What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

franklin2323

Immortal
Do you even watchthe games? Hes playing first and second receiver already. He wont lose space... he will have the.same space he has now.

He was playing wider early in the year and had less time and space to work with. They have highlighted how he got shut down earlier in the tear and now he's getting the vall earlier he's better for it.

The only area he would change at all is fielding kick returns.

No he wasn't 100% fit early in the year. Now he is fit he is flying.

Is there a half in the comp defence wouldn't know where they will stand in attack? A fullback stands further back can choose when they get involved or not making them harder to stop. Standing in the line as half oppostion teams will just follow him and rush up when our attack goes that side.

betcats

Referee
Look at the Wallace try. Late in the tackle he was able to just pop up in the attacking line and do his thing. Harder for defence to know where or when a FB will come up. Compare that to a half that stands either left of right side usually 4 in. Can be targeted in defence and attack easier that way. Not saying we shouldn't try it just not sure he will be better then he is now as a half

Mate you are flat out clutching at straws here imo. He has been attacking as a half atleast 90 percent of the time, there is no doubt about that. He is getting more touches and all the quality ones and most of them by far from first or second receiver. He isn't just popping up here or there, he is on the ball as much as Cronk or JT.

There are some good arguments to be made for keeping Moylan at FB but I don't think how he is attacking is one of them.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Anyway I know its a lot less likely than some other options but Dylan Edwards might factor into this whole debate at some point next year(or later). If he can have a big offseason and start the year well depending how TMM is travelling they might consider moving Moylan for Edwards.

franklin2323

Immortal
Mate you are flat out clutching at straws here imo. He has been attacking as a half atleast 90 percent of the time, there is no doubt about that. He is getting more touches and all the quality ones and most of them by far from first or second receiver. He isn't just popping up here or there, he is on the ball as much as Cronk or JT.

There are some good arguments to be made for keeping Moylan at FB but I don't think how he is attacking is one of them.

getting touches from behind from our attacking line are different then in the line is all I am saying. This allows him to have more impact then he would at halves imo. Though I have no doubt he will get a run in the hlaves in the trials and go from there

Frankus

Juniors
If Bryce moves to the backrow next season to accommodate either TMM or Moylan - who sits on the bench? Yeo or JFH? Both played 80 minutes yesterday. I'm fine for this to happen so long as he does the tough stuff and works on his defence.

As good an idea as it is, moving Moylan to the halves closes more doors than it opens in my opinion.

betcats

Referee
getting touches from behind from our attacking line are different then in the line is all I am saying. This allows him to have more impact then he would at halves imo. Though I have no doubt he will get a run in the hlaves in the trials and go from there

Fair enough it is different when he is getting ball out the back further from the line but I just don't see him getting a lot of those touches throughout a game. He still does sometimes I know but has been doing most of his damage from other areas recently.

betcats

Referee
If Bryce moves to the backrow next season to accommodate either TMM or Moylan - who sits on the bench? Yeo or JFH? Both played 80 minutes yesterday. I'm fine for this to happen so long as he does the tough stuff and works on his defence.

As good an idea as it is, moving Moylan to the halves closes more doors than it opens in my opinion.

Bryce will be moving to the back row of that I have no doubt.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair enough it is different when he is getting ball out the back further from the line but I just don't see him getting a lot of those touches throughout a game. He still does sometimes I know but has been doing most of his damage from other areas recently.

it's not just him but we seem to struggle when attacking in the 20. Seems our best work is done around the halfway line. I put it down to space from a relaxed defence

age.s

First Grade

Seems to open as many as it closes imo. Our edges have been outstanding in the second half of the year. Where do Peachy/Blake go if Whare and Hiku are fit? How can we give Edwards a taste of FG? Will DWZ be content as a winger forever?

These are nice problems to have tbf.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

JFH. I like him coming off the bench more anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
Seems to open as many as it closes imo. Our edges have been outstanding in the second half of the year. Where do Peachy/Blake go if Whare and Hiku are fit? How can we give Edwards a taste of FG? Will DWZ be content as a winger forever?

Hiku should be shipped off hopefully

mxlegend99

Referee

Exactly.

Jfh to bench. The guy is a beast and I like him for impact. Nice to know we can get 80 minutes out of Yeo, Cartwright and JFH if we need to.

Whare is good enough to make room for. Hiku isn't. Even then they need to get out in the trials and show a bit of form first.

I would have DWZ, Edwards and Hiku all training to play wing and fullback. With it being a shootout for the #1 jersey.

Left edge of Mansour and Peachey for mine is good as it is.
Right edge I would look at Whare and Blake once Whare is proven to be fit. If not Blake keeps right centre and right wing goes to one of the backups from the fullback shootout.

1 DWZ / Edwards / Hiku
2. Mansour
3. Peachey
4. Whare / Blake
5. Blake / Hiku / Edwards / DWZ

Whare is too good to leave out if he is fit and in form. You include a fit Whare before TMM for sure.

Although I think TMM could be a perfect benchie for us.

Pomoz

Bench
If TMM is interested in staying at the Panthers, the most obvious position for him might be hooker. Cam Smith has shown a hooker can be the most influential player on the field. He could make that position his own and bring to it his passing skills and kicking game. If he wants to be a 5/8th then he will leave. I can't see this ending anywhere other than with Moylan at 5/8th and Edwards at fullback. The one unknown is whether Edwards can step up to first grade. I think he can, but only time will tell. He brings speed to that position that Moylan will never have.

TMM, Edwards, Moylan and Cleary is quite a spine. Especially when you have Cartwright in the back row and offloading and ball players like Merrin, Latu and Mansour. That skill set could give Penrith a chance to create something special.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
One added advantage of having Cartwright at 5/8 that I suspect is also helping our success is the fact that it means we have an all-round massive side on the field (i.e. we have JFH and Yeo on the field at the same time as Cartwright - the biggest 5/8 in the comp!).

With Yeo, Merrin, Cartwright and Wallace playing 80mins, it means that we basically just rotate our props. I think this is part of the reason that the fourth bench spot hasn't been very important for us and I also suspect this has helped us remain tighter in defence and physically dominant late into games.

maple_69

Bench
Moylan, Mansour, Whare, Blake, DWZ, TMM, Cleary, Tamou, Wallace, RCG, Yeo, Cartwright, Merrin, Latu, JFH, Peachey, Grevsmuhl

I think Moylans vision at the back is a huge asset. He gets the most out of our kick returns and our defence seems to have improved as he has warmed into the season. Basically I think he can get involved in more situations from fullback and we want Moylan involved in as many situations as possible. I have no doubt he'd make a great half though.

I think everyone is right in the last few pages of this thread though. We have a lot of guys who could take any of these contested positions. Griffin has shown he has a bit more tactical nous than most have him credit for. Myself included. We are playing a very different style of footy to anyone else. How guys like Whare and Martin fit into that will play a big role.

I also think we will see a bit more shuffling of the side game to game. We'll have the stability in the side and spine that we haven't had for a long time until the last two months. That makes it easier to make a change or two around the edges, utilizing high quality players at all times to match up to our opposition. Like yesterday's game plan. Maybe we are generally rolling Whare at centre, but we chuck Peach in his place against the Dogs for his footwork and elusiveness. Then Whare is back in against the Tigers because we know we can dismantle them with more structured attack. Maybe Hiku comes in when we want to create a lot of second phase play. Same goes for the bench and fringe forwards.

betcats

Referee
Is there really any argument that Moylan shouldn't be playing in the halves? His vision and ball playing is scary good, as good as any half in the game he belongs in the halves where he can maximise that talent. We don't need him wasting energy playing fb as well. Watching Dallin repeatedly run over that Raiders number 15 has me convinced he can really add something as FB, he might not be that quick over 100 but he has great acceleration and the ability to break tackles, he would be very dangerous running through the middle off our playmakers.

I've had my say about the Bryce experiment and while he did have some very good games there he also had some very poor ones, id say he was ineffective for a third of his games there, maybe more and that is including the two biggest games of the season. He is still having troubles with basics like holding on to the ball and defence, he needs to focusing on that not worrying about when to play like a half. I wont say its been a waste of time for him but I think moving Moylan all those weeks ago would of been a better move and going forward is the only move. TMM is great but right now he is so far away from Moylan as a half.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I think it is pretty straightforward. I would play the trials and the first couple of games at least with Cleary-TMM in the halves and Moylan at fullback; I mean, if we have the bloke, and were willing to give him a go before he got injured, we should offer him the chance again, and we know Moylan can still have a massive influence from the back. But we should be ready to slot Moylan at 6 and DWZ/Hiku at the back if it doesn't work out.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it is pretty straightforward. I would play the trials and the first couple of games at least with Cleary-TMM in the halves and Moylan at fullback; I mean, if we have the bloke, and were willing to give him a go before he got injured, we should offer him the chance again, and we know Moylan can still have a massive influence from the back. But we should be ready to slot Moylan at 6 and DWZ/Hiku at the back if it doesn't work out.

I think if Moylan was fit early on in the season we would of seen the move earlier. Timing just didn't work out this season.I have no doubt he will train at 6 and get some trial time at 6. Whether it works better than him at 1 is the question that needs to be answered

betcats

Referee
I'd rather just pick the best halves pairing and go from there. Anyone playing 6 while Moylan is at FB is just going to be a passenger not getting the kind of ball halves would usually get or need to be effective. It was worked out ok with Bryce because he could just revert to playing like a forward, TMM wont have that option what is he going to be doing when Moylan is dominating the ball getting two or three touches a set along with Cleary?

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd rather just pick the best halves pairing and go from there. Anyone playing 6 while Moylan is at FB is just going to be a passenger not getting the kind of ball halves would usually get or need to be effective.

all that matters is winning games not who us on here think is the best halves pairing. As long as Moylan is in the team we will have points in us. The new coaching staff might want size in the 6 or Peachey there now that Whare/Hiku's back

Latest posts