What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Iafeta

Referee
To me, if they're giving up on Bellamy, it suggests that those in senior role such as Scurrah, Glenn and Watson, are looking at this too much in a 'business' capacity, IE short term bottom line. I wonder whether if they're reviewing the economic values Bellamy would offer - surely top players would be signable all of a sudden, that's worth dollars... membership would be up, that's worth dollars...

I think Kidwell will do a very good job TBPH, but he doesn't offer those extra intangibles. They need to ensure the are making every effort to get Bellamy here. If they aren't, to me it essentially suggests they are accepting of the fact they'll never recruit a top of the line coach to the club. And they can talk about all the other things they are going to give their club as much as the next man, but if you can't include the right personnel (top coaches, top players), then these are often the differences between between a regular finals contender and a regular top 2 club. The things the club are lacking right is a top of the line coach and top of the line training facilities. Both need to be resolved immediately, sometimes you have to spend money to make money. And I'm confident with Bellamy the club would get a big payback from their investment.

Iafeta

Referee
I think the club can only improve on this year so the kidwell - elliot combo will go down as a sucess. Hopefully though the club continues to search for a bellamy type coach.

Recruitment dept needs to be exposed as still short of about 2-3 back up players. We should have targeted more Anzacs returning from super league

I think Dean Bell has largely done a good job with the local talent pool. But I think he has fallen well short in terms of Australian/British recruitment. The more I look at this trip to England it looks to have been nothing short of a junket. I wish they'd stuck that money firmly in their pockets and instead set it aside for Bellamy. It seems clear to me that they're willing to waste money, but on pivotal once in a lifetime decisions, they don't have the balls to get aggressive and announce that their vision is going to be backed up by fair dinkum action.

One Warrior

Bench
Call me deluded, but as far as I'm concerned it isn't over until it's over, I mean what possible reason would they have for not announcing Kidwell & Elliott last week, Grand Final was over.
Negotiations may well still be taking place, Kidwell may come in as caretaker coach for a year. If however it ends up being Kidwell & Elliott I will let my opinion be known.

Iafeta

Referee
I hope you're right. If not, it just suggests the club lacks any seering ambition and the Owen Glenn type statements are just hyperbole.

Skinner

Coach
Call me deluded, but as far as I'm concerned it isn't over until it's over, I mean what possible reason would they have for not announcing Kidwell & Elliott last week, Grand Final was over.
Negotiations may well still be taking place, Kidwell may come in as caretaker coach for a year. If however it ends up being Kidwell & Elliott I will let my opinion be known.

You are right mate, there is nothing official and I ain't heard no fat lady sing yet.

I have no issue with a (strong) caretaker coach for a season and I think Kidwell would certainly knock a few heads.

Diesel

Referee
if money was not an issue they shouldve kept their mouths shut instead of saying were getting the best candidate possible. Now the look bloody stupid. Replacing an untried NRL rookie coach for an untried NRL rookie coach.

Except for Monie, all of our coaches have been NRL rookies so I shouldn't have expected any different

The Club not announcing Mathew Elliot and David Kidwell yet does hold a slim hope for us poaching Craig Bellamy, but don't put all your eggs in the basket as we know we are setting ourselves up for the biggest disappointment and CB just wants to up his price tag at the Storm.

Mick Watson may have been a grub for letting us go over the cap signing Price & Wiki back in 2005 but he got some of our best signings in his era. What has Scurrah got us? I guess he got us Cleary & Luck but he has undone this all by making a mess of our coaching situation.

Someone just announce something please

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Brent Tate, Lilyman/Mateo are probably the biggest overseas signings. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

ozbash

Referee
Brent Tate, Lilyman/Mateo are probably the biggest overseas signings. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

Inu

I wouldnt call Lillyman a big signing, he was having trouble making the Cowboys first grade side. Our biggest signings, without doubt would be Price and Wiki.

Micistm

Bench
Mannering, captain and coach. Can't believe how long this is taking. If it was an "Easy" recruit you'd expect everything would be completed. Maybe clutching here but the only I figure that could cause negotiations to go so long is Bellamy. That, or Scurrah is completely incompetent.

Yes, and yes.

It's time to leave the Mt Smart Big Brother house....Wayne

hitro

Juniors
the delay must mean they're holding out for Bellamy or Sheens, probably being stringed along for that guys advantage while he plays his hand with his existing club

TheDMC

Bench
the delay must mean they're holding out for Bellamy or Sheens, probably being stringed along for that guys advantage while he plays his hand with his existing club

Yup, most likely scenario, but you never know...

They were big gambles not big signings imo.

Tate being injury prone.
Lillyman being invisible and a fringe origin player at best.
Mateo up and down form.

When we signed Price & Wiki we saw the club go forward both on and off the field. The turn around was amazing. This influence alone makes these two our biggest signings. Ill mention Kevin Campion too as we all know what his influence brought to us as a club.

Rich102

Staff member
PREMIERSHIP coach Craig Bellamy will meet his manager, John Fordham, this week in the first step towards deciding whether his job at Melbourne is done.
Bellamy is off contract at the Storm at the end of next year, but such is his lure, he has even been the subject of speculation he could move elsewhere next year.
That seemed to be only fuelled by the Storm's premiership win against the Bulldogs, with some believing that, after 10 seasons as head coach of the club, he had nothing left to achieve.
Melbourne chief executive Ron Gauci was adamant that Bellamy would be coaching the Storm next season, appearing to end any prospect of the Warriors doing what the Bulldogs did last year with Des Hasler - enticing the premiership-winning coach away from his incumbent club.
Gauci's belief will be backed up by the likelihood that the Warriors will appoint Bellamy's assistant, David Kidwell, as the club's replacement for Brian McClennan this week, with Matthew Elliott set to take on a role alongside him.
But Bellamy's future after next year is still uncertain. It remains unclear whether the Warriors plan to offer Kidwell a one-year contract in order to make their pitch for Bellamy, or - like the Roosters did with Trent Robinson - appoint an untried coach longer term.
Bellamy will travel to Europe later this week with the Storm's general manager of football operations, Frank Ponissi, on a fact-finding mission, visiting rugby union and football clubs in England, France and Belgium.
Before he does, he will sit down with Fordham to begin to map out his future.
''He had a pretty busy week last week,'' Fordham said. ''Quite rightly, I left him to enjoy the victory, but we're intending to catch up this week. First and foremost, I need to have a discussion with Craig, and we can take it from there. Melbourne are comfortable with the fact that we've had no formal discussions with them just yet. But Craig and I will certainly be making contact this week. That'll be step one. I don't know what steps two, three or four will be yet. But that's a starting point.''
Even with Bellamy overseas for a fortnight, Gauci said he could still begin formal negotiations with Fordham. While he has not, and is unlikely to, put a deadline on a decision, he still hoped for a decision ''sooner rather than later''.
''The negotiations will be in the hands of myself and his manager,'' Gauci said. ''When his manager wants to talk, we'll be ready. There's no real urgency on our part. One thing I can say is he's not going anywhere for 2013.''
Wests Tigers have also clouded the coaching landscape, having sacked Tim Sheens.
Another Melbourne assistant, Kevin Walters, has been linked with that job, along with Nathan Brown, Matt Parish, Mick Potter and Steve Georgallis.
The Tigers still need to finalise whether Sheens, in Townsville with the Australian squad this week, will accept another position with the club, which could impact on their appointment. Yesterday, Brisbane confirmed former New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney, who was sacked by Parramatta this year, would join the Broncos as Anthony Griffin's assistant.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...eigh-future-20121007-277ch.html#ixzz28eHsQIBW

Meth

Staff member
The RLW Mole is reporting that its practically a done deal. Elliot/Kidwell

Latest posts