What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

If the news is true, then I'd like to express my deepest and most heartfelt condolences to all of you. What an absolute f**k up.

You can pretty much say goodbye to

- Your backs seeing any ball
- Having a clue in the opposition 20
- Having a clue in attack in general/ any attacking flair
- Junior development/ promising juniors coming through & helping them make the transition successfully
- Development and creativity of your halves
- A team line-up that makes sense
- Getting rid of any deadwood/under performing players
- Being taken seriously even if you finish high up on the ladder
- Winning finals games and/or a comp

Say hello to

- Players playing way out of position (Jason Bulgarelli & Terry Martin at f**king 5/8th???!)
- Trying to convert backs into forwards, forwards into halves
- Hit up after hit up after hit up
- The kick being your main attacking weapon
- Supercoach claiming he doesn't have the "cattle"
- Being left in a mess once he leaves

But hey, he's a good, funny bloke whose teams play with plenty of heart.... that's enough right??

Abdullah

Juniors
There is big worry when players speak out and say they prefer Iro...so ears will be deaf to new dumbo coach...result will be worse in 2013. Also, what staff is elliot bringing...and what of Iro and other current staffs?

One Warrior

Bench
I have said this isn't over until it's over and it isn't over yet, do not forget this started as a rumour from The Mole (since when has he been right) picked up on by the Daily Telegraph (journalism at its best), from there other news outlets have copied each other's reports. Nothing is fact until confirmed by the club, if however it is true then I will let my thoughts be known.

spear tackle

Juniors
If the news is true, then I'd like to express my deepest and most heartfelt condolences to all of you. What an absolute f**k up.

You can pretty much say goodbye to

- Your backs seeing any ball
- Having a clue in the opposition 20
- Having a clue in attack in general/ any attacking flair
- Junior development/ promising juniors coming through & helping them make the transition successfully
- Development and creativity of your halves
- A team line-up that makes sense
- Getting rid of any deadwood/under performing players
- Being taken seriously even if you finish high up on the ladder
- Winning finals games and/or a comp

Say hello to

- Players playing way out of position (Jason Bulgarelli & Terry Martin at f**king 5/8th???!)
- Trying to convert backs into forwards, forwards into halves
- Hit up after hit up after hit up
- The kick being your main attacking weapon
- Supercoach claiming he doesn't have the "cattle"
- Being left in a mess once he leaves

But hey, he's a good, funny bloke whose teams play with plenty of heart.... that's enough right??

So what you are really saying is expect more of what we had this season I think.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Spoiler alert... Warriors 20 metres from the try line, deep backline to the left, 4th tackle, Johnson takes the ball runs, across field, there is an over lap!... ohhh no, Johnson turns the ball back inside to some lumbering forward who runs straight into 3 blokes. Quick play the ball, there is still a chance if they go through the hand... oh wait, nope bomb to the corner.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Spoiler alert... Warriors 20 metres from the try line, deep backline to the left, 4th tackle, Johnson takes the ball runs, across field, there is an over lap!... ohhh no, Johnson turns the ball back inside to some lumbering forward who runs straight into 3 blokes. Quick play the ball, there is still a chance if they go through the hand... oh wait, nope bomb to the corner.

Thats what our game has been like for the majority of the last 6 years.

MKEB...

Staff member
I will start ranting when I hear the official news. I would prefer not to have Elliot, in fact I would rather have Bluey.

So what you are really saying is expect more of what we had this season I think.

I haven't really payed attention to you guys this season but I think it's difficult to evaluate McLennan's traits and abilities in the NRL after only one season.

Elliott has shown himself over 10 years coaching in this comp. Barring a minor miracle, that is the sort of stuff you will be seeing and more.

I couldn't think of a worse appointment for your club mostly in regards to its playing style even if I tried. Literally anyone would be better for you guys than Supercoach.

jaseg

Juniors
I will be so disappointed if it's true. Wasn't really expecting Bellamy, but Elliott? Ugh.

I REALLY hope I am proved wrong, but I'd have Matt Elliott roughly 20th on a list of coaches to sign, after all of the following (in no particular order - and obviously not all are available, but you get the point);

Wayne Bennett
Craig Bellamy
Des Hasler
Jason Taylor
Steve Folkes
Jim Dymock
Daniel Anderson
Nathan Brown
Tony Smith
Mick Potter
Justin Morgan
Neil Henry
Anthony Griffin
Shane Flanagan
Tim Sheens
Ricky Stuart
Michael Maguire
Ivan Cleary
Terry Matterson

Annnnnd I'm sure I missed some...

Edit: Out of interest, there's 6 guys on that list with NRL experience who are currently without an NRL head coaching gig (this time in order of preference top-bottom);
Jason Taylor
Steve Folkes
Jim Dymock
Daniel Anderson
Nathan Brown
Tim Sheens

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
lol.

You are delusional if you're trying to justify his appointment.

Not at all, I'm just screwing with the inevitable fans of other clubs coming in to tell us how shit our coach is going to be. Although I'm willing to give him a chance before completely writing him and the club off.

I do find it funny telling us how bad it's going to be to have a boring style of play etc when like I said we have had that for the last 6 years.

jaseg

Juniors
And yeah, Fast Eddie is right - a lot of that stuff we had under Ivan Cleary as well (minus the grumbling about the coach and coach complaining that he doesn't have the cattle). Particularly lack of attacking structure, converting/playing players out of position and over reliance on kicks to score tries. At least we had defence (at times) under Cleary, though - who knows what's going to happen with ME (if he is appointed)?

Not at all, I'm just screwing with the inevitable fans of other clubs coming in to tell us how shit our coach is going to be.

Although I do find it funny telling us how bad it's going to be to have a boring style of play etc when like I said we have had that for the last 6 years.

Oh really?

Was it the same boring style that got you to the Grand Final last year?

Because under Supercoach not only will you become even more boring, but you also won't get within cooee of making it again or even making a preliminary final on his watch.

I dare say most people would take boring and making a GF over even more boring and not even being in with a chance.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Oh really?

Was it the same boring style that got you to the Grand Final last year?

Because under Supercoach not only will you become even more boring, but you also won't get within cooee of making it again or even making a preliminary final on his watch.

I dare say most people would take boring and making a GF over even more boring and not even being in with a chance.

Yes it was actually. We played very conservatively. You must be confusing us with the 2002 Warriors like every 2nd Australian NRL fan.

OK good to know. We can completely write off the next 3 seasons then, you've made your point.

Last edited:

Latest posts