What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

ozbash

Referee
The gospel according to Veitchy; Sheens is committing to the Tigers for 2 more years and Belly wants way too much money.

Who does that leave, perhaps our coach will still be a kiwi ?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The gospel according to Veitchy; Sheens is committing to the Tigers for 2 more years and Belly wants way too much money.

As I've said previously, I'll believe it when it's a better source than him.

Rich102

Staff member
So "whatever it takes" has become "what we think is reasonable".

Fair enough. I will spend whatever it takes to be a Warriors official supporter next year. I will wait for their offer with interest.

LeagueNut

First Grade
So who's taking charge of training now until we get the new coach sorted? Apparently some clubs no longer in the finals are continuing to train right up to the GF. Or has everyone just started an extended holiday?

jamaman

Juniors

Only leaves Kearney! ...I wonder if the players new that after Bluey left?

Drzoidberg

Juniors
If kearneys the coach next year it means Matty Johns was right.........so does that mean 'Most' should take more notice of MMM?

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...coach-tim-sheens/story-e6frexnr-1226474474470

NZ Warriors to interview Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens

NEW Zealand are expected to up their chase for Tim Sheens this weekend, with Warriors boss Wayne Scurrah heading to Sydney to interview the Wests Tigers coach.

The development comes as Tigers stalwarts Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan yesterday learned their future at the club could be uncertain next season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Heighington has attracted interest from several rival outfits for 2013 and could be released from the final year of his contract as the Tigers seek to beef up their pack.

Whether Sheens returns to Concord remains unclear, given that the Warriors have made the four-time premiership winner their No.1 choice.

While David Kidwell and Tony Iro have been considered, it's understood the Warriors want to appoint an experienced operator to rebuild confidence after this year's disastrous finish.

Sheens also has support from Warriors legend Ruben Wiki, whom he debuted at Canberra two decades ago, and also boasts a proven record of developing Polynesian and Maori juniors.

Scurrah last night confirmed he'd be in Sydney to watch the Warriors' Toyota Cup semi-final against the Roosters at ANZ Stadium tonight.

When asked repeatedly about whether a meeting with Sheens was also on his itinerary, Scurrah replied: "I'm not going to appoint a coach through the media. Any meetings we have are confidential."

The Tigers cannot afford to pay out the final two years of Sheens' contract, but would be willing to release him to take the team in a new direction after a decade at the helm. Club insiders said Peter Gentle - a former Tigers assistant coach now at Hull FC - would be one of the front-runners to take the job.
Still not sure about Sheens, but I'd definitely sign Beau Ryan.

Micistm

Bench
I deffo do not want a Kiwi coach. There just seems too much casual Matey stuff like that, and we're laid back enough as it is. They need a rocket up 'em, a job for one of the boys won't do that IMO

SilentOne

Juniors
Don't really believe anything that's being mentioned in the media lately, one day they say Sheens has turned the warriors down and the next he's being interviewed. :?

Bellamy wont say yay or nay until after the finals series so we wait.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If kearneys the coach next year it means Matty Johns was right.........so does that mean 'Most' should take more notice of MMM?

What's the old saying about even a broken clock is right twice a day? We all know the logic was Kearney was sacked, our coach was crap, Kearney is a Kiwi...boom. Rumour sorted.

Rich102

Staff member
"Whether Sheens returns to Concord remains unclear, given that the Warriors have made the four-time premiership winner their No.1 choice."

So now Bellamy is not the front runner?

Iafeta

Referee
Don't really believe anything that's being mentioned in the media lately, one day they say Sheens has turned the warriors down and the next he's being interviewed. :?

Bellamy wont say yay or nay until after the finals series so we wait.

I think this post sums up the situation very well. I don't really see any direct quotes from anyone involved in negotiations or the club to give any indication as to what is happening, bar a comment a few weeks ago from Wayne Scurrah where he said Craig Bellamy is the best coach in the game. Otherwise, even this article is heresay driven by needing to sell papers and not getting anything of substance from the club - I mean, suggesting Sheens is a high priority due to supposed thoughts of a bloke who played under him 20 years ago is clutching at straws in my opinion.

If I was Scurrah, I would be interviewing Sheens as well I'd suggest, and a few others. The number one prospect has to be Bellamy, but he simply may be unattainable now or in 2014, so we need proven back ups. I'm not sure Sheens is that man in the modern game however.