What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Swamp I

Status
Not open for further replies.

adams10ella

Juniors
Comment made by commentators last night was telling. Broncos are tired, exhausted, St George about to let loose. Looking fresh ready to attack. These comments not verbatum were aired just before half time.

If the Broncos were so exhausted and spent in the first 40 mins, how come St. George weren't. To win finals, you have to give it every single thing you have, and then some.

Broncos wanted that win, and they were going to play hard, fast, dangerous, and would have thrown caution to the wind to get it.

Unforunately for St George fans, the team didn't want the win as badly as the broncos.

The win can only come from the field, a coach can get them there.

To suggest Bennett is a dick with ears, is ludicrous. But as a Broncos fan, I don't want him back. Let NSW have him. He will give you guys a premiership.

Congrats to St. George for the threat for most of the season.
Brickbats to those fans who fk their team over. Shame on you.

Perhaps thats why the Broncos are so good, whitewash us at your peril. Lol.

Look forward to seeing you guys in 2010.

Iafeta

Referee
If he doesn't win a premiership outside of Brisbane it taints his legacy and he won't be doing it on this years effort. I have never rated him as a good tactitan and he had the strongest team in the comp for his entire caaree. Overrated.

Without taking anything away from Stephen Kearney, what Wayne Bennett was able to do with a depleted Kiwis outfit last year was nothing short of sensational. The Dragons had a successful year, sure, they peaked too early, but he oversaw an enormous development in that club's roster. It can't be merely coincidence that the level of improvement at the club saw guys like Justin Poore and Michael Weyman gain representative jumpers. Ben Creagh got a long overdue one, Neville Costigan came back from the abyss to get back into Origin, Brett Morris should have got one and the improvement in consistency due simply to the faith of the coach in Jamie Soward was enormous.

The best way to analyse Wayne Bennett is on the Kiwis last year, and in particular on Nathan Fien. Fien is an ordinary player. At the Warriors he loved nothing more than slamming up uncontestable bombs and crashing the back advertising hoardings with his grubbers that gave no one any chance. In the last 3 weeks of the World Cup the Kiwis through Kearney and Bennett changed Thomas Leuluai to hooker and Fien to halfback. Leuluai played great, and Fien became so much more direct. And for the first time in his career his kicking had finesse, to the point it was one of the true keys to the Kiwis success. When he returned to the Warriors under Ivan Cleary who I still think is a very good young coach, he returned to slamming the ball into the hoardings. Maybe it was just Nathan peaked in form, or maybe a certain bloke who you claim is a poor tactician took his limited skill set and gave him the foundation to use it accordingly.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
There are always a couple.

Anybody paying out Bennett is a dumb***. How many coaches in this competition do you think could of got this Dragons side the minor premiership?

Bennett has played a big role in getting guys like Soward,Morris,Weyman to perform at a high level. He is doing amazing things with the club OFF the field as well.

I stand by he is the best signing the club has ever made.

dragonfan1

Juniors
Hmmm... Well I'm disappointed obviously like others out there and agree with some of Who's ur Daddy's opinions. All I can say is I think we can only go up from here save for killer injuries. So next year could be the year. We might need to change our game plan though as we are relying on Soward far too much and luckily he played every game this season but he may not next year with Origin a possibility next year.

While I was not expecting a premiership this year, there's no denying we perhaps slightly underachieved. I expected nothing less than a top 4 save for killer injuries which we were lucky not to get and we were not too badly depleted during Origin. We won all our games during the origin period as well. So hopefully we can learn from this years 'mistakes' and go one better next year.

But we got our first minor premiership (as joint venture), three dragons made their origin debuts and some players have drastically improved this year and there are many more achievements which I can't be bothered to post. In addition, our toyota cup team came runner up in the minor premiership, we won the club championship, Manly failed to win successive premierships and our toyota cup team is still in the running for the premiership. So the season's not over yet. There's still the four nations and hopefully some dragons will be awarded with selection for a pretty good season overall.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You people accept mediocrity too easily.
lol @ 'you people'.

For years I have been advocating an end to the acceptance of mediocrity. I cringed everytime dared to suggest that a top four finish was good, or making the eight was a 'successful' season. The final straw for me was a few years ago when the club chairman came out and celebrated that Saints were only a couple of wins outside of the top eight. What he neglected to mention was that we were only one loss away from the wooden spoon!

Since Bennett came along, I've seen a change of attitude. He had a three year plan to get us a premiership. He also assured fans that Saints would no longer been seen as soft. He never made any promises of a premiership this year, only to turn us around. And he has turned us around.

If Bennett can end the acceptance of mediocrity in one year, he has done something that the entire club administration hasn't been able to do for the last decade.

In half a season, Bennett turned a middle of the pack team into competition leaders. We dead-set went above expectations. FMD, we even believed we were a chance this year.

I know we want a premiership every year, but realistically we know that's not possible.

If we said at the beginning of the year that Saints would get the minor premiership, I think most people would tell us that we're dreaming.

condochook

Juniors
you know who you are,you waynka.
you had a picture of Craig Fitzgibbon,and Trent Barret in a pot of boiling water saying,two ex dragons that will not be in the 2009 Grand Final

guess what coke sucker,neither will your guys be.
put one foot in and twist it all about,
do the okie chokie.
I dont care where easts finished,we both didnt get in the GF

smacky

Juniors
If you go back to the start of the season and see where we got too. You'd be happy. Last night i was pretty upset as we couldnt step it up and match the broncos but when you step back and take a look at the season we had it was great. Going from an inconsistant, ill disaplined, mistake ridden football team for the last couple years to a consistant, disaplined hardworking team in just one season was a HUGE improvement and it will only get better over the next few years. Bennet has been the key to this and anyone bagging him because we didnt go further just has to look back at what we have accomplished.

adamkungl

Immortal
Oh when the saints go choking in
When the saints go choking in
Oh lord I can hear that laughter

suck sh*t St Merge Illasox Dragqueen Steelers

Blackduck

Juniors
Negative coach with an out of control ego. Might be a good motivator but he is a horrible tactician. Over the past 2 weeks his media comments and gameplan have been disgraceful.

I wish we had signed Anderson over him. Not that we would have won the comp but we would have tried to play some attacking football. That was disgraceful tonight.

We have a 2 man backline. Morris and Soward are class but the rest are not worth a zack. Show them all the door with the exception of Scott who is a good 2nd rower but isn't a centers asshole.

The forwards didn't even look like they wanted to create 2nd phase play even after last week. The penalty goal attempt? f**k me.

We have no heart whatsoever and are lacking in skill. I am not excited about next season as we looked like exactly like Cronulla did in 2008. Up sh*t creek. If a bunch of useless merkins like Canterbury win the comp I'll go f**king postal.

I just hope Bennett is not given a pass. He should be held accountable for the moments f**k up that was the 2009 finals series. He aint god that's for sure.

No hes not God...........so stop expecting miracles. He is a bloody good coach though. All season the dragon supporters are praising "hail King Benny" the premiership was yours,think you even had tshirts made didnt you? Now its Bennets a loser,cant coach..........Talk about counting your chickens. Imagine the sort of pressure the players had to put up with. sh*t happens deal with it!

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
f**k you guys need a special stickied thread to deal with all the trolls..thats awesome..

No other team has one..so that just confirmed my theory that the dragons fans are THE most hated fans this year..

Blackduck

Juniors
The only "issue" here is your apparent inability to cope with a loss.

Did you expect us to win the premiership? I didn't. Nor did most of the guys I kick about with. We didn't have the attack for it and this was recognised by us a long time ago.

We were consistent, hard working and well organized in defence. We were able to score tries off opposition mistakes and grind out victories on the back of Soward's kicking. Simple stuff, it's a simple enough game after all. Though this is not something I've ever seen a St George team able do in my lifetime.

We had a great season and clearly there's a new team ethic. All of Bennett's signings have worked out, the least impressive being Boyd who was nonetheless solid.

Honestly we can cut you some slack if you're like 14 or something, but if you're one of those 36 year old Saints supporters that still reacts to every loss like a little bitch then you should give it away.

I love it............taking a loss on the chin,and common sense thinking.

Blackduck

Juniors
I'll tell you what is ridiculous, people getting the stakes and pitchforks out for a coach who got us the Minor Premiership in his first year in charge despite our "sub standard" backline.

I never know the Minor Premiership equalled mediocrity. I hope we play to a satisfactory level next year and win the title.

I will be very surprised if Saints dont go all the way next year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
f**k you guys need a special stickied thread to deal with all the trolls..thats awesome..
It was actually a courtesy thread to help out mindless trolls like you.

TheBourbonBeast said:
No other team has one..so that just confirmed my theory that the dragons fans are THE most hated fans this year..
lol. Like we give a stuff about that. You're just jealous.

If it was bread on a stick you'd jump up to get hooked.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Oh when the saints go choking in
Oh lord I can hear that laughter

suck sh*t St Merge Illasox Dragqueen Steelers
Let me guess Adam. You been wanting to do that all year.

TheRev

First Grade
Gah dont go turning on the coach, we have had a wonderful year and someone has to lose. We wouldn't be in the Top-8 with this years squad and Browny at the helm.

His tactics would be fine if we didnt drop the ball and had a bit more finishing talent out wide, he can only deal with what hes got. How many years have we wanted a Dragons side that does more grinding and defense, they just sadly fell out of form at the wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.