What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TNA Impact Thread **Spoilers**

MrCharisma

Bench
I'd hope Jericho did sign with them, he does deserve Sting money and he would bring alot of credibility and attention from fans to the company...

I think alot of people see TNA as the England of Rugby League... just for has beens and WWE rejects (Jeff Jerrett, D'Lo Brown, X-Pac... etc) whilst I don't think that, I think Jericho would break alot of those sterotypes and create a pathway for more higher classed names

Ben

Bench
but these has beens put off much of a better show than what WWE are currently doing. TNA's worst pay-per-views are still better than WWE pay-per-views excluding WrestleMania and Royal Rumble.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I tend to agree with you, Ben. From a card quality standpoint, TNA pay-per-views are (generally) leagues ahead of the WWEs average ones. Last month's was something of an anamoly with some tragic booking.

On the other hand, however, people like to see stars - and at the moment TNA's only real 'stars' are Sting, Christian Cage, Samoa Joe, and AJ Styles (in my estimation). Every star helps, even if they're former WWE talent.

Misanthrope

Staff member
TNA have no storylines though, they just book good matches. They are definitely in need of better writers.

I take it you've not watched TNA at all then? They've got plenty of storylines, what they don't have is time for them to pan out. Currently you've got:

- Four way feud for the title involving Jarrett (c), Christian Cage, Monty Brown, and now Sting is in the mix
- Samoa Joe and AJ Styles recently feuded because Samoa Joe had forsaken the rules of the X-Division by brutally assaulting Christopher Daniels post match
- Raven was recently 'fired' after having to face a string of mystery opponents due to a long standing feud with the Championship Committee
- Jackie Gayda is somehow involved in a love triangle involving herself, Jarrett, and Raven
- Team 3-D (The Dudleyz) have bad blood with both Team Canada and America's Most Wanted, both of whom are allied with Jarrett

ParraDude_Jay said:
How can TNA justify paying 46 year old Sting huge money for a one year commitment but they won't give Jericho what he's worth? Jericho is twice the worker Sting is, and his name is just as big..

You obviously no nothing about wrestling, for gods sake Sting is huge, he isnt quite up there with Hogan and Flair but his name is massive all the same.

Jericho doesnt even compare.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
CWBush said:
I take it you've not watched TNA at all then? They've got plenty of storylines, what they don't have is time for them to pan out. Currently you've got:

- Four way feud for the title involving Jarrett (c), Christian Cage, Monty Brown, and now Sting is in the mix
- Samoa Joe and AJ Styles recently feuded because Samoa Joe had forsaken the rules of the X-Division by brutally assaulting Christopher Daniels post match
- Raven was recently 'fired' after having to face a string of mystery opponents due to a long standing feud with the Championship Committee
- Jackie Gayda is somehow involved in a love triangle involving herself, Jarrett, and Raven
- Team 3-D (The Dudleyz) have bad blood with both Team Canada and America's Most Wanted, both of whom are allied with Jarrett

Where are the storylines? All I see is Jarrett's backstage politics at work.

Raven's firing is the only thing with any interest there (although from what I've heard that's due to something backstage, like giving Raven a break or something). Christian's involved in the title feud because he came out demanding a shot, Monty Brown didn't like him cutting in line and "pounced" him, that's e-fed quality material there.

TNA's writers are pretty slack compared to WWE for mine, though WWE are pretty bad too.

Sir Knight82 said:
You obviously no nothing about wrestling, for gods sake Sting is huge, he isnt quite up there with Hogan and Flair but his name is massive all the same.

Jericho doesnt even compare.

Your lack of knowledge of Wrestling compares only to your lack of knowledge of Rugby League.

Where did I say Sting was a minor name? I said Jericho's name is as big as Sting's, and that's true. The amount of fans Sting will draw to TNA is no more than what Jericho would, and RIGHT NOW Jericho is actually a good wrestler unlike Sting. Sting's living off the rep he made all those years ago, Jericho's in his prime.

Plus Jericho would be working alot more than Sting. They've just given Sting time off for crying out loud, after one VERY mediocre match they've written him into a retirement storyline. Things like that will keep TNA well behind WWE.

It is not true, Stings someone that people have been praying to come back for one last run and though Jericho is awesome(I am a massive fan of his) his recognition and reputation outshine Jericho's by a country mile.

Sting WILL increase by rates substantially, Jericho will add prestige and is a great part of the puzzle while hiring someone like Sting will bring automatic prestige and legitimacy to TNA.

And I know plenty about League thanks.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Christian's involved in the title feud because he came out demanding a shot, Monty Brown didn't like him cutting in line and "pounced" him, that's e-fed quality material there.

Yes, because a former World's Strongest Man just coming out and assaulting someone is brilliant writing. Or there's Vince McMahon re-hashing the babyface vs. man in power thing for the millionth time. And The Boogeyman, a slice of writing brilliance. Let's have him bite of a girl's mole!

Pro wrestling doesn't need proper writers when there are still idiots who watch the WWE and marvel at the storytelling.

I didnt mind the mark henry v batista thing, Batista was constantly outmuscling his opponents so it was good to see that someone came in who could own him and belt him around and have him have to come up with tactics to counteract his opponents power rather then vice versa.

Henry still eats a dick though.

I've never seen TNA. Is Sting already wrestling for them? How is he doing? Whatever happened to his movie career? Wasn't he a stuntman, or a bit player or something?

Actually I just found this:

STING LEAVES ON HIS OWN TERMS
It was certainly an emotional ending to "iMPACT!" on Saturday night on SpikeTV, as the wrestling icon known as Sting surprised - and saddened fans - by announcing he was walking away from the sport of wrestling on his own terms. The star talked candidly about his memories competing all over the world, stating that his match with Christian Cage against Jeff Jarrett and The Alpha Male was indeed the "Final Resolution" in his amazing career. After telling the fans he "loved them all", Sting placed his black bat in the middle of the ring and walked back up the entrance ramp for the last time in his career, where he was met by various members of the TNA roster including AJ Styles and Christian Cage. It appears as if one of the biggest names in wrestling history has finally closed the book on his career - and he did it on his own terms.

http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/fullnews2.php?all=435

Is this true, or a storyline?

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's a story. He's going to fade into the background, Jarrett will (probably) beat Christian for the title at Against All Odds, and then Sting will return to feud with him and (one would hope) get the strap off of him.

Ben

Bench
It has to be a storyline. I can't see Sting leaving now after only wrestling once. TNA storylines are probably not as good as WWE, but they have some interesting ideas that just haven't been executed properly. For example, a New Age Outlaw(James Gang) feud with Latin American Exchange has been built up for weeks but it was a big mistake not to have the two teams square off at Final Resolution. It was an anti-climax to a very promising looking feud.

CWBush said:
It's a story. He's going to fade into the background, Jarrett will (probably) beat Christian for the title at Against All Odds, and then Sting will return to feud with him and (one would hope) get the strap off of him.

Maybe he'll return by swooping down from the ceiling. Or is that banned since the Owen Hart incident?

Eelectrica

Referee
CanadianSteve said:
Maybe he'll return by swooping down from the ceiling. Or is that banned since the Owen Hart incident?
I don't see why they couldn't do it. From what I understand of the Owen Hart situation it's something that he had no interest in doing and sadly messed it up.

Sting on the other hand knows what he's doing and won't screw up if they do it.

As for the TNA story lines, I don't mind them. They seem to play it fairly safe in that I doubt they'll be doing any 'live sex celebrations' any time soon. But despite playing it safe they still manage to generate interesr such as the Sting goodbye angle. It's a shock and I'm curious to see where it goes.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The other thing people need to bear in mind is that Raw and Smackdown have a good two hours (minus ads) to do their thing, plus Heat & Velocity to add to that. TNA has just the hour (which is heavy on advertisements) in which to keep things flowing. They do pretty well given their time constraints, I think.

Raider_69

Post Whore
just downloaded and watch Somoa Joe V Chris Daniels V AJ Styles for the X-Division title... and all i can say is wow... one of the best matches ive ever had the pleasure of viewing

Would like to get ahold of more of Chris Daniels, AJ Styles, Somoa Joe or CM Punk matches
(BTW Somoa Joe could easily be a credible WWE Champion)