What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen ... (war is over)

redvwhite

Juniors
I am no expert on NRL contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if he can worm his way out of it. Either way if he doesn't want to be with us that is a worry, but our club better not come out of this the loser - compensation at the very least or perhaps a trade for another decent player. It was a brilliant piece of recruiting by our club, timely and accurate. Doust and Co. better stand up from themselves. We need a player like Motzen to replace the void left by Boyd and Gasnier and anyone who thinks we are a half a chance without recruiting wisely is kidding themselves, it's basic mathematics.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I am no expert on NRL contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if he can worm his way out of it. Either way if he doesn't want to be with us that is a worry, but our club better not come out of this the loser - compensation at the very least or perhaps a trade for another decent player. It was a brilliant piece of recruiting by our club, timely and accurate. Doust and Co. better stand up from themselves. We need a player like Motzen to replace the void left by Boyd and Gasnier and anyone who thinks we are a half a chance without recruiting wisely is kidding themselves, it's basic mathematics.

Agreed. We need him for next year. We got him cheap which was even better. Apparently Peter Douche is going to make a statement in the next hour or two. I wouldn't read into what he says too much though. It'll probably be along the lines of "Tim Moltzen is under contract with St George next year and that's all there is to it." Then in a weeks time they'll run a midday press conference and we'll get the whole "We wish Tim all the best in his future endeavors" etc...If it happens as i predict, then expect to see me at the games next year with a f**king huge OUST DOUST sign.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
I think we should make a stand & say hey you signed in good faith after the tigers showed you the door & now that their plan has backfired we want you back"Bad Luck Buddy" however in saying that if he really doesn't want to come then lets make a deal give us a couple of yours & you can have him back.We'll take lawrence & they have a pretty good young 1/2 whose name i can't remember but he has had a few games & looks ok (&tough) to me & while we are at it lets take woods as well.If he does stay when we play them lets bomb the F...er all day & smash him.

The Rosco

Bench
If he wants out..seek compensation from the tigers... A contract is a contract. In saying that..don't want him @ the Dragons if he doesn't want to be here.

Great name there, champ.

Your logic astounds me.

Now, I'm no smarty like you . . . so to help me out here, could you please give me a quick run-down on how you would be entitled to compensation from the Tigers, when the contract is between Moltzen and STI ? :lol:

grouch

First Grade
Great name there, champ.

Your logic astounds me.

Now, I'm no smarty like you . . . so to help me out here, could you please give me a quick run-down on how you would be entitled to compensation from the Tigers, when the contract is between Moltzen and STI ? :lol:
Because the amateur-hour chook raffle-running Tigers organisation have coerced the renege, unless you really are naive enough to believe they haven't. I guess the whole Lui thing is just a co-incidence huh?

redvwhite

Juniors
Great name there, champ.

Your logic astounds me.

You don't think the Tigers are involved in the play to get him back? Ultimately, it is the Tigers that want him back to replace Lui. They can give us Lawrence at the same price! Tigers can't have much more money to offer Moltzen in any case.

grouch

First Grade
In any case it's still rumour, and the only official word so far has come from the same incompetent player agent that stuffed up the whole signing announcement in the first place

ebbedfred

Bench
It's pretty clear that any NRL contract is not worth the paper it's written on. Can easily be chopped and changed at will.

If he does not want to play for the Dragons let him go, BUT, why should the Dragons be left with the short end of the stick? You could argue we don't NEED him, but what happens when someone gets injured next year and we do NEED him? If he now goes it does not leave us any time to try and attract a significant signing. We will miss out until the following season.

If the Tigers really want him, they should have to compensate the Dragons for him. Hell, give us Benji instead, he'd go alright coming off the bench!

Cooper-Man

Bench
f**k HIM. If he ends up coming, he will need to win over the fans BIG TIME. No club or player is bigger the the RED V.

Cagey Mac

Bench
If he wants out then fine him 100k for breach of contract
If they won't cough up play him at hooker in the NSW cup
Don't do Sheens any favours he's already got enough advantage running and probably losing with the Kangaroos

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Great name there, champ.

Your logic astounds me.

And you're the spineless troll who cried like a baby when there were trolls in the WT forum.

Saints made a committment to Moltzen, if he and the WT want a release, then cough up the readies. When Tallis wanted to be released from Saints in 1996, the Broncos offered compo, but it was rejected on principle. You obviously know nothing about precedent.

By the by... the club you support is mess. Humphreys said he was the last to hear of Moltzen's release. Coach Sheens said the team had known about it for yonks. They dump Lui and bang, they want Moltzen to renege on a contract. Sounds like a well run organisation you have there.

WT supporters bagging out on Moltzen is the icing on the cake.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets look at the facts

*Moltzen decided to jump off what looked like a sinking ship, when he signed with Dragons
*There was no upheval other than Tigers officials having a cry because Dragons announced the signing.
*Dragons reportedly signed Moltzen for 200k which I believe would have been considerably more than the Tigers would have been able to afford to offer, given their one-eyed pursuit of Adam Blair.
*Lui allegedly hits his missus again, Players at Tigers don't want him around anymore, Officials gets scared at the prospect of having no halfback (they didn't have one when Lui played anyway) and try to get Moltzen back
*Tigers are at the cap limit and could only afford to provide Dragons with recompense of less than what Dragons signed Moltzen on for.

This last point is the major piece. Moltzen and Lui would be at the end of their minimum contracts (which I believe is 55k). if tigers dump Lui, they have freed up 55k. Along with the 55k Moltzen was already on, they're still 90k shy of matching Dragons offer. I can't see it mathematically working, and tbh, the fact this is going on is just making the Tigers look like a bunch of sooking amateurs.

As a Tigers fan, I hope Moltzen honours his new contract. He decided to leave. imo, Dragons are paying him overs (if the 200k salary is close to right), so he's a moron for wanting out of that deal.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Lets look at the facts

*Moltzen decided to jump off what looked like a sinking ship, when he signed with Dragons
*There was no upheval other than Tigers officials having a cry because Dragons announced the signing.
*Dragons reportedly signed Moltzen for 200k which I believe would have been considerably more than the Tigers would have been able to afford to offer, given their one-eyed pursuit of Adam Blair.
*Lui allegedly hits his missus again, Players at Tigers don't want him around anymore, Officials gets scared at the prospect of having no halfback (they didn't have one when Lui played anyway) and try to get Moltzen back
*Tigers are at the cap limit and could only afford to provide Dragons with recompense of less than what Dragons signed Moltzen on for.

This last point is the major piece. Moltzen and Lui would be at the end of their minimum contracts (which I believe is 55k). if tigers dump Lui, they have freed up 55k. Along with the 55k Moltzen was already on, they're still 90k shy of matching Dragons offer. I can't see it mathematically working, and tbh, the fact this is going on is just making the Tigers look like a bunch of sooking amateurs.

As a Tigers fan, I hope Moltzen honours his new contract. He decided to leave. imo, Dragons are paying him overs (if the 200k salary is close to right), so he's a moron for wanting out of that deal.

I like your sense of values regarding this matter but doubt the figures that you quote for Moltzen and Lui's contracts. I'd say 110k plus or around double your estimates would be more likely unless you have solid knowledge to the contrary

God-King Dean

Immortal
If Saints really are paying Moltzen 200K, then I hope he stays at Tigers lol.

Seems unwilling to put his body on the line. I was gobsmacked they were talking about him playing Origin a couple years back. :lol:

Egg on my face if Moltzen is the goods, but I really don't see it. Good utility value, but that's it IMO.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moltzen wants out of Dragons deal
Posted October 05, 2011 13:23:02
Wests Tigers utility Tim Moltzen could remain at the club next season after seeking a release from his deal to join St George Illawarra.
Tigers officials will meet with Moltzen's manager Martin Tauber on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the possibility of him staying.
Tauber admitted he was in the dark about the full extent of the situation, having just returned from overseas.
"I only got back from New York yesterday afternoon and to be honest, I have no idea what it is all about," Tauber said.
"I've got a meeting with the Tigers today and that's when I will know exactly what is going on.
"He has definitely signed with the Dragons, but now there is talk of a release so I am now off to find out more."

More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-05/moltzen-wants-out-of-dragons-deal/3299636

The Rosco

Bench
While I don't particularly agree with grown men reneging on their word . . . my point was that the Tigers club is not really liable . .legally speaking.

But now that a few saints fans THINK that the Tigers club is involved . . well, that changes everything.

Willow . . . lighten up mate. All harmless keyboard fun.

Breathingfire

Juniors
While I don't particularly agree with grown men reneging on their word . . . my point was that the Tigers club is not really liable . .legally speaking.

But now that a few saints fans THINK that the Tigers club is involved . . well, that changes everything.

Willow . . . lighten up mate. All harmless keyboard fun.

f**k off dickhead....now you want to renege on your original comments??? Must be a Tigers culture thing.

Breathingfire

Juniors

Explain why you "Hope this has legs" then???? Thats what you said in the Tigers forum???

What really pisses me off about all this is that the Tigers didn't want Moltzen. We had all these dickhead Tigers supporters laughing at us for signing him. They'd make a special trip over to the Dragons forum to tell us all that they didn't care, we could have him, he is shit, he can't do this, he can't do that etc. etc. Then after he hits form in the run into the finals all of the sudden he is a fan favourite. Your club and the majority of its supporters make me sick!

Latest posts