What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Rich102

Staff member
Where is the article that rules Morgan out?

"Raiders assistant coach Justin Morgan is shaping up as a frontrunner for the Warriors head coaching role. Raiders assistant coach Justin Morgan is shaping up as a frontrunner for the Warriors head coaching role after being linked to an interview with the Auckland-based franchise within the next week.
The Canberra Times reported today that the Warriors originally contacted Morgan by phone to gauge his interest in the role but has since been invited to Auckland for a face-to-face interview.
Morgan and Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah did not want to comment when contacted by The Times yesterday.
Morgan shares a number of similarities with McLennan's predecessor Ivan Cleary - as both played at the Warriors during their 2002 campaign, which resulted in the club's first ever Grand Final appearance against the Roosters.
Morgan then went on to coach Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers from 2005 to 2011, before moving to Canberra to take a two-year contract with the Raiders as assistant to head coach David Furner.

Meanwhile Sydney radio station Triple M has added to the speculation with a report that Tim Sheens could be asked to leave his position as head coach of the Wests igers as early as today, and likely take up a role with the Warriors.
"Tim Sheens has to face the (Wests Tigers) board tonight and there are strong rumours that by tomorrow he won't be the coach of the Wests Tigers and he'll be going to the New Zealand Warriors," said NRL commentator Matty Johns.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=10835332

Fast Eddie

First Grade
None of these reports really have a clue, just chucking names out there and changing them everyday.

maddest_kiwi

Juniors
According to this article the only two candidates for the Warriors job are Kidwell and Sheens. Both Kearney and Morgan have withdrawn their applications.

Where the hell does a substandard journalist (Ben Stanley) come up with the 'inside word' ??? :crazy:

"with long-touted targets Justin Morgan and Stephen Kearney withdrawing from the race in the past 24 hours"

BS as far as I'm concerned. The rumor mill is working overtime again.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Where the hell does a substandard journalist (Ben Stanley) come up with the 'inside word' ??? :crazy:

"with long-touted targets Justin Morgan and Stephen Kearney withdrawing from the race in the past 24 hours"

BS as far as I'm concerned. The rumor mill is working overtime again.

If you're on twitter, go to The Mole's page. That'll tell you all you need to know about where Ben Stanley is getting his 'inside word'. Pretty much all he's written has been hinted at on there.

There's no point trying to learn anything from media reports. We'll know when we know - we're only being led by guess work and rumour.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Meanwhile Sydney radio station Triple M has added to the speculation with a report that Tim Sheens could be asked to leave his position as head coach of the Wests igers as early as today, and likely take up a role with the Warriors.
"Tim Sheens has to face the (Wests Tigers) board tonight and there are strong rumours that by tomorrow he won't be the coach of the Wests Tigers and he'll be going to the New Zealand Warriors," said NRL commentator Matty Johns.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=10835332

This is the same moron who told us Kearney was about to take over from Bluey. Nice guesswork Matty. There's no investigative section to media anymore, it's all 'sources', rumour, guess work and innuendo. I don't know why anyone bothers reading it.

And as for Ben Stanley, I cut him loose after he gave Bill Tupou a 6.5 or a 7 for the season, or whatever it was.

Diesel

Referee
What's the latest in NZ? In Oz they say Sheens, then not Sheens, then Sheens wants to come, then he doesn't. Any thoughts if Morgan is still in the frame?

Rich102

Staff member
No decision till Monday. Till then your guess is as good as ours.
A bit of money on Kidwell though.

maddest_kiwi

Juniors
Warriors players have told the club who they want as coach - unequivocally.
"Tony Iro coming in, I love the guy," said Feleti Mateo. "I'd love for him to take over as head coach. It's obviously out of our hands but I think all the players have voiced their opinion on the situation. We're just sitting around waiting to see what happens.
“We've done some season reviews and that with the CEO and the coaches and stuff ... I think they know who we want and what we want. It's good because most clubs don't really give you that opportunity to voice what you want. To their credit, they're listening to the players and I hope they can come to a decision that will make everyone happy."
Iro has the support of the players, says Mateo, "100 per cent".
"I think he's a guy that all the boys would play for. He knows the game really well. He's an ex-player so he knows how to get the boys up emotionally too. I've said it lots of times – as far as coaching's concerned I think he ticks all the boxes so it will be nice to see him get the job.”

www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-...ask-dodging-sheens-payout-20120927-26md0.html

Please league gods don't buy into this...

Warmess

Juniors
I would put a large chunk of cash on it being Kidwell. The question for me now becomes 'who will be the director of football". Maybe that's why theyve been looking at Elliot? Wishful thinking perhaps? In any case, it'll all be over soon.

Abdullah

Juniors
Warriors players have told the club who they want as coach - unequivocally.
"Tony Iro coming in, I love the guy," said Feleti Mateo. "I'd love for him to take over as head coach. It's obviously out of our hands but I think all the players have voiced their opinion on the situation. We're just sitting around waiting to see what happens.
?We've done some season reviews and that with the CEO and the coaches and stuff ... I think they know who we want and what we want. It's good because most clubs don't really give you that opportunity to voice what you want. To their credit, they're listening to the players and I hope they can come to a decision that will make everyone happy."
Iro has the support of the players, says Mateo, "100 per cent".
"I think he's a guy that all the boys would play for. He knows the game really well. He's an ex-player so he knows how to get the boys up emotionally too. I've said it lots of times ? as far as coaching's concerned I think he ticks all the boxes so it will be nice to see him get the job.?

www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-...ask-dodging-sheens-payout-20120927-26md0.html

Please league gods don't buy into this...

...sound like Mateo want "yes boy" for coach...no good...Iro flunk badly like his teacher and master ballhead bluey

Akkerz

Juniors
I hope they are not implying that if the coach isn't their popular choice then next season will be a repeat of 2012.

After this year Mateo & his mates are lucky to still be on contract.

hitro

Juniors
Mateo was going off this season one of our only good players.
I saw him at Les Mills today playing basketball by himself, I was really tempted to go over and interrogate him about the coach situation etc but decided to just leave him alone.
Loved his 20 min at stand off against Canberra, one of the few times the team have looked organised in 2012

Latest posts