What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
After tonight management no longer need to shop around for a 5/8.

Jason Smith at 35 years of age is simply not worth the gamble. If there was some way of guaranteeing we could get say 15-20 games out of him in 2007 I would say yeah OK. His attacking kicking game alone in the opposition 20 would probably make him a worthwhile acquisition. However, after tonight I think Craig Trindall IS worth gambling on. He showed enough in very difficult conditions to suggest he can do a decent job for us in the 5/8 role as well as being a pretty decent back up for Gowie.

Spend the $500K on half a dozen low key signings, kids with potential, four outside backs and two front rowers! Go for depth, while were losing half a dozen established first grade quality players we still have the nucleus of a pretty decent side. The quality kids coming through and some astute low key signings and I am optimistic the future looking pretty good.

Big Mick

Referee
Agreed.

I was quite impressed with Trindell...actually alot more than I thought I would have been. But the key thing is...Can he keep his head right? That is the question...

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
Agreed.

I was quite impressed with Trindell...actually alot more than I thought I would have been. But the key thing is...Can he keep his head right? That is the question...

In respect of the Craig Trindall's performance it should be noted that Priddo out of dummy half went to Preston on at least two out of every three plays.

My missus was blowing up with Luke Priddis during the first half as he seemed reluctant to distribute the ball Trindall. There was nothing in it as it was just a combination thing and his natural reaction was to go to Preston.

The longer the game went the more I thought Trindall really looked the goods. The more times he got his hands on the ball the better he looked and he definitely grew in confidence.

If Trindall get's another opportunity in the top flight this season in dry conditions watch out because he's a damn good footballer and he's gonna make up for the lost years.

Fibroman

First Grade
I haven't seen Trindall in action, but personally, I think Gower should move to 5/8th, not only for his own career, but for the team. Groom Aiton for half back, as he definately looks the goods for mine.

Trindall for accounts may be a backup for both postions?

When NSW are talking about Gasnier and Hill at 5/8th, there seems a fair bit of scope for Gower to fill that slot.

Ps. I would love to see Penrith pick up Craig Wing for 2007, who, for mine, would be another perfect starting halfback in our side with Gowie at 5/8th.

We need to move the pig to 5/8th!

Kilkenny

Coach
Fibroman said:
I haven't seen Trindall in action, but personally, I think Gower should move to 5/8th, not only for his own career, but for the team. Groom Aiton for half back, as he definately looks the goods for mine.

Trindall for accounts may be a backup for both postions?

When NSW are talking about Gasnier and Hill at 5/8th, there seems a fair bit of scope for Gower to fill that slot.

Ps. I would love to see Penrith pick up Craig Wing for 2007, who, for mine, would be another perfect starting halfback in our side with Gowie at 5/8th.

We need to move the pig to 5/8th!

Fibroman, I note the time of the post being approximately 12.36am. I assume from the time this was posted shortly after closing time at Club Paceway. I accept your judgement may have been somewhat impaired and I will put this post down to alcohol induced stupidity? Perhaps we can discuss the merits of the Gowie move to 5/8 prior to our home game against the Warriors as I don't anticipate being able to get to the paceway between now and then!

Fibroman

First Grade
I can come up with plenty of reason as to why Gowie should/could move to 5/8th. I don't see too many CONSTRUCTIVE reasons as to why he shouldn't move there. Personally I don't think Lewis is the long term solution at 5/8th, and our recruiting thus far indicates that there aren't any quality players hitting our roster for 2007.

Even if Michael Jennings hits his straps overnight, we will be still very skinny out in the centres, and will need Lewis out in the #3 or 4.

The only other possibility at this stage, is Elliot bringing Jason Smith to the foot of the mountains to play in the #6, still leaving Lewis in the centres, one way or another.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fibroman said:
I can come up with plenty of reason as to why Gowie should/could move to 5/8th. I don't see too many CONSTRUCTIVE reasons as to why he shouldn't move there. Personally I don't think Lewis is the long term solution at 5/8th, and our recruiting thus far indicates that there aren't any quality players hitting our roster for 2007.

Even if Michael Jennings hits his straps overnight, we will be still very skinny out in the centres, and will need Lewis out in the #3 or 4.

The only other possibility at this stage, is Elliot bringing Jason Smith to the foot of the mountains to play in the #6, still leaving Lewis in the centres, one way or another.

I note there was NO denial in respect of your original post being alcohol induced and obviously influenced by the copius amounts of beer consumed at Club Paceway.

Fear not Fibro, I've heard a strong rumour we are about to sign a highly promising 5/8 from Group 17 in the NSWRL Country Cup. While he's 34 going on 35 by the start of season 2007 he formerly represented NSW at Under 14 level and apparently has dealt with his own alcohol issues and is now determined to ressurect his career. I am reliably informed the signing in question is very strong in the kicking department? (Unfortunately as a result of his kicking talent he was incarcerated and was subsequently sentenced to four years hard labour.) Anyway, he is now totally rehabilitated and sees his opportunity with the Panthers as being his last opportunity to make it in the NRL and he intends to make every post a winner.

After the two low key signings of Smith from Canberra and the other fella from the Knights, whatever his name is at least things are starting to look up and we should get the good news this week somtime!

Pantherjim.

Referee

Big Mick

Referee
Deadset.....Whoever at the Penrith club that said "i don't want Jason Smith" has deadset rocks in their head and should be sacked. He is EXACTLY what we require.

Fibroman

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
Deadset.....Whoever at the Penrith club that said "i don't want Jason Smith" has deadset rocks in their head and should be sacked. He is EXACTLY what we require.

Totally agree.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think were all missing one very valid point.

Why would Jason Smith want to come to the Panthers?

I'm sure he would much rather finish his career with a club who has a realistic chance of competing for the top 8!

richie8u

Juniors
Smith is as good as gone, Hannay is a shark, the Wing rumor unfounded, i wonder where the money has gone?? if we made a play for Lyon that means we had $300 000 plus, and signed 2 reggies, will we end up paying overs for a 5/8 from ESL, or just try to win the Prem league??

Kilkenny

Coach
All is not lost the management of the club has requested video tapes of all Queensland Cup fixtures played so far this season. If they appoint the right person to review the video tapes who knows we knows we may identify and recruit another Michael Gordon or Matthew Bell.

Seriously, the whole retention and recuitment issue is no longer funny and IMO the situation is very serious.

It appears obvious all other NRL clubs, with the exception of the Roosters, Canberra and Penrith, will go into season 2007 with player rosters the equal of this season or in most instances having improved their squads.

Last season our management made decisions to release a number of players which we were told had to be made to address salary cap problems and make it possible for the club to be competitive in the player market. The same time this season we have again lost a number of quality players only to recruit absolutely nobody?

The club has major problems and I'm not sure the new coach and some promising juniors are going to be able to address the deficiencies our playing roster.

richie8u

Juniors
Are you serious?? the club has requested tapes?? dont we have any scouts?? Any half decent players that are up to NRL standard are gone, we dont need players that will be good players in 2-3 years, we have MASSIVE gaps now, I had a slinging match with Rob W. Where i called current management liers or incompetent, maybe we should change the team name to the Penrith Titanics

Latest posts