What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

JoeD

First Grade
I don't think 'player power' has any place in top level sport. If any player doesn't like what the coach says he is free to leave - when his contract expires.
Don't agree. This is one of those ideas that is great in principal but not in practice. What you're saying - the coach is always right - is clearly not the case. Why shouldn't the players be unhappy if the coach is a looney?

Its kind of like the people who think 'the customer is always right' has clearly never been in business before.

Iafeta

Referee
human-centipede-385-240.jpg

I think they'd be pretty nervous about letting him go - I mean if he's not there next year they'll probably do pretty badly and the NRL will revoke their license....... cut throat business apparently.

Ahahaha.... double strike of quality from Reece!

Rich102

Staff member
Don't agree. This is one of those ideas that is great in principal but not in practice. What you're saying - the coach is always right - is clearly not the case. Why shouldn't the players be unhappy if the coach is a looney?

Its kind of like the people who think 'the customer is always right' has clearly never been in business before.

No, it's the only way it will work.
The coach is appointed to get results. If he doesn't he walks. Like happened this year.
The players played rubbish yet do you see any of them taking responsibility? No. Or a pay cut? No.
Are the team going to have a vote on what training they do this week?
No.
They are paid a salary, they do a job.
They don't sit at the board table.

Iafeta

Referee
I think you'll find its pretty rare where players don't have a formal power base through a leadership group of some sort. They're not robots, you're better to get them buying into the strategy and getting them to get their team-mates on board than to be undermined behind the coaches back.

Yep, ultimately the coach is accountable to the strategy of the team, but in professional sports I couldn't imagine player power being a significant challenge, or if you work it right opportunity, these days.

jaseg

Juniors
It's like any other business... to be successful you must reconcile management (coaching staff) with the rest of the organisation (players). Implementing any sort of successful strategy requires the correct behaviours from both sides of the fence, pulling together. Both groups have power, even if in the instance of the players (or employees) it's informal. Yawn.

Both sides are at fault. The difference in professional sport? It's WAY easier to remove a coach than make changes to the playing staff (for a variety of reasons, a big one being that the players get paid in the same ballpark or even more than the coach - and there's many of them).

f**k me, this is becoming more and more like a business lecture.

Micistm

Bench
i wouldn't think Wayne Bennett would have any issues with player power...

There were howls of protest when Bennett sacked the Great King Wally...until the Broncos won the comp, then won again. Greame Lowe talked about this very thing himself on the old video 'Master Coach', he didn't muck about or have any time for player power.

Micistm

Bench
No, it's the only way it will work.
The coach is appointed to get results. If he doesn't he walks. Like happened this year.
The players played rubbish yet do you see any of them taking responsibility? No. Or a pay cut? No.
Are the team going to have a vote on what training they do this week?
No.
They are paid a salary, they do a job.
They don't sit at the board table.

could not agree more. I do not accept that all the issues of the Warriors this year is coach and coach alone, the attitude of the team is shocking. Would you get away with poor performance at work by saying you don't like the boss?
I get the very strong feeling Michael Luck was rather disgusted with the attitude of his team mates as well, judging by his last few interviews on the radio.

Micistm

Bench
It's like any other business... to be successful you must reconcile management (coaching staff) with the rest of the organisation (players). Implementing any sort of successful strategy requires the correct behaviours from both sides of the fence, pulling together. Both groups have power, even if in the instance of the players (or employees) it's informal. Yawn.

Both sides are at fault. The difference in professional sport? It's WAY easier to remove a coach than make changes to the playing staff (for a variety of reasons, a big one being that the players get paid in the same ballpark or even more than the coach - and there's many of them).

f**k me, this is becoming more and more like a business lecture.

But well said though; there have been faults from coach, management, and players. So far, the coach has gone- and like or dislike him, did so with class. Have yet to see anyone else take responsibility for the season. Not the token 'we're all looking to see where we could have gone better' bullshit- Real manning up.
What the players have said so far has frankly just left me cold, and tbh made them sound like overpampered wusses- which is how they played.
Scurrah I never liked so no change there!:lol:

Micistm

Bench
Probably unfair to expect Iro to turn around the team for 2 games. The season was a write off when he took the wheel.

True...but by the same token there was not the slightest change in attitude, by players who claim to want Iro. Too late to plug for him after season end, should've given their all to show the problems were with their coach. They didn't do that, and didn't look interested in finishing with any sort of effort for fans, club etc.
You didn't need a win, just a clear sign of effort. There wasn't one.

TheDMC

Bench
I think a playing group has the right to an increased say in some decision making if they have earned it - ie via a period of sustained success where a strong, mature leadership group has emerged. I imagine Manly and Melbourne lead players may have this. The warriors are a bunch of young immature fools for the most part. They need a tough take no shit directive ordering coach.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i think he'd probably go ok. he was the guy that built the great leeds team that bluey came in and destroyed.

JoeD

First Grade
Here's the thing - somebody mentioned Bennet dumping Lewis, then they won a comp. For all this talk of player power and bad attitude from the players - not one got dropped. What does that tell you?

ozbash

Referee
Here's the thing - somebody mentioned Bennet dumping Lewis, then they won a comp. For all this talk of player power and bad attitude from the players - not one got dropped. What does that tell you?

Inu did, from a great height as well.

There were a few, Johnson,Taia'a, Sharkie who went to the Vulcans for a week to "find some form".

Latest posts