What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

Juju

Juniors
Tough questions such as why didn't we get Bellamy? Probably because he didn't want to come.
Do you just like being contrary or something?

Tough questions like was letting Cleary go a mistake?
Is hiring the coach the Panthers sacked for Cleary a mistake?
Is talking publicly stating we are hiring a "super coach" a mistake?
Why did so many coaches turn down the club?

Theres four that will have him squirming. He will be sacked shortly I guarantee it - which is a pity as the club was showing great growth in most areas.

Rebel

First Grade
The Warriors coaching saga has taken yet another twist.

The latest rumour suggests the club has now signed former Canberra and Penrith coach Matthew Elliott. He's allegedly penned a three-year deal.

Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah has offered no comment on the rumour.

However, Scurrah has confirmed a coach has been signed by the club and says has maintained the line that all will be revealed soon.

source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10839857

Rumor? Oh please let it ONLY be a rumor.

Rebel

First Grade
I'm trying to justify this in my head... Lets look at his record.

Canberra Raiders

2002 - 8th Eliminated Week 1
2003 - 4th Eliminated Week 2
2004 - 8th Eliminated Week 1
2005 - 14th Missed finals
2006 - 7th Eliminated Week 1

Penrith Panthers

2007 - 16th Missed finals
2008 - 12th Missed finals
2009 - 11th Missed finals
2010 - 2nd Eliminated Week 2
2012 - 11th Missed finals

5 finals apparences in 10 years. And this isnt counting his super league record which is much better.

Could be worse.... It could be Sheens.

Edit: finals record 0/7. Thats a souths statistic.

Rebel

First Grade
His super league record

1997 - 1st Premiers
1998 - 5th Eliminated Week 1
1999 - 1st Runner up
2000 - 3rd Eliminated Week 3

Micistm

Bench
I'm talking about possible on field performances. If you want to write off a coach/team because off a trivial thing such as the nrl coaching merry go round then well go for it.

No shit, but after Bellamy who was your preferred option? Daniel anderson was about the only other option who you could describe as a better option and who knows if he wants to return to the warriors/coaching at all.

Daniel Anderson did confirm he was interested (Radio Sport, straight from the horses mouth).

But otherwise, God Feddie, we will agree on this one. I'd be prepared to give him a chance. My only question would be why a three year deal. Otherwise I prefer this option to Kidwell (not knocking the guy personally) or other Kiwis in the Matey click.
His record is in the 40%s for both Raiders & Pandas, but who knows, he may find a niche here. In terms of Supercoach, you've only got Belly or Hasler and possibly Bennett (who seems to have slipped into third behind those), you either get them or you don't.
The only real issue is it does make the Warriors look a bit silly, taking so long to finally select the guy that got fired to make way for the coach they didn;t want to keep that got them to a GF

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
now on SMH

THE long-running coaching saga at the Warriors is all but over, with the club set to appoint former Penrith and Canberra coach Matthew Elliott to the role.
Chief executive Wayne Scurrah confirmed today the Warriors have made an appointment. And while he refused to speculate on who had the job, it's believed Elliott is almost certain to be officially unveiled in the next two days.
"We're only days away from making an announcement," Scurrah would only say.
The Warriors had made Melbourne's premiership-winning coach Craig Bellamy their target for 2013, but when the club was told this week that he would not break his Storm contract, officials decided that Elliott, who had been an assistant at the Roosters in 2012, was the right candidate. His appointment would end a long process following the sacking of Brian McClennan, in which Stephen Kearney, Justin Morgan, Tim Sheens, Daniel Anderson and David Kidwell, among others, were linked with the position.
Advertisement
There had been speculation that the Warriors would appoint a coach for one year, in order to make a play for Bellamy in 2014, but officials decided not to take that path
LINK

One can only hope this is a rumor to throw them off the scent of the real person hired.

Otherwise, wtf are they thinking?????

Raider_69

Post Whore
i could understand it if it was a one year deal to have another go at bellemy but signing elliott to a multi-year would be a disaster

Rebel

First Grade
I thought the original plan was Kidwell as main coach and elliot as director/assistant coach. Now that DK is out of the running, maybe we are still appointing elliot in that support role and are waiting for the head coach to be appointed.

Warmess

Juniors
Man this has spread like cancerous fire since the Mole put it out there...

I sure hope it's a rumor, things seems to move pretty quickly, why just yesterday David Kidwell was confirmed with the players having been informed.

I really wouldn't be surprised if it is Elliot, it seems we've dicked around a lot of candidates during the process of trying to get Bellamy. I'll still support 'em no matter what, but FMD Elliot is a pretty underwhelming appointment. I'd rather have taken on Kidwell or Morgan for sure.

Mike0070

Juniors
yep definaltly , at least kidwell has some mongrel in him , so much for the "extensive review" and a hard preseason training

if this bs is true then the warriors have given the word amatuer a whole new meaning

Skinner

Coach
FMD, I go out and do an honest days toil, come home and the sky has fallen in...

Would not have been my choice, but I'm happy to give him a go. At least it's a coach to start preparing the off season. Mind you, I really have not seen it officially confirned anywhere.

hitro

Juniors
Hope this not true just like all previous 'dead certs'
We should go with Iro for now and keep looking

Latest posts