What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Anderson is arguably the best short-term coach in the league. He'd come in, kick some lazy player ass, and have everyone ready for the living hell that will be Bellamy.

Would he really be??
He would the worst imo

He will destroy culture and moral - also guys like him and smith would

Also any of this cutting of dead wood etc - should be done by Bell, as advised from Bellamy
Not any temporary coach.

That would be a disaster.... appoint somebody like smith and elliot - to do all the cutting etc over one year.
Then get bellamy in to take over a club even in a worse situation.

Rich102

Staff member
THE NEW Zealand Warriors pitch for premiership coach Craig Bellamy has fallen short, with the Melbourne Storm mentor closing the door on a multi-million dollar move across the ditch.
Bellamy was the prime target for the Warriors after they were knocked back by David Kidwell, Shane Flanagan and Stephen Kearney.

The Warriors now find themselves in the embarrassing situation of being without a coach despite players scheduled to return to pre-season training in three weeks time.

It’s likely that discarded veterans Tim Sheens and Brian Smith will firm as favourites for the Warriors post with speculation a decision by New Zealand officials could be made within the next 48 hours.

Ultimately, the deal fell over when the Warriors wanted Bellamy to start immediately as head coach in 2013.

Bellamy has made it clear previously that he has no intention of leaving the Storm before his deal is complete at the end of 2013.

He will definitely coach the Storm next season where with the likes of Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk at his disposal, he can continue his dominance in the NRL.

Storm officials have made no secret of their desire to see Bellamy finish his career south of the border, but the premiership winner remains undecided what he will do beyond next season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zealand-warriors/story-e6frexnr-1226492917000

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Finally some actual words from Scurrah (not sure whether this was via an interview or a release of sorts) :

[url]http://tensport.com.au/news/newsarticles/Rugby-League-New-Warriors-coach-within-the-week.htm[/url] said:
An announcement on the new Warriors NRL coach is imminent but club management refuse to respond to speculation that premiership mentor Craig Bellamy will fill the role from 2014.

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said on Wednesday he expected to announce the new man for the vacant role "within the next week".

"I can't name a day but we're not far away," said Scurrah.

The Warriors have been in the hunt for a coach since dumping Brian McClennan in August, two games before the end of the first year of a two-year contract.

Scurrah declined to comment on Australian reports that Melbourne Storm coach Bellamy will join the Warriors in 2014 on a multi-million dollar deal after honouring the final year of his Storm contract in 2013, during which the Auckland club would hire a caretaker coach.

"We have been really careful not to make any comment during the process," said Scurrah.

"We will make all the comment and answer any questions after we make the announcement."

A number of other names have been connected with the Warriors' position, including Bellamy's Melbourne assistant David Kidwell, ex-Penrith and Canberra mentor Matthew Elliott and former Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens.

However Kidwell has withdrew his candidature this week.

News Limited quoted an unnamed friend as saying the former Kiwis enforcer had pulled out of contention because he was concerned the lengthy negotiations meant there wouldn't be enough time to prepare a squad for 2013.

So it's definitely not Bluey and it's definitely not a woman (... he expected to announce the new man for the vacant role...) :lol:

I'm not bothering with any other speculative reports until said announcement finally comes through.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The Daily Telegraph contradicting every other rumour out there. Hardly solid.

According to them we're back to Sheens and Smith. lol.

Lets be honest, outside of the decision makers in the Warriors, nobody has a f**king clue.

Warmess

Juniors
Has there ever been a time where we've gotten so much time in the Aussie media? Gotta fill their pages with something during the offseason I guess...

hitro

Juniors
Yes
It would be good to get DA for next season and keep looking if nothing else is sticking
Certainly a better bet than Elliot Smith or Lowe
Or even Sheens
Just not long term
Jason Taylor would be ok too short term only

jaseg

Juniors
Was trying to not participate in the coach speculation, but have failed.

IF Bellamy comes for 2014, surely the best man (if not Kidwell, or perhaps even considering him) to take 2013 would be Brad Arthur? Former Bellamy assistant, highly rated, and as far as I know out of a job since Stuart brought in his own assistants at Parra. Who better to lay the long term groundwork for 2014 while competing next year?

Iafeta

Referee
THE NEW Zealand Warriors pitch for premiership coach Craig Bellamy has fallen short, with the Melbourne Storm mentor closing the door on a multi-million dollar move across the ditch.
Bellamy was the prime target for the Warriors after they were knocked back by David Kidwell, Shane Flanagan and Stephen Kearney.

The Warriors now find themselves in the embarrassing situation of being without a coach despite players scheduled to return to pre-season training in three weeks time.

It?s likely that discarded veterans Tim Sheens and Brian Smith will firm as favourites for the Warriors post with speculation a decision by New Zealand officials could be made within the next 48 hours.

Ultimately, the deal fell over when the Warriors wanted Bellamy to start immediately as head coach in 2013.

Bellamy has made it clear previously that he has no intention of leaving the Storm before his deal is complete at the end of 2013.

He will definitely coach the Storm next season where with the likes of Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk at his disposal, he can continue his dominance in the NRL.

Storm officials have made no secret of their desire to see Bellamy finish his career south of the border, but the premiership winner remains undecided what he will do beyond next season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zealand-warriors/story-e6frexnr-1226492917000

no direct quotes in that article from anyone and it's the Daily Telegraph which is news limited.

Exactly, that article is nothing but a space filler. I still maintain the appointment would not be taking this long unless Bellamy is not a serious option. I remain confident.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Of course, there will be no accountability for the media if they get it wrong. They can bag Scurrah and the players as much as they want but if they get it horribly wrong, they're still slumping their piss motors over the keyboard come Monday.

Micistm

Bench
Righto? Was just agreeing with a previous post. Some think its just a warriors thing, some don't. Sorry man if you thought I was trying to take your right to whinge away....would never do that:lol:

Cheers mate, I know I'm whinging and proud of it! After a shit of a year it feels good!:lol:
That said, if they get their man and begin to set up something exciting, then they can 'told you so' to all the whingers, and I'll be happy to scoff down some humble pie.

League historians out there: Can you name another Club that has spent so long picking a new coach and taking so long about it, it almost runs into preseason?
And any word on their review? Not being smart, I honestly have no idea whether it's going, or not, or in process, or has it started..?????

Micistm

Bench
Club apologist? Well excccuuuuuussssseeee me for being some what rational. I don't mind the club being crituqed at all if it actually makes sense.

e.g not criticising the club for being a shambles or ridiculous and then advocating that they make a ridiculous decision or make the club look like a shambles such as sack the ceo AFTER he has just completed the process of installing a new coach and therefore effectively undermining the new coach before he's even started.

You're excused, I forgive you;-)

SilentOne

Juniors
Craig Bellamy's manager John Fordham has refused to close the door on the Melbourne premiership-winning coach heading to New Zealand to take charge of the Warriors from the 2014 NRL season.
Fordham met with Bellamy this week to discuss the Storm coach's future, with his current deal expiring at the end of 2013.
"We've already had a discussion this week in Sydney. There's no hurry because he's got another year to go," Fordham told AAP.
"It would be fair to say there are options for Craig when he concludes his current contract in 2013."
Asked if one of those options was in New Zealand Fordham said:
"Those matters are private. All I'm saying is he's coaching at Melbourne in 2013 and he hasn't committed to any club beyond 2013 at this stage," he said.
"He's going overseas next week for two weeks, so there's no decision on what he will be doing beyond seeing out his current contract at the end of 2013."
It was reported by News Limited that Bellamy knocked back an offer for a multi-million dollar deal to join the Warriors who wanted him to start in 2013.
"The Warriors have got a coach vacancy from next year. Well, Craig is not available next year," Fordham said.
"You can't reject something you can't do."
The news from the Bellamy camp came after Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah on Wednesday declined to comment on reports claiming the coach would join the 2011 grand finalists after honouring the final year of his Storm contract, during which time the Auckland club would hire a caretaker coach.
Scurrah said the naming of a replacement for coach Brian McClennan, who was axed in August, was imminent with the appointment to be revealed "within the next week".
The Warriors have been in the hunt for a coach since dumping the former Kiwi Test mentor less than a year into a two-year contract
It followed a disastrous campaign that saw the club miss the finals and finish third-last on the ladder.
A number of names have been linked with the position, including Bellamy's Melbourne assistant David Kidwell, ex-Penrith and Canberra mentor Matthew Elliott and Australian Test coach Tim Sheens, who was axed by Wests Tigers last month.
Tony Iro, who was the Warriors caretaker coach after McClennan was sacked, is interested in keeping the role and said he was still waiting to hear from Scurrah.
"I've gone through the interview process like some other coaches and we'll wait and see. The story changes every 24 hours," Iro said.
Melbourne fullback Billy Slater said he had no idea what Bellamy's plans for the future were.
"He's there next year and we never look too far down the track as a club," Slater said before Kangaroos training in Townsville on Wednesday.
Kidwell was previously seen as a frontrunner for the job, but withdrew amid speculation he was unhappy with the amount of time available to prepare for the 2013 season.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Craig Bellamy's manager John Fordham has refused to close the door on the Melbourne premiership-winning coach heading to New Zealand to take charge of the Warriors from the 2014 NRL season.

is the door f**ken open or closed?

fairfax might just be trying to spite news.

Latest posts