What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

saint frank

Juniors
Tigers statement, re: Tim Moltzen: "Whilst it was announced earlier this year by St George-Illawarra Dragons that Tim had signed a new contract with them to commence in 2012, Wests Tigers has not granted him a release from his existing contract with the Club that expires at the end of next season.

The matter is ongoing and the Club will work with Tim’s Manager and the Dragons to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."

This doesn't make sense the tigers a heading into a legal mindfeild as the NRL cannot register a contract of a player with any club unless the previous club releases the player. The red V in consultation with moltzens manager have provided the NRL with a signed contract which they have registered for the 2012 season. They shouldn't have released this statement and my bet it hasn't been reveiwed by their legal team before the media unit sent it out, my guess is that they will retract statement in the next couple of days.

Father Ted

First Grade
Tigers statement, re: Tim Moltzen: "Whilst it was announced earlier this year by St George-Illawarra Dragons that Tim had signed a new contract with them to commence in 2012, Wests Tigers has not granted him a release from his existing contract with the Club that expires at the end of next season.

The matter is ongoing and the Club will work with Tim’s Manager and the Dragons to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."

This doesn't make sense the tigers a heading into a legal mindfeild as the NRL cannot register a contract of a player with any club unless the previous club releases the player. The red V in consultation with moltzens manager have provided the NRL with a signed contract which they have registered for the 2012 season. They shouldn't have released this statement and my bet it hasn't been reveiwed by their legal team before the media unit sent it out, my guess is that they will retract statement in the next couple of days.

Comes down to this they don't have a half for next year with Lui leaving.

innsaneink

Referee
So his manager has signed a contract with the Dragons for 2012 while Moltzen was still contracted to the Tigers for 2012? And presumably any agreement for an early release from the Tigers wasn't in writing and/or done at the same time?

Why are the Tigers only saying he isn't released now when they knew he was intending to leave months ago? Is it common for managers to assume a release will be issued automatically or done with a handshake? What were the Dragons told about his contractual status?

If we were selling cars/loans/etc and not footy players Consumer Affairs or the ACCC would be all over this. As I said earlier, bring on the IC and clean this type of bullshit up. It does nothing for the game and impacts players and fans from both clubs.
This is a segment of a post dug up from WTs forum from back in July....no link attached to the post.
TIM MOLTZEN is likely to secure a controversial release from Wests Tigers today, four days after his signing was trumpeted by St George Illawarra - a move sparking a war of words between the 22-year-old's current club and his future one.

Moltzen's manager, Martin Tauber, will meet with Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys today over the utility back's future. He has already secured a verbal agreement from Humphreys that Moltzen will be released from the final year of his Tigers contract, enabling him to officially join the Dragons and potentially be a replacement for Darius Boyd at fullback.
Tauber spoke with Dragons chief executive Peter Doust and next year's coach Steve Price yesterday and assured them the Tigers would not stop the move. ''They're not going to stand in his way,'' Tauber said.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''There's no issue. The club [Wests Tigers] has been very good about it, and I'm meeting with the chief executive [today]. All being well, all the issues will be resolved and we'll move on with Tim. They gave us a verbal agreement.''

innsaneink

Referee
"Tim Moltzen and his Manager have signed a three-year deal with the Dragons," said Doust.

"We have not had any conversations or received any other information from either Tim or his Manager that would suggest he would not be at the Dragons in 2012."

Tims not bad but tauber cant tackle for shit

slammingsam

Juniors
Moltzen will be staying a Tiger. The Dragons have already lost him as there was no official paperwork for them to use seeing as the Tigers hadn't granted him a release at that stage and they still havent.

Father Ted

First Grade
Moltzen will be staying a Tiger. The Dragons have already lost him as there was no official paperwork for them to use seeing as the Tigers hadn't granted him a release at that stage and they still havent.

I'm not sure thats the case . Did'nt the manager say he'd lodged a contract with the Dragons for next year or is it a case of he had a signed contract not yet lodged with the NRL?

getsmarty

Immortal
Club Statement Regarding Moltzen Signing

5/10/2011 6:51:10 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons CEO Peter Doust On Wednesday issued the following regarding the signing of Tim Moltzen:
"Tim Moltzen and his Manager have signed a three-year deal with the Dragons," said Doust.
"We have not had any conversations or received any other information from either Tim or his Manager that would suggest he would not be at the Dragons in 2012."

What does everyone make of this as opposed to the tigers Statement????

Last edited:

Collateral

Coach

In which case Moltzen will not be playing for either club next year and he & his manager will be facing massive legal consequences from the Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
Wests Tigers have sensationally revealed they never released Tim Moltzen from his NRL contract to join St George Illawarra in 2012.
The Tigers have set the scene for a fiery battle for the talented utility's services next season, essentially declaring Moltzen's deal with the Dragons invalid as he remains under contract with the Tigers.
It was revealed earlier on Wednesday that the Tigers utility could remain at the club next season after seeking a release from his deal to join St George Illawarra, which was announced by the Dragons earlier this year.
Tigers officials met with Moltzen's manager Martin Tauber on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the possibility of him staying.
Tauber and St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust both said in separate statements on Wednesday that Moltzen had signed a deal with the Dragons.
But on Wednesday evening, the Tigers released a short statement stating they never agreed to Moltzen's early departure to join the Dragons next season - with his original Tigers contract valid until the end of 2012.
"Whilst it was announced earlier this year by St George-Illawarra Dragons that Tim had signed a new contract with them to commence in 2012, Wests Tigers has not granted him a release from his existing contract with the club that expires at the end of next season," the statement said.
"The matter is ongoing and the club will work with Tim's manager and the Dragons to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."
Prior to walking into his meeting with the club, Tauber admitted he was in the dark about the full extent of the situation having just returned from overseas, but said "he has definitely signed with the Dragons".
"I only got back from New York yesterday afternoon and to be honest, I have no idea what it is all about," Tauber told AAP.
"I've got a meeting with the Tigers today and that's when I will know exactly what is going on.
"He has definitely signed with the Dragons, but now there is talk of a release so I am now off to find out more."
Doust denied any knowledge of Moltzen wanting out of his deal with the club.
"Tim Moltzen and his manager have signed a three-year deal with the Dragons," Doust said in a statement released by the club on Wednesday night.
"We have not had any conversations or received any other information from either Tim or his manager that would suggest he would not be at the Dragons in 2012."
Moltzen agreed to a contract with the Dragons in July in a move that started a war of words between the joint ventures.
The decision to offload him upset many of the Tigers' playing group, with star five-eighth and Moltzen's housemate Benji Marshall, particularly outraged.
At the time, Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys accused the Dragons of being arrogant and disrespectful, claiming they announced the signing without his club's knowledge.
Doust hit back, saying they were bemused at the comments and that they had acted in good faith.
The Tigers had seen Robert Lui as their long-term halfback.
However, the 20-year looks set to be shown the door following an alleged assault on his partner after the club's mad Monday celebrations.
His departure would see the club without a recognised, experienced halfback on their books.

LINK: http://www.news.com.au/tim-moltzen-...-at-wests-tigers/story-fn2mcuj6-1226159185322

Last edited by a moderator:

Father Ted

First Grade
This would be an ideal time for the NRL to come in and say who has the legal contract on this kid for next year.

getsmarty

Immortal
Tim Moltzen seeks release from St George-Illawarra contract in attempt to remain at Wests Tigers
By Ian McCullough AAP October 05, 2011 8:47PM
Wests Tigers have sensationally revealed they never released Tim Moltzen from his NRL contract to join St George Illawarra in 2012.

The Tigers have set the scene for a fiery battle for the talented utility's services, essentially declaring Moltzen's deal with the Dragons invalid as he remains under contract with the Tigers.
It was revealed earlier on Wednesday that the Tigers utility could remain at the club after seeking a release from his deal to join St.George Illawarra, which was announced by the Dragons earlier in the year.
Tigers officials met with Moltzen's manager Martin Tauber on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the possibility of him staying.
Tauber and St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust both said in separate statements on Wednesday that Moltzen had signed a deal with the Dragons.

But on Wednesday evening, the Tigers released a short statement stating they never agreed to Moltzen's early departure to join the Dragons - with his original Tigers contract valid until the end of 2012.
"Whilst it was announced earlier this year by St George-Illawarra Dragons that Tim had signed a new contract with them to commence in 2012, Wests Tigers has not granted him a release from his existing contract with the club that expires at the end of next season," the statement said.
"The matter is ongoing and the club will work with Tim's manager and the Dragons to resolve the situation as quickly as possible."
Prior to walking into his meeting with the club, Tauber admitted he was in the dark about the full extent of the situation having just returned from overseas, but said "he has definitely signed with the Dragons".
"I only got back from New York yesterday afternoon and to be honest, I have no idea what it is all about," Tauber told AAP.
"I've got a meeting with the Tigers today and that's when I will know exactly what is going on.
"He has definitely signed with the Dragons, but now there is talk of a release so I am now off to find out more."
Doust denied any knowledge of Moltzen wanting out of his deal with the club.
"Tim Moltzen and his manager have signed a three-year deal with the Dragons," Doust said in a statement released by the club on Wednesday night.
"We have not had any conversations or received any other information from either Tim or his manager that would suggest he would not be at the Dragons in 2012."
Moltzen agreed to a contract with the Dragons in July in a move that started a war of words between the joint ventures.
The decision to offload him upset many of the Tigers' playing group, with star five-eighth and Moltzen's housemate Benji Marshall , particularly outraged.
At the time, Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys accused the Dragons of being arrogant and disrespectful, claiming they announced the signing without his club's knowledge.
Doust hit back, saying they were bemused at the comments and that they had acted in good faith.
However, the 20-year looks set to be shown the door following an alleged assault on his partner after the club's mad Monday celebrations.
His departure would see the club without a recognised, experienced halfback on their books.

getsmarty

Immortal
By Tim Clarke 5 October 2011 07:56PM EST

WESTS Tigers say they never released Tim Moltzen from his deal to play with them next year - as his three-year agreement with the Dragons hangs by a thread.

In a bizarre turn of events, Moltzen appears to have changed his mind about playing with St George in 2012 - leaving the Tigers and Dragons to battle out a nasty tug-of-war
The Tigers put their side saying "whilst it was announced earlier this year by St George-Illawarra Dragons that Tim had signed a new contract with them to commence in 2012, Wests Tigers has not granted him a release from his existing contract with the club that expires at the end of next season."
"The matter is ongoing and the Club will work with Tim’s Manager and the Dragons to resolve the situation as quickly as possible," a statement said.
Dragons chief executive Peter Doust denied any knowledge of Moltzen wanting out of his deal with the club.
The decision to offload him upset many of the Tigers' playing group, with star five-eighth and Moltzen's housemate Benji Marshall, particularly outraged.
Prior to today's meeting, Tauber admitted he was in the dark about the full extent of the situation having just returned from overseas.

redvwhite

Juniors
Bennett leaves and drama right away...

So what do we do if 200k+ is freed up for our squad next year, who do we sign up, any ideas? Reece Simmonds?

Father Ted

First Grade
Bennett leaves and drama right away...

So what do we do if 200k+ is freed up for our squad next year, who do we sign up, any ideas? Reece Simmonds?

I think it's sometimes a great thing to have a few bob in the till. Imagine if there's a drama at another club next year and a player and club part ways and then imagine we are the ONLY club under the cap . Failing that keep the money and have plenty to offer a Maloney when he's available or even to weaken another club for example by offering a Cherry-Evans big bucks forcing Manly to pay overs to keep him and causing them to lose other players .Thats a fun thing you can do to multiple clubs until you do sign someone .:D Having said all that I'm yet to be convinced Moltzen won't be there?

redvwhite

Juniors
I think it's sometimes a great thing to have a few bob in the till. Imagine if there's a drama at another club next year and a player and club part ways and then imagine we are the ONLY club under the cap . Failing that keep the money and have plenty to offer a Maloney when he's available or even to weaken another club for example by offering a Cherry-Evans big bucks forcing Manly to pay overs to keep him and causing them to lose other players .Thats a fun thing you can do to multiple clubs until you do sign someone .:D Having said all that I'm yet to be convinced Moltzen won't be there?

Haha quick! make Father Ted treasurer!!!

Fordy20

Juniors
Having said all that I'm yet to be convinced Moltzen won't be there?

I'm yet to be convinced that Lui will be punted. People are acting like Lui leaving is a forgone conclusion, but there's been no statement made by the club on whether he'll be playing for them next year. They have also supported him in the past when he was charged the first time. In addition to that, they've invested a significant amount of time in Lui's development and the decision for him to wear the #7.

I've got no doubt that Moltzen wants to stay at the Tigers and play in the halves with Benji, but what Tim wants and what the current situation is are two totally different things.