What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a new coach

JJ

Immortal
If the players wanted Iro so much, they should have shown it on the field - more effective than pigeon English via twitter I'd have thought...

They continue to embarrass themselves - Johnson and Locke in particular need to grow up, talent and a couple of good games doesn't make you terribly special

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It was an impressive 20 min conference from Elliott, but his speaking ability was never in question. It's how the team performs that really matters.

Interesting to hear him talk about how much cap room he has available to him and also the way some clubs might be looking to squeeze players out due to cap issues of their own at this time of year.

Certainly the Warriors will be well resourced next season. The biggest hurdle next season will be the players.

_addict

Juniors
Telfer was coming across like a real c**k. I don't often listen to RS so I'm not sure how he usually is, but he didn't know shit about Elliot but was quick in saying we have the right man and being very dismissive of callers comments. I must say though, some of those callers sounded like complete mouthbreathers and if I had to spend my day communicating with them I'd be pretty dismissive too.

I can't generally stomach Telfer, but I thought in these interviews that he at least asked the right questions

Fast Eddie

First Grade
It was an impressive 20 min conference from Elliott, but his speaking ability was never in question. It's how the team performs that really matters.

Interesting to hear him talk about how much cap room he has available to him and also the way some clubs might be looking to squeeze players out due to cap issues of their own at this time of year.

Certainly the Warriors will be well resourced next season. The biggest hurdle next season will be the players.

Hey, at least we have a coach who can string a sentence together next season. Will be a good change.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm not concerned with Elliott's RL knowledge, it's whether or not he can get the players to buy into it that concerns me as that seems to have been his weakest point, and it's hard not to get the impression that this Warriors team is a little less receptive than some of the ones he's coached previously.

Iafeta

Referee

Press conference... I was highly impressed. Well done to Matt. And I wish him luck.

I wasn't aware, but I'm under the impression that he achieved finals in ESL/NRL in something like 10 of his first 11 seasons...

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Press conference... I was highly impressed. Well done to Matt. And I wish him luck.

I wasn't aware, but I'm under the impression that he achieved finals in ESL/NRL in something like 10 of his first 11 seasons...

No - doubt the bloke can talk the talk

But there were plenty of lies..... particulary from Scurrah
But even from elliot

Was there any point you doubted your ability whilst at Penrith?
He said no. lol.

We all remember on what was going on there ...the choking youruself with ur tie

As for everybody liking him....and elliot saying he is friends with pritchard
pritchard is bagging him also

Once again ...if it wasnt buit up like this for so long...and the players told 5 mins before hand
They wouldnt of got such a bad reaction.

Scurrah will use it to save himself from the firing line...it has already worked on the fans (re most on this forum).

Most should be rightfully angry at management but they are too busy bagging kevin locke etc

DIMEAST

Juniors

Iro's not "one of the boys" he's a mentor. I know everyone thinks the players want it cruisy but they had that last year with Bluey and they thought it was sweet to start with but as it went on they all hated it. Iro knows the players inside out and they respect him. I think he would do really well with a full preseason and season to prove himself but whatever.

My gf's brother plays for the jr roosters and he said it was gonna be matt elliott but I didn't believe it, but I'm prepared to give him a chance, Warriors are my team and the teams bigger than the man so fuggit, fully supporting him for now.

One Warrior

Bench
Ok, when it came out last night that it was going to be Elliott, my intention tonight if it was confirmed was to come on here and rant, however when it was confirmed I was at work and you have to be professional and so my anger subsided. Now having heard what Locke posted on twitter, I thought I am better than that and ranting would not achieve anything, whats done is done.

I will freely admit Bellamy was my first choice and DA my second, heck Matt Elliott was probably not in my top 10 choices, but he is now our coach and I will support him and give him a chance to see what he can bring to the club, heck we may get Jennings.

Something Micistm said today resonsated with me and that was about Johnson & Locke and their Twitter quotes and that he Micistm had been supporting the club since those players had been in nappies. Well likewise I have supported this club since it's inception and a change in coach will not make me change that, I will support this club until the day I die. I just hope in that time I can see at least one Warrior's Premiership.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

That would be close to the mark. Despite getting Canberra to 4/5 finals series the fans weren't overly impressed by the sounds of things.

Penrith seems to be the biggest smudge on his record so far and in the mind of league fans that's all that matters. That's why next year everyone will be picking us for the bottom 8 if not bottom 4 when the same experts/fans were rating us as premiership contenders before the start of this season.

He's a very intelligent man when it comes to league. It all comes down to whether or not he can get the players to buy what he's selling.

The issue here could be that Elliot seems to be a smart, thorough communicator who assumes that others can communicate just as well. This can be a problem and a cause of great frustration eventually. A grown, experienced adult can't treat immature young kids or generally ignorant players as his equal partners in communication. He must find a way to control and affect the players without expecting them to become intelligent, mature human beings overnight.
Everyone can coach guys like Billy Slater, Cam Smith, Paul Gallen etc. They are self-motivated, intelligent individuals. Blokes like Locke, Pritchard, Inu, they are the ones that pose a challenge and that's where good coaches are separated from the rest.

SilentOne

Juniors
I remember reading that Petro asked Elliot to "dumb down" what he was saying when addressing the players, I hope he's learned from Penrith.

Iafeta

Referee
No - doubt the bloke can talk the talk

But there were plenty of lies..... particulary from Scurrah
But even from elliot

Was there any point you doubted your ability whilst at Penrith?
He said no. lol.

We all remember on what was going on there ...the choking youruself with ur tie

As for everybody liking him....and elliot saying he is friends with pritchard
pritchard is bagging him also

Once again ...if it wasnt buit up like this for so long...and the players told 5 mins before hand
They wouldnt of got such a bad reaction.

Scurrah will use it to save himself from the firing line...it has already worked on the fans (re most on this forum).

Most should be rightfully angry at management but they are too busy bagging kevin locke etc

My recollection was the name mentioned was Tony Puletua...? As in Tony Puletua was literally in tears to leave Penrith and still talks to Elliott regularly.

With Scurrah, no, I'm not particularly impressed. The whole process was too long and ultimately caused consternation amongst the roster, which I believe is part of the Locke-Johnson response reasoning yesterday. The roster would have been getting very edgy, and I think some of the comments Scurrah made in the press would have had their minds thinking on other coaches - so I believe yesterday possibly was a bit of shock, naivity, and I also would say unprofessionalism. I want Steve Price involved in the management of this club, someone who has great leadership skills, is qualified for management with his MBA, has a lot of great league connections, is well respected amongst leaguies, and most importantly, would add that "practical" rugby league knowledge to go alongside Scurrah's business experience.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ok, when it came out last night that it was going to be Elliott, my intention tonight if it was confirmed was to come on here and rant, however when it was confirmed I was at work and you have to be professional and so my anger subsided. Now having heard what Locke posted on twitter, I thought I am better than that and ranting would not achieve anything, whats done is done.

I will freely admit Bellamy was my first choice and DA my second, heck Matt Elliott was probably not in my top 10 choices, but he is now our coach and I will support him and give him a chance to see what he can bring to the club, heck we may get Jennings.

Something Micistm said today resonsated with me and that was about Johnson & Locke and their Twitter quotes and that he Micistm had been supporting the club since those players had been in nappies. Well likewise I have supported this club since it's inception and a change in coach will not make me change that, I will support this club until the day I die. I just hope in that time I can see at least one Warrior's Premiership.

Good for you mate. I agree whole heartedly with that. Elliott wasn't our first choice but he's the coach of our side and he seems like he's 100 per committed to make it work. If our players follow that lead, we might be ok.

Rich102

Staff member
Glad the clensing has started. A few more need to go.

I see ME has a fine sense of humor too. Suggested he may play JRo in the halves next year.

Latest posts