What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

ozbash

Referee
If Sheens got the gig, he'd be our first real fulltime coach ?
Not an assistant making the step up...

Warmess

Juniors
I'm not defending the guy, cause I don't particularly want to see him here, but Sheens isn't to blame for the whole debacle going on at the Tigers right now. Ryan said his exit is due to the Tigers board not drawing up the deal they had made so he was left with no choice. Not Sheens' fault at all. There's more going on over there than just what Sheens has his hand in.

That said, I don't think Sheens is what we need. There's the potential he'll be alright for us, maybe even really good for us, but I definitely feel he's past his use by date. Would prefer him as coaching director with Morgan as head coach. Not gonna happen though.

Rich102

Staff member
I'm not defending the guy, cause I don't particularly want to see him here, but Sheens isn't to blame for the whole debacle going on at the Tigers right now. Ryan said his exit is due to the Tigers board not drawing up the deal they had made so he was left with no choice. Not Sheens' fault at all. There's more going on over there than just what Sheens has his hand in.

That said, I don't think Sheens is what we need. There's the potential he'll be alright for us, maybe even really good for us, but I definitely feel he's past his use by date. Would prefer him as coaching director with Morgan as head coach. Not gonna happen though.

Why do you think that?

Akkerz

Juniors
Time to find a place of quiet enjoyment for Mr Sheens, he's earned a rest & definately doesn't need the stress of a full-on move to NZ.

One question I have for the old Count :
If you had not been pushed from the Tigers Tim would you have opted for the Warriors ?
If the answer is no, do us all a favour & stay away.

Warmess

Juniors
Why do you think that?

I just don't think Sheens would take up a coaching director gig in the first place, let alone in NZ. If it does happen, that'd probably be the second best deal to just straight up getting Bellamy, but yeah, I don't see it happening.

ozbash

Referee
Radio news this morning said Sheens had thrown his hat in the ring well before Bluey got the heave...

Evenflow

Bench
CRAIG Bellamy has given the strongest indication yet that he will stay on as coach of the Melbourne Storm - with the club poised to offer him $1 million a season to ensure he stays. Bellamy is off-contract at the end of 2013, but talks to extend his contract are sure to crank up after Sunday's grand final against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

In a candid interview to start grand final week, the 52-year-old also revealed:- HIS next contract is likely to be his last before he retires, meaning money would be a factor;
- HE would find it almost impossible to coach against Storm superstars Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk; and
- PROVING he could successfully coach at another club, like mentor Wayne Bennett, will not be a factor in his contract decision.

"I've got no great desire to be leaving here, for whatever reason," Bellamy said yesterday. "I've got no desire to leave, because it's a good club, I'm happy, and they're a really good bunch of players. "Someone in the club asked me a couple of months ago if I felt the need to go somewhere else to prove myself. I don't. "People have their opinions on what I've done and what I haven't done. I don't need to change anyone's opinion of me." Bellamy has been heavily linked to other NRL clubs, including the Warriors, Dragons and Roosters.

During the Storm's five-match losing streak post-Origin, Bellamy was believed to be doubting whether he should stay. But discussions with chairman Stephen Rue and the success of the Storm in recent weeks means he is leaning towards staying. Last month the Warriors were said to be keen to pay him $4 million over three years to coach them.

It is understood the Storm are ready to pay him handsomely to stay.The club is mindful that several key players have clauses in their contracts that allow them to walk away if Bellamy moves on as coach. Storm owners News Limited also know that Bellamy would be fundamental to any sale of the club in the next few years.

Asked why he would leave the Storm, Bellamy replied: "You're getting older. People say it's not about the money. It might not be at the top of the list, but it's probably second. It's the same for players. "I don't know how much longer I will go on, but I won't be going another 10 years, or even five. You want to do the best you can; that's how I am thinking. The next contract will be my last."

Bellamy said it would be difficult to coach against the "big three" of Smith, Slater and Cronk - something he found hard during his stint as NSW coach. Smith said the coach's concerns that his methods were wearing thin because he had coached the senior players for so long were unfounded.

"If Bellyache wanted to go to another club, it would be a sad day for everyone," the captain said. "I'd be definitely disappointed that he was moving on."But we wouldn't hold anything against him. Hopefully that day doesn't come. I'm not too sure what Craig's thinking at the moment. I hope he wants to stay, but if he wants to move on all the best to him."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ch-craig-bellamy/story-e6frexnr-1226480642288

hitro

Juniors
Sheens as coaching director and Morgan as coach sounds like a great solution, that surely is achievable. They're both available right? Just need to settle the $. Tim could probably even just commute from Sydney for three days a week or something, and play a bit of lawn bowls the other days...

maddest_kiwi

Juniors
Sheens as coaching director and Morgan as coach sounds like a great solution, that surely is achievable. They're both available right? Just need to settle the $. Tim could probably even just commute from Sydney for three days a week or something, and play a bit of lawn bowls the other days...

Yip, I could tollerate that...
Blake Ayshford for centre anybody???

"Blake Ayshford had also been told he was free to find another club"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-to-tigers-20120924-26hj8.html#ixzz27QfWaRE6

Akkerz

Juniors
Prefer Morgan to Sheens tbh. Young enough to remember what it is to be a player & old enough to command some respect.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Well apparently Sheens is now confirmed to stay with the Tigers !! Can't keep up with this one, proves once again to ignore the crap journos write

Scott

Bench
If I had to put my house on anyone...... Kidwell is the bloke i'd be betting on!

I'd prefer Morgan though.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If I had to put my house on anyone...... Kidwell is the bloke i'd be betting on!

I'd prefer Morgan though.

Really? Scurrah came out early in the piece in the wake of Bluey's resignation/axing and said Kidwell was not a candidate. Would be an embarrassing U-turn.