What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Warmess

Juniors
Imo if Sheens was going to be our coach he'd already be signed up. We've had plenty of time to sort things out with the Tigers to get him over here. The only hitch to this could be the timing of Potter going back to Aus with our potential talks with Sheens. Perhaps the Tigers don't want to be yet another club who sacks their coach and lets media speculation run rampant, maybe they want to get everything all squared off in one hit. Let Sheens go and at the same time announce Potter as the next coach.

But yeah tbh I don't see it happening. I don't think we'll find out anything until after the Storm are knocked out.

super_coach

First Grade
Sheens would be a disastrous choice for the Warriors. He picks what he thinks is the best 17 in the club and barring injury they WILL be picked every week, form dosnt matter. When injuries strike, he will shift five players out of their positions to cover one injury.
The Warriors need a hard man that demands a high level of performance week in and week out.

From a Tigers point of view I would love to see him leave but I have a soft spot for the Warriors and would hate to see him destroy your club. I would go with Kearney, he is a lot better coach than his spell at Parra would suggest

Iafeta

Referee
There's an article on the Herald's online site pushing the case of Tony Iro suggesting a link between clubs employing assistant coaches this year and being successful. In Toovey's case, he had a settled, world class squad, at St George Illawarra the assistant coach didn't go quite so well, at Parramatta they employed a former assistant coach from another club and he didn't last the year, Shane Flanagan obviously is an exception and did a very good job to turn about Cronulla. My objection to Tony Iro is that he would have been part of the 'strategising' to put together the pre-season that ultimately attempted to destroy everything Ivan Cleary put in place. The article I saw that suggested that McClennan systematically wanted to change everything Cleary had in place is frightening stuff. When you've got three grades in the grand final, and you're the new head coach, blind Freddie would be able to tell you that you make minor adjustments and keep hold of those principles that make the club and its culture successful. I think there is a massive onus on the assistant coach to ensure common sense happens, Iro should have been ensuring McClennan was talked out of the changes he instigated. The fact he didn't speaks poorly of Iro's ability not to be a yes man.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Big article this morning about Sheens cleaning out some of the Tigers favourites before next season so hard to believe he is getting the punt from there

Told Heighington his services won't be required after next season so apparently he is trying to get out ASAP, and they are also trying to offload Beau Ryan

Beau would be a great buy for the Warriors but can't see him leaving Sydney where his media opportunities are

Warmess

Juniors
Yeah that article also makes me thing Sheens will stay put, although what he's doing should mean he gets punted. Getting right of Heighington and Ryan? Seriously? Cutting them, along with Gibbs and Fifita in the last two seasons is ripping the heart out of the club. How Heighno is getting the ass while Blair gets to stay is beyond me, and I certainly don't want that kind of shit going on at the Warriors.

If Sheens doesn't produce next season he's gonna get punted and the Tigers are gonna be in a woeful position. Do we really want Sheens and Scurrah being the most influential at the club? Yeesh...

Rambo1'

Juniors
If Tim Sheens ends up coaching the Warriors next season I am not going to be happy. The guy must be the most over rated coach in the NRL. When the Tigers won in '05 im pretty sure that was more good luck than good coaching. And the Canberra side he won premerships with... shit. Thats like Bluey coaching that Leeds side to a premership. I couldve coached that side

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
There's an article on the Herald's online site pushing the case of Tony Iro suggesting a link between clubs employing assistant coaches this year and being successful. In Toovey's case, he had a settled, world class squad, at St George Illawarra the assistant coach didn't go quite so well, at Parramatta they employed a former assistant coach from another club and he didn't last the year, Shane Flanagan obviously is an exception and did a very good job to turn about Cronulla. My objection to Tony Iro is that he would have been part of the 'strategising' to put together the pre-season that ultimately attempted to destroy everything Ivan Cleary put in place. The article I saw that suggested that McClennan systematically wanted to change everything Cleary had in place is frightening stuff. When you've got three grades in the grand final, and you're the new head coach, blind Freddie would be able to tell you that you make minor adjustments and keep hold of those principles that make the club and its culture successful. I think there is a massive onus on the assistant coach to ensure common sense happens, Iro should have been ensuring McClennan was talked out of the changes he instigated. The fact he didn't speaks poorly of Iro's ability not to be a yes man.

Yes, but whose to say Iro didn't give Brian all the good advice in the world but Bluey just ignored it? The onus is on the assistant to make sure the chief has good advice, but the onus on making it happen (listening to the advice and acting on it) is squarely on the chief decision maker, ie coach. Unless you know the internal dynamics, drawing a long bow to blame Iro.

ramraider275

Juniors
Can't see Sheens coming next season, if reports are true he's having another clean out of players at the Tigers. The Tigers management would be mad to let Sheens show players the door if he's out the door himself

Mike0070

Juniors
The last thing the warriors need is a guy the "players" want put in, after what they coffed up this season the players have absolutley no right to make any recommendations.

Bellamy , sheens / potter or hagan - kearney if we get desperate.

shiznit

Coach
i really don't think anything is gonna happen until the storm are eliminated.

im guessing mid october will be when the Warriors announce the new coach.

the longer the wait the higher the chance it will be Bellamy. The Warriors wouldn't delay there pre-season plans unless they feel they are a genuine chance of getting they're main target.

ozbash

Referee
i really don't think anything is gonna happen until the storm are eliminated.

im guessing mid october will be when the Warriors announce the new coach.

the longer the wait the higher the chance it will be Bellamy. The Warriors wouldn't delay there pre-season plans unless they feel they are a genuine chance of getting they're main target.

Mid October ?

Scurrah said the end of this month.

Diesel

Referee
So is Iro still assistant coach? And is Kearney still not employed by the Warriors, yet lives in NZ because of the Kiwis gig?

Last edited:

Mike0070

Juniors
Who knows , its an absolute lottery at the moment.

One thing is for sure , who ever takes the reigns next year will only have 6 rounds to prove themselves before we start this thread again.

shiznit

Coach
Mid October ?

Scurrah said the end of this month.
yeah ive heard him say the end of the month also...

but if they truly are going after Bellamy they wont be getting any answer until early October at the earliest.

and lets be honest... if it was anyone other than him you would expect the Warriors to have named them already.

if its named late than so be it... a quality coach can start late.

Des Hasler announced he was going to the dogs for 2013 in early October and ended up taking over the dogs for 2012 in mid November. the late start doesn't seem to have affected the dogs too much.

ozbash

Referee
Beau Ryan and Heighington are Sharks bound.
Tim Sheens is apparently weilding big changes for next season...

hitro

Juniors
Daily Telegraph is reporting Tim Sheens could be sacked today, especially if Warriors are going to sign him.
I think it's going to happen.