What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timana Tahu out, Joel Monaghan in for State of Origin II

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well of course that's what would happen - just like what was intended with Idris on the bench in game 1.

But if they're looking for effectiveness out of dummy half, there's a big difference between bringing a fresh Gidley off the bench, and shifting Gidley to hooker when he's just played 30 minutes of fullback. Especially since you want your fullback heavily involved in attack - Gidley shouldn't be fresh after 30 minutes of fullback.

But even moreso when Ennis comes back on, instead of Gidley going to the bench for a rest (because the defensive workrate at hooker is tiring) he'll be slotting back into fullback. How's he going to be fully effective after a stint at hooker?

Maybe when Ennis comes back on Hayne will stay at fullback with Gidley spending the rest of the game subbing with Ennis?

I guess the coaching staff only know.

Our dummy half would be knackered but at least we'd have a fresh winger.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
:D

We could run everything down the right side of the field. Give him 2 carries in every set and hope Queensland kick to him.

Actually, given the other two blokes to kick to are Morris and Hayne, they probably will kick to Monaghan.

Tahu should stop whining,whinging,wailing and balling his eyes out and man up to Joey not the media.
The media loves to get on this stuff.
We have footy show blokes saying it's alright to head butt blokes.Then they cry like babies about some off the cuff remarks like Johns has said.This type of stuff is said in various forms by black and white people all over the joint.
And let's not forget how and why Johns said what he said in the context of tactics.
Johns wasn't ranting in a drunken stupor out the front of Greg Inglis's house.
Crikey,.,Tahu is twice the size of Joey Johns and we all know that Johns couldn't rip the the skin of a custard tart.
He should tell Joey to his face he's a dick head prick,smack him in the gob if he reckons Johns deserves it and get then get on with his job of playing footy.
If every one who has a remark made against them chucked a big woosy fit and took their bat and ball and ran home to mummy like Tahu has done,this country would quickly collapse in a heap.
Tahu is supposed to be a big,rough,tough bloke playing against other tough as nails blokes in what is continually called the hardest contact sport in the world.
Tahu needs to prove he can hack it.
There is far to much of this pathetic political correctness and blokes having manicures and getting told what to wear by poofy girlie freaks.

Tahu should stop whining,whinging,wailing and balling his eyes out and man up to Joey not the media.
We have footy show blokes saying it's alright to head butt blokes.Then they cry like babies about some off the cuff remarks like Johns has said.This type of stuff is said in various forms by black and white people all over the joint.
And let's not forget how and why Johns said what he said in the context of tactics.
Crikey,.,Tahu is twice the size of Joey Johns and we all know that Johns couldn't rip the the skin of a custard tart.
He should tell Joey to his face he's a dick head prick,smack him in the gob if he reckons Johns deserves it and get then get on with his job of playing footy.
If every one who has a remark made against them chucked a big woosy fit and took their bat and ball and ran home to mummy like Tahu has done,this country would quickly collapse in a heap.
Tahu is supposed to be a big,rough,tough bloke playing against other tough as nails blokes in what is continually called the hardest contact sport in the world.
There is far to much of this pathetic political correctness and blokes having manicures and getting told what to wear by poofy girlie freaks.

What a bunch of sh*te . . .

Get Rugby League players to settle off-field disputes and issues by "smacking" each other :roll:

Tahu needs to prove he can hack it?

Pretty much proved he is far more capable than just "hacking it", by actually having the courage of conviction to take steps to positively instigate change.

I am certain the game of Rugby League is in a far better place, by reading a headline saying Tahu walked out of Origin camp on hearing Johns use the term "Black C U next Tuesday", rather than reading one saying Tahu smacked out Johns for a racial slur.

The latter would have just seen League dragged through the muck in the papers as it has been before: Matty Johns, Nate Myles, Joey Johns drugs, Brett Stewart etc.

At least this time, there will be something positive to come out of it.

ROGUE

Juniors
Your an embarassment,,,imbecile

spartan2153

Juniors
i originally said tahu sooked but wanted to find out if he approached the nswrl to see if they tried to cover it up.

Now that it has come to light, that they tried to sweep it under thge carpet. I would want a full investigation & bellamy should also be sacked on the spot with tahu telling everyone the ecact conversation bellamy had with him.

I tell you now if i was bellamy i wouldnt feel to comfortable about talking to inglis from now on. Bellamy is being exposed more & more as grub

Haynzy

First Grade
Looks like there are plenty of footy fans just as thick as the boys they idolise :roll:

muznik

Juniors
I really dont know what to think of all of this.

Johns shouldnt have said what he said. However in the context it was used (going by the reports) it doesnt seem to warrant Tahu giving up the jumper he, only a couple of weeks ago, held in the highest regard.

Part of me wants to agree with the HTFU comments but part of me wants to pat him on the back for standing up for his principles. I hope T can move past this and focus on the rest of the year with the Eels.

Only highlights why QLD are so dominant at the moment. In their camp there isnt any black, white or other colour other than Maroon.

spartan2153

Juniors
I really dont know what to think of all of this.

Johns shouldnt have said what he said. However in the context it was used (going by the reports) it doesnt seem to warrant Tahu giving up the jumper he, only a couple of weeks ago, held in the highest regard.

Part of me wants to agree with the HTFU comments but part of me wants to pat him on the back for standing up for his principles. I hope T can move past this and focus on the rest of the year with the Eels.

Only highlights why QLD are so dominant at the moment. In their camp there isnt any black, white or other colour other than Maroon.

Exactly.

lingard

Coach
Certainly Mundine often made the claim that he was hard done by on the grounds of his race....

Yes, and I think Nathan Blacklock may have said something along those lines, and Nathan Merrit as well. May be some truth in it. When you consider the number of fantastic aboriginal players in the NRL, and then look at how many have actually represented at the elite level - makes you wonder? And then when you consider the track record of white Australians in positions of power and how they`ve treated the aboriginal people .......... well, one and one makes two, doesn`t it?

lingard

Coach
What did that African-American lady do, in the 50s or 60s around then, when she was ordered to vacate her bus seat for a white person? Did she leave and get in a plane? No, she stood up for what she believed in. Now I don't know if there is any more to this Tahu thing that we don't know, and I certainly don't respect Tahu any less for the decision he made, but I know I would respect him a whole lot more if he faced up to it, made up with Joey and got on with the current task at hand. He said that his NSW jersey was the pinnacle, now he lets it go because of an unintentional racial slur? I mean, if he was playing a game and the opposition racially abused him directly (unlike what Joey is alleged to have done) would he walk off the field? If Anderson or another assistant coach at Parramatta made a racial slur would he leave the club? If Tahu thought it was best for the team to leave and bring another winger in, then that's fine. But if he was thinking only of his own emotions, well, I'll just say that there are plenty of people who have been subject to racial abuse before, and if all of them ran away like Tahu did, well there would be a lot less of them around these days.

1. How do you know it was unintentional?
2. Of course he wouldn`t walk off the field. But this didn`t happen on th field.
3. Maybe he would leave the club. Why not?

WA Eel

Juniors
How do you unintentionally call someone a black merkin?

Fully support Tahu's stand on this, particularly seeing as it's now come out that the NSWRL had simply tried to cover it up. I can see why Paul Osborne saw Tahu as a priority signing, for his leadership both on and off the field.

spartan2153

Juniors
why is it when mundine was saying there is racism in sport when he was playing league all the muppets out there bagged him for being a whinger.

Its becuse its mundine that all yoou muppets bag him but if it was soomeone else you would say how much courage they have. Its dissapointing how people have viewed tahiu as being the MAN. When mundine had been saying this 10 years ago.

Tahu should have stayed in camp & fronted the media afterwards & told them what happened. That the NSWRL & managers & coaching staff tried to cover it up. that is a more explosive scenario then quitting

why is it when mundine was saying there is racism in sport when he was playing league all the muppets out there bagged him for being a whinger.

Its becuse its mundine that all yoou muppets bag him but if it was soomeone else you would say how much courage they have. Its dissapointing how people have viewed tahiu as being the MAN. When mundine had been saying this 10 years ago.

Tahu should have stayed in camp & fronted the media afterwards & told them what happened. That the NSWRL & managers & coaching staff tried to cover it up. that is a more explosive scenario then quitting

Easy answer for that one.

Because Mundine and his gob have a reputation, coupled with the fact that he can not back up what he says - just look at the hobos and deadbets he picks as boxing opponents, while he ignores all the quality opposition calling him out.

He really has become a parody of himself in the media, and is duly treated like a joke. I remember him skirting around a justification for the Twin Towers terrorist attacks on the Today show September the 12th 2001.

I mean, come on . . . does anyone take Mundine seriously these days?

For that reason, any sense he may sprout, unfortunately gets lost in the whirlpools and eddies of his own bullsh*t that he is drowning in.

Tahu on the other hand:

Well spoken in the media; doesn't say too much, too often; deserved reputation as a tough but fair player, who while he may showboat a bit on the field (slam dunk try celebrations) is humble and likeable off of it.

It is therefore Tahu's credibility, versus Mundine's lack of, which I would think is easy for anybody to recognise as being why when Tahu speaks it is worth listening to; when it is Mundine - it is not worth the bother.

spartan2153

Juniors
i think tahu's credibilty is not as fanastic as you say.

at the end of the day everything mundine said 10 plus years ago has come to be true.
Rahus recent quotes to the media are not.

On union "I will not play union because i will catch a cold on the wing"( a month later he signs with them)

When at union he bags his fellow ex league players & there culture

Then deny's he is coming back to league & behold a month later signs back with league.

I even remember eric grothe saying about his pending signature back with the eels. I will believe it when he signs. Lets not forget the recent article on him from cannon i think it was. His word can also be full of it

lingard

Coach

1. I agree with what Mundine said. And why wouldn`t he come out now and make a comment? I think it is highly appropriate.
2. I don`t think Tahu quit or let his team-mates down. I think his actions show that some things are more important than a game of football.
3. It seems that the first natural reaction of most white Australians (I am a white Australian) when faced with the question of racism, is to down-play it; deny that it is really happening; say that it must have been unintentional, etc, etc. But most white Australians wouldn`t see the significance of racist remarks or attitudes because we have not experienced them.