What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

hitro

Juniors
a.I think the Warriors management will want him because they can trumpet from the roof that he's the current Kangaroo coach and 3 time comp winner, also better for them than a maybe Bellamy 2014 ( a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...)
b.Auckland is an improvement on Canberra surely

I personally would be happy with him, you could say Bellamy is better but do we really want to be cheating wrestling purple robots? Warriors always had the wood on them too in recent seasons

Sheens is said hes reluctant to move to NZ, mite mean hes wanting more $$$ not sure. Tigers board are hoping the Warriors take him as they wont have to pay out much. Sheens could rake in the cash if they sack him. Id have him

Rich102

Staff member
As I see it the new coach has to fulfill a number of roles:

1. Put into place a modern coaching group including assistant coaches, trainers, conditioners, medical support, analystists etc. and attract top quality support in areas where we lack these.

2. Head up, or at least put into place, the new delevopment center and coordinate that into the Warrior's network.

3. Attract quality players to the club.

4. Actually coach the team.

As I see it of the current coaches being considered only CB can fulfill all these functions. Top players will want to play under CB. Support staff will want to learn under him.
I don't think TS will attract either the players or supports. (Particularly the players if rumours are true.)
Of the others mentioned I don't think any will have the profile necessary to attract the players we want.
It will be false economy if the club balk at CB. Anything less than his appointment will be considered by many as a sign of talk over substance - we want the best but won't pay for the best.
A big challange for the club; get it right and they could really take off, get it wrong again and it will set them, and the game, back quite a long way.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The reports of Sheens leaving have to be a joke

Seriously, what club would let him clear out a number of their best players and fan favourites to then punt him the same week.

He will be at the Tigers the next year on his last chance I would imagine

Warmess

Juniors
Yeah, I have a hard time believeing he'll be punted. He'll have one last crack at it, and if he fails they'll have the money to give him the ass. Plus, with all that has gone down over there in the last couple of days, I'd be incredibly surprised if we were stupid enough to sign him.

Rich102

Staff member
Seems entirely plausible to me.
Club wants to get rid rid of the coach & some players.
Tell the coach; you fire these guys and we will pay you out.
Club wins. Fans blame the club; club says the coach did it.

Time will tell.

Skinner

Coach

Seriously, what club would let him clear out a number of their best players and fan favourites to then punt him the same week.

On the nail BH, I think.

WarriorDefence

Juniors

Unless the club were happy to off load Ryan and heighington- if that was the case it would work out perfect for them. They get to punt a couple of fan favs without copping any stick- coz they can lay the blame on sheens. At the same time getting sheens more off side with the fans giving the tigers board more amo to dump him.
End result is the tigers get a good reason to punt a coach that a lot of them didn't want there and they also free up some cap space without copping it from the fans

Micistm

Bench
Meh all speculation, time to just wait and see I think. So many rumours flying, I think if Sheens was moving we'd know it by now seeing their season has ended...but never say never.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Get excited Warriors fans. Expect that should Johnson get injured, Locke will go to Hooker, Friend to 5/8, mannering to hooker, Matulino to fullback and a halfback on the bench. The man is a senile old spastic and if we sack him tonight there'll be a horde of tigers fans willing to drive the prick to the airport

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Get excited Warriors fans. Expect that should Johnson get injured, Locke will go to Hooker, Friend to 5/8, mannering to hooker, Matulino to fullback and a halfback on the bench. The man is a senile old spastic and if we sack him tonight there'll be a horde of tigers fans willing to drive the prick to the airport

I didn't see backrower to centre anywhere in that sentence. Quick! Sign him up!

TheDMC

Bench
What do you guys think of Jason Taylor as a coach?

He was an exceptionally dedicated player, who got every ounce out of his ability and his coaching career seemed to be going really well until he got punched in the head.

Kinda surprised he hasn't been discussed much on this thread.

Still youngish, but as a recent ex-player and quite experienced coach, I reckon he could be worth a nudge.