What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

spear tackle

Juniors
Just by way of comparison, how long was it between Cleary being announced as leaving, and Bluey being announced as being the new coach last year? And by announced I mean officially by the club, not speculation by the media?

retty sure he was announced offically before the finals last year.

Juju

Juniors
That means absolutley zilch come next season.

Seriosuly, who did you want as coach?
BS. It means a lot before the season even starts and has huge implications. How do you think this decision will affect member sales? - which in turn seriously effects the clubs revenue.

It is a major, HUGE pr disaster if we have hired him.

I'd want Bellamy in 14 obviously.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
BS. It means a lot before the season even starts and has huge implications. How do you think this decision will affect member sales? - which in turn seriously effects the clubs revenue.

It is a major, HUGE pr disaster if we have hired him.

I'd want Bellamy in 14 obviously.

I'm talking about possible on field performances. If you want to write off a coach/team because off a trivial thing such as the nrl coaching merry go round then well go for it.

No shit, but after Bellamy who was your preferred option? Daniel anderson was about the only other option who you could describe as a better option and who knows if he wants to return to the warriors/coaching at all.

Last edited:

Juju

Juniors
I'm talking about possible on field performances. If you want to write off a coach/team because off a trivial thing such as the nrl coaching merry go round then well go for it.

No shit, but after Bellamy who was your preferred option? Daniel anderson was about the only other option who you could describe as a better option and who knows if he wants to return to the warriors/coaching at all.
Tim Sheens, Brian Smith, Mick Potter are all far better candidates then Elliot.

Releasing Cleary looks particularly idiotic right now.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Tim Sheens, Brian Smith, Mick Potter are all far better candidates then Elliot.

Releasing Cleary looks particularly idiotic right now.

Yup Tim sheens maybe, but by all reports he wasn't interested in the job. Brian Smith-very debatable. And Mick Potter, unless you watch super league week in and week out pretty hard to say. He would have been written off on here anyway because he has no nrl experience.

The funny thing is i bet you wanted Cleary gone halfway the 2011 season.

What makes Elliott one of the worst coaches going round? Whats he gonna do to make us one of the worst teams next year? Just so I can be prepared.

Last edited:

Drzoidberg

Juniors
I was one who wanted clearly GONE. Was I wrong, bloody Oath I was.

Wayne had a hard on over bluey when he signed him. Then offered him 2 years. Then Smelliot is apparently taking over and he got 3 years? Bit strange with his record. ESP considering he was suppose to be coaching director. Doubt that Moley is correct here. Could be wrong but doubt it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I was one who wanted clearly GONE. Was I wrong, bloody Oath I was.

Wayne had a hard on over bluey when he signed him. Then offered him 2 years. Then Smelliot is apparently taking over and he got 3 years? Bit strange with his record. ESP considering he was suppose to be coaching director. Doubt that Moley is correct here. Could be wrong but doubt it.

I get things terribly wrong a lot of the time. I really do. But I always thought letting go of Cleary was a poor idea, and an even worse one appointing Bluey.

I dunno...I tend to think this Elliott one is right. If we've missed Bellamy, and I always kinda thought we would, what other option do we have? Kidwell is out, Morgan is out, Sheens is still on contract and didn't like the smell of NZ (allegedly), Brian Smith is Matt Elliott with more experience of not winning, Anderson doesn't seem to have been in the picture, the club clearly doesn't rate Iro and Ackland enough (me neither)...so what other option do we have? Pre-season starts in 3 weeks.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Aussie? Check

FG experience? Check

I'm alright with this. I'm sure the rest of you will come crawling back after a few wins next season.

By that sort of reasoning we could have Paul Langmack, Steve Georgealis, Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga or a whole host of other coaches that would ensure our first spoon.

Gould cut Elliott loose from the Panthers because his methods were wacky. Their 2010 season was built on kick the ball high and hope we catch it. You'd have put your house on them losing in straight sets in the finals and they did. Otherwise there isn't any success over there to speak of. Oh yeah, he won Super League titles. Who was the last Warriors coach who did that, off the top of your head?

Scurrah said no expense would be spared in getting the best coach money could buy, or something similar. Matt Elliott is the best coach after 10 other candidates turn us down or find a job at Coogee KFC instead.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I dunno...I tend to think this Elliott one is right. If we've missed Bellamy, and I always kinda thought we would, what other option do we have? Kidwell is out, Morgan is out, Sheens is still on contract and didn't like the smell of NZ (allegedly), Brian Smith is Matt Elliott with more experience of not winning, Anderson doesn't seem to have been in the picture, the club clearly doesn't rate Iro and Ackland enough (me neither)...so what other option do we have? Pre-season starts in 3 weeks.

Yup. Like I said out of the possible options there is only in my eyes one other coach who clearly has it over eliott in my eyes and thats daniel anderson. And considering he hasn't been linked to this or the tigers job you would think he's not too keen on coaching atm.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
By that sort of reasoning we could have Paul Langmack, Steve Georgealis, Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga or a whole host of other coaches that would ensure our first spoon.

Gould cut Elliott loose from the Panthers because his methods were wacky. Their 2010 season was built on kick the ball high and hope we catch it. You'd have put your house on them losing in straight sets in the finals and they did. Otherwise there isn't any success over there to speak of. Oh yeah, he won Super League titles. Who was the last Warriors coach who did that, off the top of your head?

Scurrah said no expense would be spared in getting the best coach money could buy, or something similar. Matt Elliott is the best coach after 10 other candidates turn us down or find a job at Coogee KFC instead.

Attack based on kicking to the corner? Could have sworn our attack under Ivan was based on that for a large portion of the time.

They went all in for bellamy and that was right thing to do, after that it comes down to do you want a coach with an average nrl record vs another coach with an average nrl record vs a rookie. There just wasn't many great options behind the dream of bellamy.

Juju

Juniors
I can't wait to hear Scurrah hyping or more likely defending the (potential) appointment of Elliot.
Hopefully some journalists actually ask the tough questions

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Attack based on kicking to the corner? Could have sworn our attack under Ivan was based on that for a large portion of the time.

They went all in for bellamy and that was right thing to do, after that it comes down to do you want a coach with an average nrl record vs another coach with an average nrl record vs a rookie. There just wasn't many great options behind the dream of bellamy.

Agreed on both points.

If Anderson was unsure, maybe a few $ would have brought him round. I'd certainly rather him than Elliott. I don't have any solutions but I'm not a well-paid NRL CEO who oversaw the freeing of an eventual GF-making coach.