What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Meth

Staff member
Here's the thing - somebody mentioned Bennet dumping Lewis, then they won a comp. For all this talk of player power and bad attitude from the players - not one got dropped. What does that tell you?

It sounds to me like the tail wagged the dog this year at the club.

Coaches like Bennett, or Hasler, or Bellamy don't seem to have a problem with 'player power', (even though they have very notable players on their roster). That's because they don't suffer fools lightly and they earn the players respect.

Meth

Staff member
Inu did, from a great height as well.

There were a few, Johnson,Taia'a, Sharkie who went to the Vulcans for a week to "find some form".

Iro dropped Johnson. I can't remember Bluey dropping him.

Brown played every game this season, despite being crap and apparently insubordinate.

Ta'ai has always been a fringe first grader and he was a makeshift prop this year.

JoeD

First Grade
Inu was never first choice so I wouldn't call him dropped either.

they earn the players respect.
earn being the operative word. If Dessy came out next year and said - shorter training, don't worry about defence and lets throw the ball around some more - players would go along with it (for a longer time anyway, eventually there would be a revolt)

Meth

Staff member
If Dessy came out next year and said - shorter training, don't worry about defence and lets throw the ball around some more - players would go along with it

But he wouldn't.

Rich102

Staff member
Tony Veitch reckons Bellamy talks have stalled through him wanting too much coin...

So much for the talk of "getting the best coach available". Now it's going to be the best coach we can afford. Step up Tony Iro - goodbye Warriors.

JoeD

First Grade
IF true, pretty standard negotiating and probably quite good news. If all their haggling over is money then i'd say its nearly as good as done. Big IF though . . .

ramraider275

Juniors
Tony Veitch reckons Bellamy talks have stalled through him wanting too much coin...

Can see this happening when CB was first mentioned as our coach. He's not coming alone, he'll have a few support staff that would follow him and IMO there contract's would be a sticking point e.g. relocation costs, new schools for kids, etc. Also I wonder if he is haggling over the bonuses in his contract if he makes top 8, semi's, GF. These negotiations can get drawn out.

We do have leverage with Sheens in the picture and maybe the club see's a credible 2nd option since the Tigers situation changes every week.

Illiterate

Juniors
I would rather Brian smith then sheens. If management won't spend all the money in the salary cap I can't see them splurging on a coach like cb.

jamaman

Juniors

Why would he want to leave a team with the 'best spine' playing...
Bellamy is just playing up the best deal to stay with Melbourne

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why would he want to leave a team with the 'best spine' playing...
Bellamy is just playing up the best deal to stay with Melbourne

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

Not that I believe Tony Veitch. How is anyone going to have sources when anyone who isn't a convicted crook himself like Hugh McGahan have no time for him?

Blair

Coach
Does Scurrah get to survive if he pulls off the Bellamy coup? I'd think so, shame though.

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Fox last night showed a replay of the '08 semi against the roosters, was interesting to see how the team has evolved. Back in those days it was all about set plays to Manu's wing 10-20 m out (attacking to our strengths) would love the new coach whoever it ends up being to bring these sort of plays back doesn't have to be directed to manu, could even set up Hurrell without dumping him the ball and expecting to bust through 4 guys.

Hopefully leuleuai brings some structure n coach brings some set moves. Bring on the new season! One can only hope!

shiznit

Coach
interesting hearing Craig Bellamy on the triple M rush hour yesterday...when asked he stuk to the official line of waiting until after the season to decide on what he's doing...

BUT... he did mumble his manager has been speaking to some clubs... and interestingly... they did ask him about the length of his time at Melbourne and he did admit that he's been starting to think about if the players and him need a bit of a change.

from what i picked up it sounded like he was giving it some serious thought.

on a side note... Dan told Bellamy that he needs to make sure that the contract is in Australian Dollars... because apparently steve prices massive first contract was in NZ $$.

i had never heard that before... :lol:

MKEB...

Staff member
Just a thought, If you were Tim Sheens or Brian Smith; would you really want the warriors gig knowing that you would only be second choice if Bellamy turns it down?

Micistm

Bench
Just a thought, If you were Tim Sheens or Brian Smith; would you really want the warriors gig knowing that you would only be second choice if Bellamy turns it down?

I reckon, the same as you'd take a decent paying job doing something you liked knowing full well their first choice didn't come off. You'd take it, determined to prove the point you should've been first choice in the first place:)

Latest posts