What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

age.s

First Grade
How do people feel about Moylan going into Origin camp this week? Would be good for confidence and you'd think he'll get a lot out of it but it takes him out of the team environment at a time when were working on getting combinations settled. Thoughts?

franklin2323

Immortal
How do people feel about Moylan going into Origin camp this week? Would be good for confidence and you'd think he'll get a lot out of it but it takes him out of the team environment at a time when were working on getting combinations settled. Thoughts?

He needs to be with the team. The 1st half attack was shocking and won't get better with the team not training together

franklin2323

Immortal
He has no need to now because we have a viable option at fullback. Edwards has shown he can step up and do the job well and really add to our attacking potency.

This is what people forget. We were so ordinary when we have had another FB in the past. When Edwards is best used then it will be our team aside from possible short term moves

OldPanther

Coach
He needs to be with the team. The 1st half attack was shocking and won't get better with the team not training together

Yeah they need to be working on this stuff. Though he may pick up some valuable experience with a different group he can bring back. He admitted after the game they started going off their gameplan and doing a 2016 Dragons so hopefully they understand what's needed.

betcats

Referee
So he's actually been worse defensively than I'd hoped for in terms of technique anyway. He controls his side well and gets off the line quick and will put his body on the line no problems which is great but i just wish he had clearys old school technique, it would stop him getting pushed off a lot.

greynurse

Juniors
Did anyone notice that the try to Corey wouldn't have happened unless we had Edwards at Fullback. Moylan still would have had the ball but he wouldn't have anyone to dummy the ball too. As he would of been the number 1. Edwards is a must because we get a fullback in attack now, not 2 5/8s.

OldPanther

Coach
Did anyone notice that the try to Corey wouldn't have happened unless we had Edwards at Fullback. Moylan still would have had the ball but he wouldn't have anyone to dummy the ball too. As he would of been the number 1. Edwards is a must because we get a fullback in attack now, not 2 5/8s.

Yeah I said the same thing in a comment on here as well. Having a good running fullback who makes good decisions is invaluable. Running off Moylan's silky passing is even better. We have a lot more threat in attack now as we have options.

Have been saying this for a few years and been laughed at. Simple f**king stuff

betcats

Referee

Yep I touched on this in one of the other threads, we will benefit massively from having a genuine fullback in attack, gives the creative players another option and he will take a lot of offloads playing with our forwards.

franklin2323

Immortal
From this story

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...d/news-story/6b05e331584ae0db18e962d57396f889

Plenty of people have asked why didn’t it happen sooner? Like at the start of last season or earlier this year?

But Griffin clearly knows how to get the best out of his players and Moylan has grabbed the challenge.

“Matt wasn’t ready to play five-eighth at the start of last year because he was coming off a long-term ankle injury,” Griffin said.

“But circumstances have changed now in relation to both his leadership and his form. His two games for us at five-eighth this year have been great. He’s really maturing as a player and as a person.”

So maybe the coach does have an idea what he is doing. Despite what keyboard heroes on here think.

It is like Bryce to 6. That was the best of what we had the time

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Ha, you've really thrown in with Griffin, haven't you? So I take it you are going to be supporting Edwards at the back now, given that "the coach does have an idea what he is doing"? Or is it only keyboard warrioring when people disagree with you?

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
That excuse makes no sense

Of course it doesn't (how the hell is playing at fullback any better for the ankle? One could argue it is probably worse given that fullback needs more speed, sharpness, covers more ground, collision speed at the tackle is higher.... I mean, what?)

But fanboys will fanboy, and franklin will take anything at the moment.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I mean, how can you with a straight face argue that this is some masterstroke from Griffin when the lead up to the decision went:

Loss
Loss
Loss
Loss

Shit we need Cartwright back
Loss
Win
after a completely shit first half
Win after a completely shit first half
Shit Cartwright is injured
f**k, Moylan I guess
Win
Win

I'm a genius

TheFrog

Coach
Win
I'm a genius
Words to this effect were being uttered on Fox this week. Something along the lines of "masterstroke of the season". Even I had to gag.

What I suspect is that he was more worried about filling the 1 than Moylan playing 6. Something must have convinced him that Edwards is a first grade fullback.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ha, you've really thrown in with Griffin, haven't you? So I take it you are going to be supporting Edwards at the back now, given that "the coach does have an idea what he is doing"? Or is it only keyboard warrioring when people disagree with you?

No the difference is I don't say Griffin can't coach because of it. He will say why he prefers Edwards over Dallen at some stage

franklin2323

Immortal
Words to this effect were being uttered on Fox this week. Something along the lines of "masterstroke of the season". Even I had to gag.

What I suspect is that he was more worried about filling the 1 than Moylan playing 6. Something must have convinced him that Edwards is a first grade fullback.

Exactly to both of this we didn't train as TMM/Cleary halves all season to chance it mid season without injury. last year we had so many backs out there was no choice really

franklin2323

Immortal
Of course it doesn't (how the hell is playing at fullback any better for the ankle? One could argue it is probably worse given that fullback needs more speed, sharpness, covers more ground, collision speed at the tackle is higher.... I mean, what?)

But fanboys will fanboy, and franklin will take anything at the moment.

Did you speak to him after he played the trial in 6? He might of told the coach it was too much at the time. There is more to everything then how it looks

OldPanther

Coach
From this story

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...d/news-story/6b05e331584ae0db18e962d57396f889

Plenty of people have asked why didn’t it happen sooner? Like at the start of last season or earlier this year?

But Griffin clearly knows how to get the best out of his players and Moylan has grabbed the challenge.

“Matt wasn’t ready to play five-eighth at the start of last year because he was coming off a long-term ankle injury,” Griffin said.

“But circumstances have changed now in relation to both his leadership and his form. His two games for us at five-eighth this year have been great. He’s really maturing as a player and as a person.”

So maybe the coach does have an idea what he is doing. Despite what keyboard heroes on here think.

It is like Bryce to 6. That was the best of what we had the time

Keyboard heroes? Pretty sure I've given reasoned arguments with data to back up what I'm saying. As for what was said there it sounds like a cover, playing fullback and 5/8 at the same time would be just as stressful or more so on a bad ankle as just 5/8.

Latest posts