What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's a rumour going around...

LeagueNut

First Grade
... that the Warriors are going to play as many as 5 or 6 "home" games at Eden Park from next season.

I guess there's a financial benefit in it for them, so it would be bloody hard to say no. Looks like the Mt Smart days could be all over soon.

Are we ready for the move??

Would prefere they didnt but if its for the coin the for sure. What was your experiance like LN. Hard to get home from traffic, atmosphere etc

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
As has been said elsewhere, the crowd was once again full of moronic deadsh*ts, and you could probably employ a team of researchers for a decade to try and work out why. Something about the Eden Park/league mix just inexplicably leads to douchebaggery on an epic scale.

JAG

Juniors
... that the Warriors are going to play as many as 5 or 6 "home" games at Eden Park from next season.

I guess there's a financial benefit in it for them, so it would be bloody hard to say no. Looks like the Mt Smart days could be all over soon.

Are we ready for the move??

If it is true, I hope they'll have the balls to make it public BEFORE they close off the date for renewing season passes!

IF it's true I won't be renewing. For a lot of reasons, going to that many games at Eden Park would just be a non-starter for me.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
awesome, i'm only going to have a limited number of games to go to anyway, and this will no doubt reduce the number even more. if true.

i've already felt really disconnected from the start of this season, i hope i don't drift away from the club even further.

JoeD

First Grade
Would hope they offer a mt smart only membership. I agree with Manu, part of the problem are all the meatheads. One of many cringeworthy moments of the night was listening to half a dozen middle aged guys (ie should know better) mock the Indian train conductor by talking to him in bad Indian accents.

The view is so much worse as well. We had seats half way up the lower half of ASB and it was still too far away.

Train while (reasonably) efficient was so uncomfortable. I thought my pregnant sister might pass out from the heat at one stage. Anyone know why the train only goes about 25 km/h between morningside and britomart?

LeagueNut

First Grade
What was your experiance like LN. Hard to get home from traffic, atmosphere etc
I'm on the North Shore so I caught one of the free buses there and back. People were packed in and it took ages to get away from the stadium afterwards but it wasn't an uncomfortable trip. It's definitely a lot easier to get away from Mt Smart, but maybe that's one of the problems - they'd rather people hang around and spend money somewhere.

The atmosphere was OK - definitely better than the Kiwis game, but not as "intense" as Mt Smart can be.

The seating plans were stupid. I'm in Row 2 at Mt Smart, so they put me in Row 2 at Eden Park - and then put about twenty rows of temporary seating in front of me. It's too far away from the action, half the attraction is being able to yell "encouragement" at the opposition players and touch judges but there's no chance they'd be able to hear me.

As has been said elsewhere, the crowd was once again full of moronic deadsh*ts, and you could probably employ a team of researchers for a decade to try and work out why. Something about the Eden Park/league mix just inexplicably leads to douchebaggery on an epic scale.
I really didn't notice anything different in the crowd that you wouldn't see in a big crowd at Mt Smart. We were in the stand full of season ticket holders and everyone seemed to be there for the game, and not to get mindlessly sloshed.

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
11-15k in a 60k seater stadium? Ok.
This is a valid point too. If they overdo it, it'll lose the novelty factor really fast and the regular Mt Smart crowds will look pathetic in a giant stadium.

I reckon 1 "marquee" game a year and maybe finals matches could be moved, but otherwise leave us at Mt Smart.

playdaball

Bench
This is a valid point too. If they overdo it, it'll lose the novelty factor really fast and the regular Mt Smart crowds will look pathetic in a giant stadium.

I reckon 1 "marquee" game a year and maybe finals matches could be moved, but otherwise leave us at Mt Smart.

Agree... I caught public transport but probably will drive next time.

The atmosphere at Eden Park was actually very good and the facilities far better than Mt Smart but you are a longer way from the ground.

ozbash

Referee
If it is true, I hope they'll have the balls to make it public BEFORE they close off the date for renewing season passes!

IF it's true I won't be renewing. For a lot of reasons, going to that many games at Eden Park would just be a non-starter for me.

ditto

Skinner

Coach
I think that the novelty would quickly wear off (it may have already done so). As someone else has mentioned, when they hit the slump and the fairweather fans depart, it's going to look pretty stupid.

Juju

Juniors
Rd 1 each year?, sure. cash in on the novelty factor and good weather.
More games?, hell no.

Eden Park is just doesn't feel right for league. I went to both the 4Ns and Saturday and just isn't right.

I'm all for the occasion and extra venue for the club but would be very against a more permanent change

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I think that the novelty would quickly wear off (it may have already done so). As someone else has mentioned, when they hit the slump and the fairweather fans depart, it's going to look pretty stupid.

and they're probably at risk of pissing off the 10,000 or so core crowd that go to mt smart no matter what....which leaves them an even smaller crowd than before.

Skinner

Coach

Totally off topic JAG, but is that Leslie Phillips in your avatar ??

One of many cringeworthy moments of the night was listening to half a dozen middle aged guys (ie should know better) mock the Indian train conductor by talking to him in bad Indian accents.

Did you step in and tell them (no matter how many) to STFU or else you will dish out some Curry in the Hurry on their faces?

Man if I were there I would of said something, or done something
Cant stand RACIST scum, that sh*t really gets to me

JoeD

First Grade
They were half a carriage away and it was already packed so there wasn't much I cold do.

Latest posts