

Illusion

Bench
I agree with you guys and my response wasnt meant to be sarcastic, my concern is once again we are buying a player who is a discard from another club, we have said Burns runs good lines, we thought jetski would go well, heck we even hoped for Burgess. As I said if he was purchased for KOE no problem, what has happened to our junior forwards, Coric , sherab etc. I just dont like the thought of the Dragons picking up players as reserves/backup for a couple of NRL games in an emergency and then we do a Woods, and now next year to top it off. Why didnt we have J Hunt in there for the majority of those games, he would have been way better for it now and a lot more upside than Woods.
You have every right to be concerned feel that way , because the same crap continues year after year , half the forward pack should be playing KOE , then purchase player that are better than we have ..... But the problem seems to be we paid too much for them players that Hook coached years ago , and we have a lot of dud players ..... So yep you have every right to be concerned .....

TruSaint

Referee
Calm down folks, this guy is only 25 and played 40 games, he was a junior rep player so may work out to be a handy pickup and not break the bank. there are hopefully plenty more signings to come, they cant all be top tier....

So he's 25 and only played 40 games in the NRL , and we should chill out.

Yeah, nah.

He couldn't make it at the Warriors, what makes you think he will now. 25 years old isn't a "prospect".

You're right on one point tho, he won't break the bank. So he's a cert to sign.