What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meltiger

First Grade
Who writes things like that? I can't believe the fantasy world they've got going down there, it's like a mass delusion.

Ha ha the Herald Sun are a promotional arm of the AFL everyone knows that

On that issue, the truth lies in the middle. The AFL proposed terms, Qantas told them to get nicked on that clause snd the league walked away.

Eld is right though in the reporting being dishonest.

El Diablo

Post Whore
well just reading this seems disturbing http://www.vexnews.com/news/6703/fi...-journalist-in-female-toilets-rocks-football/

ONE OF SILENCE
While the Herald Sun has reported on his antics in general terms, it appears to have decided not to report on the sexual harassment incident at the request of the journalist, Herald Sun Confidential reporter [deleted].

Carlton sources say that she believes that complaining about the issue would not have a positive impact on her career or on the newspaper’s relationship with footballers and Carlton in particular. Carlton is believed to be very grateful about the way the Herald Sun – Melbourne’s leading newspaper – has sensitively handled what could have been an explosive situation between them. While this might be theirview, we have also heard competing views that suggest her employer and the AFL itself are extremely unimpressed with Fevola’s actions on the night and the approach his management and even the Club have taken with the issue.

what kind of powers do the AFL have if journalists allegedly fear reporting alleged sexual assaults?

meltiger

First Grade
I think that's what people underestimate at times though. The level of power they actually do wield down here. You actually have to live here to truely understand.

Doesn't make it right of course, and one would expect a news outlet to fight that. But they just want to make money and to be seen to be taking on the AFL isn't a positive down here.

Stormcap

Juniors
We get very similar ratings to the AFL and on top of that we have some extra massive rating matches like SOO (almost guarantees 3 week wins which is pretty huge).

Our deal should be as high as the AFL's, any less and the person who is doing the negotiating must be a complete mong.

Edit: Also im sick of hearing about how the IC will be in before the start of the season. Weren't we hearing that last year? Don't bother saying when you think it will be done until you have some idea. It looks very amatuer to continue delaying the dates like this.

Th trouble is we are selling 16 hrs of programming a week to their 27. SOO is big buts its only 6 hrs a year, With simliar ratings we should expect to get 16/27ths the money add in origin etc and about 2/3rds would be about right.

We got just over half last time, so 2/3rd what the AFL get will actually be a good return even though noone here will admit it. Anymore than that is just dreaming.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Th trouble is we are selling 16 hrs of programming a week to their 27. SOO is big buts its only 6 hrs a year, With simliar ratings we should expect to get 16/27ths the money add in origin etc and about 2/3rds would be about right.

We got just over half last time, so 2/3rd what the AFL get will actually be a good return even though noone here will admit it. Anymore than that is just dreaming.

Internationals that rate higher than all AFL games bar the GF.

We also have city/country and the u20's comp on TV.

meltiger

First Grade
Add in tests and the gap reduces.

More prgramming time means nothing when getting beat in the ratings by the other

& if we get our act together and expand it's 18 nit 16 per week

docbrown

Coach

I disagree.

Looking at their existing and upcoming deal - there is decreased value for Fox when they have to compete against 10 twice on Saturdays and again 7 twice on Sundays with the same product. The overall "wall to wall" block coverage for AFL is currently only 15 hours. This means on Saturdays and Sundays they struggle to main tain a follow on viewership which is already a struggle due to the game length.

If Fox changes to a Saturday (2,5,7) arrangement and they bring in Monday football, they will still be competing in 2 slots and generating 21 hours of block coverage.

Compare this to the NRL who ensure that networks don't compete in the same time slot. With the introduction of a 9th game, this will increase to 18 hour block coverage and potentially with 3 non-competing follow-on slots (Fridays, Fox Saturdays, Sundays).

Considering then that the NRL's audiences aren't competing, that their current half-nation ratings > AFL's nationwide ratings, that the NRL season lasts longer, has more additional rep games, that 7/10 are buying their regional affiliates and that the NRL's heartland advertising $'s > AFL's...

I really don't think it's an open and shut case of simply two-thirds.

applesauce

Bench

If you want to use ratios to calculate the TV rights worth. I suggest you look at the ratio of games on Foxtel and the ratings ratio between the 2 sports. Foxtel have the money to throw at televised sport, which one is there bread & butter?

nrlnrl

First Grade
Posted By docbrown
icon1.gif
Re: The TV rights thread

I used to do some media analysis but I still pay attention to what's happening.

With the amount of informative & detailed replies you have on this subject it's pretty impressive for someone who used to do some tv analysis - the terms you use seem like someone who still works for a media outlet. They sound like someone who's come from the negotiating table. Are you sure you're not planting seeds for one of the networks ? :sarcasm:

Green Machine

First Grade
I don’t know why, but I watched that crappy Channel 9 show 20/1. I usually stay clear such trash. Maybe because they did it on sporting songs tonight. Most of those Channel 9 personalities are dickheads. Everytime Rugby League was mentioned, some of these areswipes had a smart arse comment about rugby league. No badmouthing the AFL of course. The NRL CEO should be requesting an apology,

andrew057

First Grade
Television deal in focus as club chairmen have Gallop in their sights

Brad Walter

February 2, 2011

CLUB chairmen are considering asking NRL chief executive David Gallop to a meeting to discuss comments he made earlier this week about the independent commission.
The meeting has been proposed in response to his comments in the Sun-Herald last Sunday about the independent commission, the next television deal and the salary cap.

In particular, the club chairmen are concerned that Gallop said he had been talking to TV networks for more than a year and suggested a deal could be finalised by mid-year.

Gallop has since assured them the deal will not be done before the independent commission comes to fruition and said no formal talks had been held. But club chairman are still keen to discuss the issue.

The club chairmen made it clear at their inaugural meeting at Canterbury League Club on August 4 that there would be no negotiations that affect the ''broader interests of the game'' until the independent commission was in place.

The chairmen believe the commission should decide on television rights, online and other new media rights, and setting the salary cap.

It is believed the clubs feel former Billabong, Qantas, Brambles and NSW TAB boss Gary Pemberton is better suited to handling the television negotiations and want him on the independent commission.

Pemberton, who was chairman of the Sydney Organising Committee for Olympic Games, negotiated domestic and international broadcast deals for the 2000 Games.

The Herald was told last night it had been ''mooted'' that Gallop should be asked to attend the next meeting of club chairmen but it is yet to be decided if he will.

The chairmen had hoped to meet this week but have been all available on the same date.

Since their first meeting six months ago, the chairmen have become a powerful group within the game and their influence is set to grow when the independent commission is in place.

The inaugural meeting was organised to consider ways to hasten the transfer of power from the ARL and News Ltd to the new body.

Frustrated with the pace of negotiations, they convinced ARL chairman Colin Love to stand down and took control of the NSWRL board at last December's annual elections.

Within days, a constitution for the new Australian Rugby League Commission was finalised and South Sydney chairman Nicholas Pappas has been given a seat at the negotiation table to decide the eight commissioners as a representative of the clubs.
Newly installed ARL chairman John Chalk, who was backed by the club chairmen, will also be involved, along with News Ltd chief operating officer Peter Macourt and QRL director Terry Mackenroth.

The chairmen had previously resolved to block plans for News Ltd and the ARL to choose commissioners before handing over control of the game, and the Herald has been told that the clubs have already picked the eight people they believe should be on the commission and expect them to be appointed.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ve-gallop-in-their-sights-20110201-1achs.html

applesauce

Bench
It's sad the most important period of the game only Fairfax give any coverage too.

Why are NEWS scared of reporting it? A conflict of interest? They have been one for over a decade... Why start with the ethics & morals now?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't help but be worried about these type of statements or when club chairmen make ill informed comments like Crowe and Searle on expansion

Since their first meeting six months ago, the chairmen have become a powerful group within the game and their influence is set to grow when the independent commission is in place.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One possible outcome is 10 buy NRL to really move ONE HD to the next viewing level as a 24 hr sports channel, they have just launched One website as well so could go for internet rights, Fox get the rest. SOO and Tests go with 9. This would probably give us the biggest possible deal I feel and the best advantages in terms of national FTA HD coverage, especially if 10 drop AFL to do it. Packer has his fingers in both 10 and Foxsports so they won;t be trying to outbid each other but may collude to share the rights under his guidance.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I can't help but be worried about these type of statements or when club chairmen make ill informed comments like Crowe and Searle on expansion

When you hear things like if the clubs don't like the 8 commissioners selected, they'll all be sacked on the 1st day and replaced by the list of 8 that the clubs are making on their own, you kind of get the feeling that the 16 clubs will have near dictatorial control of the game as long as they vote as a block.

Having said that, if in the tv rights negotiations the networks say they'll give enough extra $$$ for a 9th game that it will make the grant to the clubs bigger, even when taking into account the 17th and 18th club, there's no reason why the clubs will be against expansion in that case.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Here's part an interview with David Gallop from today's Telegraph ( the entire article is in a separate thread ):
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...or-a-rosy-future/story-e6frexnr-1225998330287

RE it is, the state of the game, in David Gallop's own words. Are we being left behind by the AFL? Will the game expand in 2013? What's going on with the independent commission and the upcoming TV deal? And what about the use of prescription drugs in sport in the wake of the St Kilda scandal? Paul Crawley sat down with the NRL boss for this revealing interview***
Tell the fans, when will the independent commission be up and running?
I'm not involved in the process at this stage. I'm hopeful that the first eight commissioners will be appointed in the next month or so. The difficulty at the moment is managing the weight of expectation. People need to be reminded that the effects of the restructuring of the administration of the game will involve short term, medium term and long term [decisions].

What impact does the delay have on any talk of expansion for 2013?

What I have said for some time is that by the middle of 2011 we will be ready to look at expansion, whether we decide to postpone it or put a date on it.

Michael Searle said the other day it wouldn't happen for at least five years - can you see any new teams entering the competition in 2013?

I certainly think the impact on the existing 16 clubs and the game's development programs are paramount to the question. If there was to be a new team, as I've said to the various bid teams, they need to have a sustainable model not just for their own district but they need to be bringing something to the table that everyone can benefit from. Be it increasing the game's national profile which will help with broadcasting and sponsorship, or it's shoring up a strategic area the game has to be conscious of, they are the types of things that need to be considered.

I come from the Central Coast, they first talked about taking a team to the Central Coast in 1983, it is now 2011. We don't count the Northern Eagles. Has the NRL turned its back on the Coast? Do the fans up there have a right to feel frustrated?

I think the whole demise of the North Sydney Bears, the fact that they were going to move to the Central Coast, that is a frustrating episode in the game's history. The merit of a team at Gosford is obvious, you've got a ready-made stadium, you've got a population that loves the game, you've got potential to reconnect to the traditional North Sydney fans, the corporate support of the North Shore. But to be fair, they are still working on their financial model, I think they would say it is not quite ready to present. I have met with them since Christmas and they would say they are still fine-tuning their financial model.

I interviewed Billy Slater the other day and, living in Melbourne, he says sometimes it feels like rugby league is being left in the AFL's wake in respect to planning for the future. What do you say to Billy?

The games are in different phases, we expanded to the Gold Coast relatively recently. Even Melbourne Storm are relatively new.

Does the game now need to expand?

The game needs to have a quality competition. Every game needs to be high quality, and that's the thing that our broadcasters and sponsors recognise ... having said that, financially we haven't got our existing clubs to a point where they are necessarily flush with money and that is a concern if you're considering expansion.

Where are negotiations at for a new TV deal?

No TV negotiations have started and they won't start until the commission is in place. There has been some mischievous reporting about that. It is in everyone's interest, including the current partners, to do the best by the game. Naturally, we are talking to the networks and reminding them what the game brings in terms of ratings and interest. And the reply back is great. They have all shown interest and indicated that when you are ready to talk, we are ready to talk.

Will you demand more control of the scheduling so that the TV bosses don't always dictate what day games will be played?

A fixed schedule is a goal of ours and we need to access the dollar impact of that.

They will always push for total control?

The clubs and fans would like to know with certainty what day their teams are playing, we recognise that. On the other hand, the current scheduling arrangement does give us the opportunity to have the big games on TV and that's worth money, to the broadcasters and to us. I envisage we will talk to the broadcasters about how they value a fixed schedule and how they value a rolling schedule that we use. And then the commission will have to make a decision about which one of them to go for.

Does the fact the commission is not up and running jeopardise the NRL's bargaining power?

Not necessarily, they still recognise our game's power. They know we are coming up - and they have all indicated they are interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts