What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Silly (for all the wrong reasons) Season Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Fibroman said:
We must have in the vicinity of 1 million dollars room to move under the cap now with our losses and zero gains?

$1M to spend and no-one to spend it on. Pretty sad Fibro.

We need to sign the Dragon's CEO - Doust. The job he does to keep the Dragon's under there salary cap is amazing.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
Wouldn't mind picking up Danny Nutley...for a year or 2...

Till Grant is ready for first grade.

He'd go very well with our side and also would pick up the slack in defence with Galea leaving

Nutley would be great is he off contract??

And is Ben Roberts of contract??

Big Mick

Referee
Exactly what i've said previously...but I believe he may be on his way to Souths to play starting halfback.

Brad Tighe is on the market from the Knights and he is talking to Tigers and Souths....I dunno why we are not in the market for him...he'd be a good pick up.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Well now Gavin Cooper and Luke MacDougall are gone. Seems like were not going to have any new centres joining the club next season.

Schijt hoofd

Juniors
Kilkenny said:
$1M to spend and no-one to spend it on. Pretty sad Fibro.

We need to sign the Dragon's CEO - Doust. The job he does to keep the Dragon's under there salary cap is amazing.

Saints have had a gun side for the last 20 years,yet haven't won a comp.

After losing star players Barrett,Bailey and 1st graders Best and Greenshields and the cap going up $600,000,they had well over 1m to spend.

Also,1 extra player can earn money from 3rd party sponsorship,meaning 3 players from each club.Barrett was definitely 1 of those players from the dragons earning money that way,and possibly Bailey was as well.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Wing's Penrith link

By James Hooper

July 08, 2006

SYDNEY Roosters prize utility Craig Wing has been linked with a $250,000 switch to Penrith next season if the Bondi Junction club are prepared to release him.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal the Panthers want Wing to play five-eighth after missing out on Jamie Lyon but the move hinges on whether the Roosters will let him go.

The Kangaroos and NSW Origin star is under contract at Bondi Junction until the end of 2007 but has been the subject of enormous speculation about the Roosters looking to release him for much of this year.

Panthers general manager Mick Leary last night refused to "confirm or deny" the 2003 premiers were interested in Wing.

And Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan was adamant Wing remained "under contract until 2007".

"That's news to me – I can't help you," Leary said.

"We're sitting back having a look at all our options at the moment.

"We've got no firm offers out to anyone at the moment so it's all hypothetical.

"There's a lot of players that we're interested in but I'm not confirming or denying whether we're interested in any high profile player."

A decision on Wing's future may become clearer after Roosters chairman Nick Politis returns from holidaying with family in Honolulu.

It is believed the Roosters may consider releasing Wing provided a rival club is willing to pick up his entire $250,000 a season salary.

Roosters chief Canavan last night said neither Penrith or any other NRL club had telephoned to inquire about a possible release for Wing.
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,19715835-5001023,00.html

I dont know if anybody has read this yet but it makes absolutely no sense to me how Wing is linked to Penrith at all.

griffo346

First Grade
it doesnt mmake much sense to me either
but mick leary also said in this article that we are not after "high profile" players
yet rob weaver said on the panthers site that we are :?

*Sandy*

First Grade
I believe Mick Learys quote is: "There's a lot of players that we're interested in but I'm not confirming or denying whether we're interested in any high profile player."

Player Managers leak all sorts of stuff to the press to generate interest.

Kilkenny

Coach
Schijt hoofd said:
Saints have had a gun side for the last 20 years,yet haven't won a comp.

After losing star players Barrett,Bailey and 1st graders Best and Greenshields and the cap going up $600,000,they had well over 1m to spend.

Also,1 extra player can earn money from 3rd party sponsorship,meaning 3 players from each club.Barrett was definitely 1 of those players from the dragons earning money that way,and possibly Bailey was as well.

• Step 1. Write out a list of the likely top 25 player roster for the Dragons for season on 2007.
  • Step 2. Apply quesstimates of what you think are conservative contract values for each player.
  • Step 3. Apply the appropriate discounts as per for 3rd party arrangements and any long service players.
  • Step 4. Add the 25 amounts together.
  • Step 5. Your first attempt and probably subsequent attempts will show the total amount will be in excess of $4m.
  • Step 6. Repeat the above steps until your have the squad with the alloted $4M salary.
  • Step 7. When you are able to have there top 25 squad within the alloted salary cap you will see what a great job there CEO is doing.
PS. I suggest to you that you will find this task a lot easier to accomplish within the new cap of $4M because it was near impossible to achieve when the cap was $3.3M.

Schijt hoofd

Juniors
Kilkenny said:
  • Step 1. Write out a list of the likely top 25 player roster for the Dragons for season on 2007.
  • Step 2. Apply quesstimates of what you think are conservative contract values for each player.
  • Step 3. Apply the appropriate discounts as per for 3rd party arrangements and any long service players.
  • Step 4. Add the 25 amounts together.
  • Step 5. Your first attempt and probably subsequent attempts will show the total amount will be in excess of $4m.
  • Step 6. Repeat the above steps until your have the squad with the alloted $4M salary.
  • Step 7. When you are able to have there top 25 squad within the alloted salary cap you will see what a great job there CEO is doing.
PS. I suggest to you that you will find this task a lot easier to accomplish within the new cap of $4M because it was near impossible to achieve when the cap was $3.3M.

I don't need to write it down and do those things.I can work it out in my head.

Kilkenny

Coach
cainen said:
He's not as big as Galloway. Not many people are..

Have a look at young Alex Ranieri in PL. Big boy now. The club will have him on a strict diet - fitness - weight program during this coming off season and he will be even bigger and stronger next season. Very mobile for a kid his size and he is definitely a possibility for a bench spot in the top grade next season. Bell's not as big as Ranieri but I suspect like Ranieri he will develop further during the off season.

Latest posts