What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

betcats

Referee
Dallin was solid, provided the final pass in two tries but the kiwis weren't on at all. TMM barely touched the ball when he came on.

Away at a bucks party did TMM look up to it? still think its insanity that we have probably he second best half in the world and we wont play Moylan at 5/8

betcats

Referee
Away at a bucks party did TMM look up to it? still think its insanity that we have probably he second best half in the world and we wont play Moylan at 5/8

Yeah you know I agree re Moylan but anyway....Only watched 2nd half, he went on after bout 20 cause leuluai broke his jaw. Hard to say cause he was on the left and they barely moved the ball out to that side. Didn't do anything wrong but I think the only time I saw him on the ball was from dummy half a couple times coming off the line. He ran some nice support lines and was positioned well for an offload plenty of time but it never came. I wouldn't be that confident if he had to play 80 against Australia..

He had the same problem getting involved when he's played for us. Everyone blamed Soward for not giving him the ball. I think that was bullshit

betcats

Referee
Yeah no way Soward froze him out, the guy stepped out of the way with class and supported Cleary when it was clear the coach was going with him. Like Griffin said TMM will get more involved when he is ready, it's up to him to get on the ball and demand it, I'd say our guys were just not forcing the ball on him which is good. But at the international level it's not really a good situation for him.

Blues Riff

Bench
I dozed off and missed TMMs stint. He seems to have bulked up, I noticed as he stood shoulder to shoulder with Marty Tapau during the anthem.

maple_69

Bench
This is why Brooks, Moses and so many other young halves before them have struggled so much at the start of their careers. Most young halves will take a while to get the confidence to demand the ball from the best players in the world. We can't forget that Cleary is probably a once in a generation exception.

For us and for Martin i think it will work well. We continue our system without too much change. We get a slightly different skill set on the field if we are in a pinch or kicking option. Martin gets the time he needs without any pressure to find his feet.

franklin2323

Immortal

only had 20 mins no glaring errors. played a big part in their last try. He's a support running 5/8th rather then a ballplayer. Wouldn't surprise me if he and Moylan changed roles during the game

betcats

Referee
only had 20 mins no glaring errors. played a big part in their last try. He's a support running 5/8th rather then a ballplayer. Wouldn't surprise me if he and Moylan changed roles during the game

Why do you say that? His ball playing was one of the highest rated parts of his game coming out of the nyc. Tigers fans were raving about his ability to put players through holes and his slight of hand.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why do you say that? His ball playing was one of the highest rated parts of his game coming out of the nyc. Tigers fans were raving about his ability to put players through holes and his slight of hand.

I can't see him playing a structured 5/8th's role. He'd be much better running off Cartwright or Merrin's offload then just staying on left or right side.

betcats

Referee
I can't see him playing a structured 5/8th's role. He'd be much better running off Cartwright or Merrin's offload then just staying on left or right side.

I agree he shouldn't be pinned to one side but he has shown in the lower grades the potential to be a great ballplayer as well as possessing a nice running game. It doesn't have to be one or the other. With Moylan and to a lesser extent Cleary dominating the ball TMMs touches as a traditional 5/8th will be limited and he will have to find other ways to involve himself but I would not be pigeon holing him as "just a runner" when he has shown he has much more abilty than that.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree he shouldn't be pinned to one side but he has shown in the lower grades the potential to be a great ballplayer as well as possessing a nice running game. It doesn't have to be one or the other. With Moylan and to a lesser extent Cleary dominating the ball TMMs touches as a traditional 5/8th will be limited and he will have to find other ways to involve himself but I would not be pigeon holing him as "just a runner" when he has shown he has much more abilty than that.

Moylan also has a great passing game so I won't be surprised for those 2 to switch at some stage. Then we don't lose Moylan's skills at the back but actually have someone faster too

Kilkenny

Coach
Barring serious injuries in our halves I don't think there is any doubt that Moylan will play fullback. He can chime into the front line where ever and when ever he feels like it, which I think he is most effective.