What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timana Tahu out, Joel Monaghan in for State of Origin II

i think tahu's credibilty is not as fanastic as you say.

at the end of the day everything mundine said 10 plus years ago has come to be true.
Rahus recent quotes to the media are not.

On union "I will not play union because i will catch a cold on the wing"( a month later he signs with them)

When at union he bags his fellow ex league players & there culture

Then deny's he is coming back to league & behold a month later signs back with league.

I even remember eric grothe saying about his pending signature back with the eels. I will believe it when he signs. Lets not forget the recent article on him from cannon i think it was. His word can also be full of it

Fair points . . . but I still think he doesn't come close to Mundine in terms of crap sprouted.

Mundine is like the boy who cried wolf. Talks so much sh*t that no-one listens anymore, irrespective of whether or not it is valid.

I don't think Tahu is in that leauge yet.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
1. I agree with what Mundine said. And why wouldn`t he come out now and make a comment? I think it is highly appropriate.
2. I don`t think Tahu quit or let his team-mates down. I think his actions show that some things are more important than a game of football.
3. It seems that the first natural reaction of most white Australians (I am a white Australian) when faced with the question of racism, is to down-play it; deny that it is really happening; say that it must have been unintentional, etc, etc. But most white Australians wouldn`t see the significance of racist remarks or attitudes because we have not experienced them.

Count yourself lucky as a white Australian if you have not experienced racist remarks or attitudes. I am white Australian also and have experienced it on numerous occassions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Count yourself lucky as a white Australian if you have not experienced racist remarks or attitudes. I am white Australian also and have experienced it on numerous occassions.

Me too.

I went to primary school in Auburn and constantly got into fights because of my ethnicity.

I've copped it plenty of times, could you imagine how much sh*t i would be in if i gave it back?
I know a few blokes playing country footy who have been called White so and so's, but if they give it back they get reported and would be lucky to leave the ground in one piece.
The biggest problem is it seems to be racist to call someone a black so and so but its ok to be the other way round.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i think tahu's credibilty is not as fanastic as you say.

at the end of the day everything mundine said 10 plus years ago has come to be true.

What has he said that's come true?

Rahus recent quotes to the media are not.

On union "I will not play union because i will catch a cold on the wing"( a month later he signs with them)

So he changed his mind. What's wrong with that?

When at union he bags his fellow ex league players & there culture

And rightly so. League does have a culture of bullsh*t and f**kwittery and it's not just limited to the players.

Union, on the other hand, has a much better culture surrounding it - both the fans and the players. It's just a shame the game itself is so f**king painfully dull.

Then deny's he is coming back to league & behold a month later signs back with league.

A month's a long time in contract negotiations. Obviously things changed in that month. Or do you think he would lie just for the sake of it?

I even remember eric grothe saying about his pending signature back with the eels. I will believe it when he signs. Lets not forget the recent article on him from cannon i think it was. His word can also be full of it

Cannon was just pissed off that Tahu left union and fired a well-deserved parting shot. He didn't make Tahu look bad; he just made himself look bad.

spartan2153

Juniors
your missing my point.

Well if somebody you knew went back on the word & bagged a code that fed it i would say there f*cken idiots but because its a parra player his credibilty cant be questioned. Take off the blue & gold glasses & see it for what it is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The biggest problem is it seems to be racist to call someone a black so and so but its ok to be the other way round.

That's because being called a white so-and-so is no big deal.

I mean, who really cares? Even Andrew Johns called himself White Trash which is something plenty of white people throw around - I doubt many people find it offensive.

But plenty of black people - especially kids - are ashamed of it, and throwing 'black merkin' around doesn't help them.

Of course, a lot of left-wing hand wringers (most of them white) are trying to make white people ashamed of their race, and they're enthusiastically helped along by racist idiots like Anthony Mundine.

In a perfect world people would be proud or ashamed based only on their own achievements, and for the people who feel safe, secure and prosperous this is generally the case. That's why most white people don't care about racial slurs directed against them.

But as people become more scared, uncertain and insecure (for example, poor people who live in hostile environments) they seek refuge in the group - generally people who look like them and talk like them - and that usually means race.

So since aboriginals are generally subject to the constant threats of violence and poverty and hopelessness, they are more likely to identify strongly with their ethnic group, making racist slurs like 'black merkin' that much more hurtful.

In the same way, it's usually the poorest white people who go on about white pride and sh*t like that - the uncertainty in their lives makes them identify more strongly with their race, and so they're more sensitive to things like being called a 'Captain Cook merkin' and so on.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
your missing my point.

Maybe I am and maybe you're missing mine. I blame the text-based medium.

Well if somebody you knew went back on the word & bagged a code that fed it i would say there f*cken idiots but because its a parra player his credibilty cant be questioned. Take off the blue & gold glasses & see it for what it is.

Tahu's owes union nothing. He gave the code two years of his life - he's got every right to bag it, and if he bags league after he retires then that's his business too.

Personally I used to work in construction and I put sh*t on it then and I continue to put sh*t on it today. Now that I'm doing my dream job I still consider my years wasted in construction to be years I'll never get back. And I try hard not to have any regrets.

barney gumble

Juniors
What an unbelievable beat up this all is!!

I remember years ago Michael O'Connor making some ridiculous, mindless comment that was somewhat demeaning to Aboriginies, just before an Origin. A little bit of it was discussed in the media but Mal Meninga sorted out by bashing O'Connor for 80 minutes on the footy field.

Sure Johns is mindless, halfbreed Cessnock trailer trash. But Tahu surely could've handled it better. One week the blues jersey means more than a wallaby jersey, the next week he throws it away because of the comments of an imbacile. Timana Tahu or Timana Boo hoo?

And what about the moral high ground being taken by the pathetic multi posters who constantly feel the need to deytroy every post by making a half dozen comments every page where they essentially say the same thing? VERY BORING!!! get a life and give other people a go!!

So yeah bring it on losers (I know the multi posters won't resist). I won't respond though because a heated argument in cyberspace is one usually undertaken by cowards who wouldn't dare make such comments in the open.

Michael O'Connor was kicking about in the 80s . . .

A Quarter of a Century onwards, it isn't too much to expect that social progress deems these sorts of gaffes far less acceptable.

strider

Post Whore
:nwave: kermet the frog here .... what of mundine's has come true? because joey johns has opened his dumb mouth AGAIN! and been an idiot, that means that indigenous players never get picked for NSW or Australia??? wtf? I guess Tahu being there was a mirage - its all in our imaginations

:roll: ... pleeeease - mundine's biggest problem in life is that he opens his mouth - he is an idiot

Gazzamatta

Coach
Unthinking or well thought out remarks re another persons colour, nationality, race, religion, size, physical features, clothes sence, sexuality, habbits, speach, personality or anything else the human brain can come up with, will continue to be inflicted upon each and every one of us until the end of time. We have all been subjected to it and I dare say have been guilty of it at some time in our lives. Its footy. A tough hard agressive form of activity where ones mental and physical toughness will always be put to the test. On the surface there are so many better ways of handling such an issue.
Obviously there is more to this than any of us will ever know. From what I have read and heard to this point, in my opinion, Tahu has not handled this at all well. It is my opinion that he sought to make this a huge issue for whatever reason. Then again maybe he didnt but are we to believe he is that niave?
Some say he was courageous for going public. Maybe so, but in my opinion it was not a clever way to act. I have a terrible feeling that he will carry the mental scars of his actions for a long time and that it will affect his footy.
He never really liked playing wing did he.

spartan2153

Juniors

the racism u recieve would be nothing compared what a aboriginal or european would have recieved growing up 20 years ago.

I have uncles that got beat up everyday coming home from school just because they were european. My dad was told they wouldn't buy food from his shop because he was a Mediterranean Descendant. This only being 6 months ago. So white australia has no idea what they have gone thru.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
the racism u recieve would be nothing compared what a aboriginal or european would have recieved growing up 20 years ago.

I have uncles that got beat up everyday coming home from school just because they were european. My dad was told they wouldn't buy food from his shop because he was a Mediterranean Descendant. This only being 6 months ago. So white australia has no idea what they have gone thru.

You have no idea of the racism I have encountered. I don't want to go into it here.

jk13

First Grade
will be interesting to see what ch9 do with him after his brothers incident. maybe the andrew johns show for ch10 in 2011. what a wanker, after all his chances the clown still doesn't have any idea.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Racism against whites isn't kosher either. It has to be a two-way street on these things.

Anyway I hope Tahu returns for SOO II. Hindy has suggested that he might. Its on the Sydney Morning Herald. I would post the link but apparently there's a rule on the forum saying you can't post a link if you haven't had more than 20 posts (?!). I tried earlier.