What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the Panthers management were of the mistaken belief the anti tamperind dealine was at the end of July!

How else can you possibly explain our failure to recruit anybody?

We had funds available, allegedly, and yet signed no-one. Other than rumours linking us to Dane Carlaw we haven't even been linked to anybody?

I find the whole situation very troubling and any signings we do make from this point on will be along the same lines as the two recruits we have made to date.

Hardly inspiration stuff.

While Matt Elliot was keen to further his coaching career with a Sydney based club he must be wondering what he has got himself into?

We desparately needed to recruit some quality in the 5/8 & outside backs and frankly we failed miserably.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Unfortunately I think Elliot is one of these "Stuff spending money on house-hold names, nurture your juniors!" type coaches, which is why we should have offered Langy an extension on his contract. If it was up to me, Langy would have been offered a new 3 year deal at Penrith.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for junior development, but when the chips are down and you need seasoned first graders to fill voids quickly like we do, you should be aggressive in the player market. Especially when you have money to spend like we do.

Nothing has been the same at this club since Shane Richardson left for Souths.

If Shane was still CEO, Langy would be at the club for three more years, we would have signed Hannay, Jason Smith, Manese Manuokafoa, Dane Carlaw, and I dare say... even Jamie Lyon.

Shane had a good head for the business that is Rugby League, he was aggressive and decisive two valuable traits that is severely lacking with the current management.

Fibroman

First Grade
I think the Panther's recruiting strategy doesn't allow for any injuries to key players during the course of a season.

flash

Juniors
Interesting two things mentioned on 2SM Talking sport this afternoon.

1. Penrith are apparently close to signing one of the Paul brothers. (I think they got this wrong as i'm sure they are signed elsewhere, and this rumour was around months ago).

2. Brandy told Langmack that Penrith have $500k to spend with no players to spend it on.

With the second point, i think the main problem is Management have probably been catious to not pay overs for players, but by doing so have pretty much left it too late to secure any player of note.

Kilkenny

Coach
The excitement of potential new recruits has long passed and all the worthwhile potential recruits have long since been snapped up by our competitors.

There will be further signings but it will be more of the likes of Nathan Smith and whatever the front rower from the Knights premier league is called.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Kilkenny said:
The excitement of potential new recruits has long passed and all the worthwhile potential recruits have long since been snapped up by our competitors.

True.

There were times between June 30th and up until the point where Josh Hannay and Jason Smith were snapped up by other clubs where I was excited, and couldn't wait to get home to boot the computer up and log on to P.I. to see the latest news of "who we'd signed" :roll:

Now, I simply couldn't give a rats arse....

Kilkenny

Coach
Pantherjim. said:
True.

There were times between June 30th and up until the point where Josh Hannay and Jason Smith were snapped up by other clubs where I was excited, and couldn't wait to get home to boot the computer up and log on to P.I. to see the latest news of "who we'd signed" :roll:

Now, I simply couldn't give a rats arse....

Don't despair Pantherjim, there is a new outside back on the market?

While he hasn't actually player for the Panthers he was arguably our best player in the 2003 Grand Final.

Chris Walker!

griffo346

First Grade
well i have seen that brett seymore is not wanted by the broncos maybe we can use him in the halves with gowie??

please no chris walker even tho he wants to revive his career he didnt get that oppitunity at souths and either at storm

but if he is only one left well maybe he would have to do

unless we could always so the big dell

Kilkenny

Coach
Chris Walker will not be a Panther?

Perhaps if he was prepared to sign on for the basic wage, ie $50K, but realistically, that would happen.

choc_soldier

Coach
DAY 34

Futile. At every opportunity, I check the noticeboard in the common area, with every visit in the hope that we have recruited some new troops to help with the cause next year. Most times, nothing. We have signed up two young turks from Newcastle and Canberra - which could help us one day. But we are after something a bit more to boost our advances. There were rumours that we were going to get a deserter - one of the best around in his chosen discipline - who has been hiding in England for the last couple of years, but he instead chose a posting on the coast. There are rumours that we could get a capable gunman from the east, but it is told that their batallion will not sign the release papers. Like usual, we will more than likely get a few rookies who are still completing their training at the New Zealand and Brisbane barracks.

Morale is starting to dwindle, but we're not losing hope... yet...

Kilkenny

Coach
I have not previously advocated or supported recruiting the likes of Josh Hannay or Jason Smith. I always hoped we may have been in for some other young up and coming stars.

We have signed nobody when we clearly needed to bring some new blood into the club, particulary, a 5/8 and a top class centre.

Well Kilkenny would like it known, if there is even the slightest chance of Craig Wing being released by the roosters, well we need to throw everything at him. Offer him what ever it takes. $300K - $350K a season. Offer him $400K. Matt Elliot and Michael Jennings will not be enough. On paper we have the nuclues of the very, very good side and yet something is missing.

The management of the club need to do everything in there power to prise him from the Roosters.

choc_soldier

Coach
If we can get Wing, that'll be great. Would be almost the perfect replacement for Campbell.

But if not... hey, not the end of the world.

Kilkenny

Coach
parra_panther said:
If we can get Wing, that'll be great. Would be almost the perfect replacement for Campbell.

But if not... hey, not the end of the world.

Parra Panther, as things stand for 2007, young Jennings aside we are one of the very few sides who have not improved there playing roster for 2007.

Everyone, including those apparently within the club recognised we needed to recruit some quality, particulary a 5/8 and centre.

As today has so clearly shown, we lack that something special, particularly out wide. Gowie and Wesser cannot do it all on there own.

Forgetting Wing, who we all know is already contacted with another club for 2007, surely we should have actively gone after another established 5/8.

Maybe we did, maybe we didn't, I don't know. I don't know with the Panthers any more. Logic would dictate we would have been actively pursuing a quality 5/8 but I simply don't know anymore.

As it stands, we are in worse shape for 2007, than we are now and as it would appear we are going to miss out of the semi's for the second year running which is clearly not good enough!

choc_soldier

Coach
Totally agree with you there Kilkenny. Centre and 5/8th is where we need to beef up for next year.

I really would like to know what goes on inside the head of Leary, Matthews and co... their inaction in this years market has been nothing short of disgraceful. Most supporters would agree with me, considering the amount of blood letting we did last year, with the promise that it would allow us to be aggressive this year.

Quite simply, the management can not be trusted on matters like this.

But you know what - I'm beyond frustration. It's almost becoming utter despair.

I am of the opinion that basically what we have now is what we will have for 2007, bar the usual couple of new recruits from Queensland and NZ.

If Elliott can mould that into a premiership force, then all the kudos to him.

Kilkenny

Coach
The job Elliot has done with limited resources at the Raiders is nothing short of amazing. If you look at his results the Raiders have almost always been competitive and only fallen short each season towards the latter part of the year when injuries have befallen the side. Again this season they are likely to finish above the Panthers and when comparing playing rosters you would put your house on the Panthers finishing above them! Elliot is in effect our only signing to date and the way things our travelling I can't see much changing.

Kilkenny

Coach
No Bartercard Cup or Queensland Cup signings for the Panthers in 2007.

I have it on reliable authority we are only interested in bringing in international quality players to the club.

Apparently we sent a scout to watch the Netherlands - v - Czech Republic clash over the weekend. The Dutch 5/8 is a gun and the Czech Republic have a useful front rower. He may have to shed a few kilo's from his 140kg frame to improve his mobility but is believed to have great potential.

Sanchez

Coach
Kilkenny said:
No Bartercard Cup or Queensland Cup signings for the Panthers in 2007.

I have it on reliable authority we are only interested in bringing in international quality players to the club.

Apparently we sent a scout to watch the Netherlands - v - Czech Republic clash over the weekend. The Dutch 5/8 is a gun and the Czech Republic have a useful front rower. He may have to shed a few kilo's from his 140kg frame to improve his mobility but is believed to have great potential.

wouldnt joke about this it may happen haha

parra_jesus

Juniors
alot of ppl disagreed with me but i thought jason smith would of been a great buy for one more season.him and gower would carve it up. and then by 2008 you might snare a great off-contract buy and it would give you guys one more year to bring through a quaility 5/8.